C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot tunnel area

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM
waldow
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

inside my console area temp will run from 104 to 110 on 90+ days when I'm out having fun ( ie- aggressive driving on curvy/mountain roads) . No problem at all - just don't put chocolate in there !!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a 45 minute trip to Irving. I had placed one of my tools in my console while at a meeting. When I got home, I checked the temp of it with an infrared thermometer. It was 120 degrees. (it was 104 on the thermometer on the dash)

That would definately melt chocolate!

It also takes about 10 minutes to heat up a soft drink can to the point where I just throw it away.

I'm going to do something this week.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Atomic Orange
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

The tunnel gets warm/hot and so does the cargo area. My advice is to not carry your ice crem in the console because it will melt for sure. Other than that, the air conditioning sustem in the car is so efficient that if you want you can chill the cockpit pretty good. Just think ,the SR-71 got hotter and pilots loved it any how.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 PM
dtvet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano

It also takes about 10 minutes to heat up a soft drink can to the point where I just throw it away.

See, you should NEVER drink and drive. . . .
Old 08-13-2007, 07:01 PM
dtvet
Instructor

Originally Posted by rsimoes
Is there ANY improvement on making the car stiffer? (especially in a convertible) Or is that also questionable?
How about the stiffness issue? Do those plates really help or not really?

Does GM offer a TSB on the heat issue with their own fix?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by rsimoes
How about the stiffness issue? Do those plates really help or not really?

Does GM offer a TSB on the heat issue with their own fix?
***Qualifier*** I don't have a tunnel plate on my C6.

With that said, every post I've read from anyone that has installed one is pleased with the added rigidity that it brings to an all ready riged frame and stable platform.

There is no TSB on the heat issue. It is not perceived by GM Engineering as an "issue" that warrants a fix. The car is low to the ground, uses lightweight parts and has a true header/dual exhaust system that runs right beneath the driver compartment. Additionally, you have a rear transmission that needs to have power reach it from a front engine car. This will require moving parts which generate friction which generate heat...not much can be done for the cost of the car. You can add insulation, you can add a thicker tunnel plate both of which will help some. At the end of the day this is still a sports car and the heating is well within the norm for a high performance vehicle.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We have a few different items that fit right in with what you need.

First we have a thicker tunnel plate that helps reflect some of the heat. Also comes with holes to run the O2 sensor wires above to keep them from the heat (C5 model shown)

The easiest way is a very light weight tunnel blanket that not only reflects the heat but insulates you from the exhaust. The entire thing weighs less than 2lbs.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:21 PM
dtvet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

First we have a thicker tunnel plate that helps reflect some of the heat. Also comes with holes to run the O2 sensor wires above to keep them from the heat

The easiest way is a very light weight tunnel blanket that not only reflects the heat but insulates you from the exhaust. The entire thing weighs less than 2lbs.
How thick is it? Is it aluminum? Does that blanket go on top or below the plate? Does it fit the stock plate? I didn't follow your O2 comment. How is it different than the stock plate?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a number of aftermarket companies that make replacement heat abatement plates so the market must be there. It may not be an engineering problem for GM but I think it's a marketing problem. IMO it's 'corvette tax' added at the factory in use of a cheap lightweight part instead of a thicker one perhaps with insulation.

In other words I think it's a calculated decision by GM to lower quality on things that probably won't lower sales-like the one side fits both front brake rotors for example.

I don't find it a problem but will probably replace it if I buy an 08 with NPP exhaust. No reports yet on heat on NPP but it may be more than stock since it's more like the Z06? I don't know.

Reading the Z06 area the comments are much stronger than here on base C6 . Apparently a lot more heat is coming off the big 427 pipes into a same sized area and an identical stock tunnel plate.

So if I bought a Z06 I'd consider tunnel plate replacement mandatory just from what I've read from actual Z06 owners.

The whole thing is easily fixed though and not a big deal in terms of other positives about the car. Don't let it stop you from buying. This is what GM knows and why the factory part is thin and cheap. They know they can get away with it so they do.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
dtvet
Instructor

So what's the best one to get? Thick aluminum, stainless steel or ? Also, I saw that some require the replacement of the studs to longer ones. Does this in any way obstruck the exhaust because it is much thicker?

Last edited by dtvet; 08-14-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure the tunnel plate helps with the heat and provides some insulation before the heat gets in to the car. The problem is those two center frame rails transfer a lot of heat. What I found to work very well is thermo-tec heat shield. It was designed for the C5, but it fits the C6 with no problems. I had it for my 05, and this weekend it's going on the 08'

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...6&autoview=sku
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
There are a number of aftermarket companies that make replacement heat abatement plates so the market must be there. It may not be an engineering problem for GM but I think it's a marketing problem. IMO it's 'corvette tax' added at the factory in use of a cheap lightweight part instead of a thicker one perhaps with insulation.

In other words I think it's a calculated decision by GM to lower quality on things that probably won't lower sales-like the one side fits both front brake rotors for example.

I don't find it a problem but will probably replace it if I buy an 08 with NPP exhaust. No reports yet on heat on NPP but it may be more than stock since it's more like the Z06? I don't know.

Reading the Z06 area the comments are much stronger than here on base C6 . Apparently a lot more heat is coming off the big 427 pipes into a same sized area and an identical stock tunnel plate.

So if I bought a Z06 I'd consider tunnel plate replacement mandatory just from what I've read from actual Z06 owners.

