C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Nut Info from Assembly Plant

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
I think there's a little mass hysteria going on here...Afterall, some have been finger tight and no one's had a wheel or axle fall out yet..
You are correct, even it the nut falls off not much would happen except for the possible noise between the spindle and hub splines. If the nut did fall off, it might damage your center cap. The wheel will not fall off.

This is not serious issue, but something that should be looked after.

Save The Wave,
John
Old 09-13-2007, 05:49 PM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rob 99
i tried the 34mm, to big, so it's back to A Zone for a 33mm

Others have reported this was well. The spindle nuts on my car and the new ones I purchased all require a 34 mm socket.

Was your 34 mm socket a 12 point or 6 point socket?

Save The Wave,
John
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone found their nuts loose after tightening them once to spec? My passenger was very loose but has not budged in the past 5 months.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone found their nuts loose after tightening them once to spec? My passenger was very loose but has not budged in the past 5 months.
Yes, I have. I checked both of mine in early June at 2424 miles. Left was tight, right was between 30-50 ft-lb. I torqued right to 120 ft-lb.

I checked them again on 9/11 at 5360 miles. Left still tight, right 90-100 ft-lb. The right was not as loose as the first time, but not where I set it in June. I have a new nut but did not have the Loctite so I just tightened the right back to 120 ft-lb. I also marked the nut and spindle shaft with a dab of nail polish. I was able to obtain some Loctite today but I think I will wait a while. I want to get some miles on it and check the nail polish to verify that the nut is actually turning.

I was unable to find Loctite 272 locally. Most of the hardware and parts stores sell the Permatex brand and all they had was 27100 which is not as strong as Loctite 272. I was at my local GM dealer today having my Radio/NAV replaced (defective touch screen) and I purchased the GM brand. Larger quantity than I needed 10 ml, but it was the proper type.

The GM number in the information I received from the plant was 12345493. This part number has now been superceded by 89021297.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jbeidl
Others have reported this was well. The spindle nuts on my car and the new ones I purchased all require a 34 mm socket.

Was your 34 mm socket a 12 point or 6 point socket?

Save The Wave,
John
It is a 6pt made by Great Neck tools there was play turning both left & right, it has a plastic plug in the wrench end so it can't be used and then returned so i didn't wan't to remove it unless it fit, so im able to return it.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 PM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

It is a 6pt made by Great Neck tools there was play turning both left & right, it has a plastic plug in the wrench end so it can't be used and then returned so i didn't wan't to remove it unless it fit, so im able to return it.
Thanks Rob, I suspected it was 6 point since I have not seen many 12 point sockets this large.

The kit I purchased (K/D) does not even contain a 33, skips from 32 to 34.

Someone (maybe on another forum) posted the tolerance for these large sockets and there was a lot of overlap between a 33 and 34.

Save The Wave,
John
Old 09-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Rob, I suspected it was 6 point since I have not seen many 12 point sockets this large.

The kit I purchased (K/D) does not even contain a 33, skips from 32 to 34.

Someone (maybe on another forum) posted the tolerance for these large sockets and there was a lot of overlap between a 33 and 34.

Save The Wave,
John
Well i hope the 33 fits, did the one you used on yours fit snuggly?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Well i hope the 33 fits, did the one you used on yours fit snuggly?
No, mine was a little sloppy. I was not too concerned since the nut wrench face is big and the socket was 6 point. I measured all of the nuts I have and they are greater than 33.5 mm face to face so a 33 mm socket might not fit. I did not have a 33 mm to try. The 32 mm I have is way too small.

Save The Wave,
John
Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Another socket option you can try (which worked for me) is a Sears Craftsman 1 5/16" . It comes in a 3/4" drive only, so you need a 1/2" drive adapter, but if fits pretty nicely since it's a 12 point socket.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

No, mine was a little sloppy. I was not too concerned since the nut wrench face is big and the socket was 6 point. I measured all of the nuts I have and they are greater than 33.5 mm face to face so a 33 mm socket might not fit. I did not have a 33 mm to try. The 32 mm I have is way too small.

Save The Wave,
John
Well i made the return(got a $1 back too the 33 is cheaper) and just tried it and it fits, but i cant check the TQ because all i have is IN/FT TQ wrench, so it will have to wait till monday when i can borrow by brothers.

Last edited by Rob 99; 09-20-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

I checked the TQ the DS was right on at 118lb/ft but the PS was not reading at 80lb/ft, it took a very small turn to get it to 118, i marked the nut/threads to make checking easier.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given this Service Bulletin... does it mean that from now on on current production the axle nuts are set right, tight, with loctite?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 AM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by adias
Given this Service Bulletin... does it mean that from now on on current production the axle nuts are set right, tight, with loctite?
I would think not. If you read the instructions you will see that it is to be used only

"If there is presence of the nut "indexing and/or looseness"

All vehicles do not have this issue so I "think" the factory and service manual instructions will remain as they are now. I don't know this for a fact, we will have to wait for an official TSB from GM to see how it reads.

Save The Wave,
John
Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I posted this information at the end of an existing thread. It was suggested that I start a new thread so that anyone with the problem can see the corrective action.

I used the Owner Feedback at http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/
to ask about the Axle Nut issue.

I received a reply and asked for permission to post the fix on the forums. The information I received is as follows:

If there is presence of the nut "indexing and/or looseness", do the following:

1. Remove existing nut
2. Apply Goodwrench # 12345493 (also known as Loctite 272) on threads in area where nut finally seats
3. Install new nut (p/n 10257766)
4. Torque nut to 190Nm (140 ft-lb), static
5. Allow 24 hours cure time.

Update 9/13/2007

Part Number 12345493. has been superceded by 89021297.

Note that