The whole thing is easily fixed though and not a big deal in terms of other positives about the car. Don't let it stop you from buying. This is what GM knows and why the factory part is thin and cheap. They know they can get away with it so they do.
Even living in the extremely hot climate of Arizona I don't find heat emanating from the interior console to be excessive or unbearable. Certainly what one considers objectionable is subjective. I imagine a very small minority of C6 owners replace their tunnel plate or add insulating material.

That said I did install the Elite Engineering tunnel plate when I modified my car. My primary motivation was to increase rigidity to reduce the flex in the chassis and improve the C6 suspension. When I added long tube headers the catalytic converters were relocated further back under the console area...increasing the potential for heat transference. Accordingly, my secondary purpose was heat reduction.

If you do find console heat to be a problem, it is not exactly a major operation to switch to an after-market tunnel plate. The cost is minimal and the benefits are twofold.

You might want to visit the Elite Engineering web site for further information and to review their data on heat reduction.

Also, I wouldn't buy a new car and consider this a "mandatory" modification. Drive your new car for a sufficient time in order to make-up your own mind.

Certainly every component going into the production of a car is a "calculated decision"...there are technical, cost-benefit and other considerations. The stock tunnel plate is quite sufficient for the purpose it serves.

I choose not to portray GM as an 'evil' manufacturer deliberately installing cheap parts just "because they can get away with it." The fact is GM has made a beautiful, technologically advanced, high performance car which is affordable. My 2005 C6 has been very reliable and performs well despite all the so-called "cheap" parts. IMO if one feels that GM is that sleazy he should sell the 'cheap' GM car he bought and buy a Ferrari or perhaps a Veyron.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
I am sure the tunnel plate helps with the heat and provides some insulation before the heat gets in to the car. [/URL]
The plate will HOLD IN THE HEAT, not help abate it. Insulation of some sort is the answer.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
patpprice
Racer

I've made several long trips in my 06 now and it has never bothered me. This forum prevented me from having any console chocolate meltdowns though!

It's really just your personal choice. IMO it is not enough to warrant a "must do" mod. Now, when I mod my stock exhaust, I'll probably put one on because the area is opened up anyway, and I'll kill two birds with one stone.

As far as the cupholder, get you an insulated cup. Buy the vette, you;ll be glad you did!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:52 PM
dtvet
Instructor

I spoke with my brother, who was a GM engineer for 12 years, about this plate change and this is the response he gave me. I thought there were some good points in it: (ps. he has an 07 Convertible and a 65 VW Kharmann Ghia that he is restoring)

"Makes sense in theory. If I suggested that change to GM, as an engineer I would have to answer the following questions:

1- Is there an advantage that is even measureable, and would it make up for the greater cost?

2- If is is stiffer, would that add stress to the rest of the car's structure? How about extra stress from the fact aluminum expands and contracts more than steel with temperature changes? Probably not an issue, but I would have to test it.

3- Would the aluminum crack with age? More testing.

4- I guess the ceramic insulation is needed because normally aluminum tranfers heat better than steel. Is there a problem with hot floors on Corvettes? I never noticed [on mine].

I guess any change to the design is a risk. Then again, I am tripling the HP on my Ghia......."
Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
The plate will HOLD IN THE HEAT, not help abate it. Insulation of some sort is the answer.

Hence my recommendation of the heat shield rather than the tunnel plate
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Replaced my Tunnel Plate in my 05

I replaced my Tunnel Plate with a 1/4" ceramic coated aluminum plate that also had insulation (from "Thermal-Abs" Elite Engineering). The plate that I removed (factory C6 05 Z-51) was aluminum. It as about half the thickness of the EE Tunnel Plate. The install was easy, esp since I was also putting on an X pipe and Corsa exhaust.

I live in Las Vegas (very hot - often above 110 on the roads and lots of traffic). I didn't feel a lot of heat coming through the center console even before adding the EE Tunnel Plate, but it is defiantly less now. For the cost (under $300) and ease of installation (about an hour), it was worth it for me. Haven't noticed any real difference in stiffness.

The EE web site shows some temperature reduction documentation (mostly for Z06s - which run hotter).

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/

Cheers - Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Hot tunnel area

Old 08-14-2007, 11:20 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Z06 and the tunnel heat is not an issue to me, unless you want to rest your right leg directly against it for long periods of time.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:35 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by waldow
inside my console area temp will run from 104 to 110 on 90+ days when I'm out having fun ( ie- aggressive driving on curvy/mountain roads) . No problem at all - just don't put chocolate in there !!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
Just got back from a 45 minute trip to Irving. I had placed one of my tools in my console while at a meeting. When I got home, I checked the temp of it with an infrared thermometer. It was 120 degrees. (it was 104 on the thermometer on the dash)

That would definately melt chocolate!

I agree. My 2008 gets hot enough that I would not put a cell phone or Ipod in the console (wife did and was not happy). This limits the usefulness of the storage area. Putting an insulated plate in next weekend.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

First we have a thicker tunnel plate that helps reflect some of the heat. Also comes with holes to run the O2 sensor wires above to keep them from the heat (C5 model shown)

The crew at LG Motorsports do outstanding work and I highly recommend them. Besides the other benefits attributed to a thicker, insulated tunnel plate, the new plate also reduces road and exhaust noise in a LS3.

Last edited by WHT; 08-25-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Hot tunnel area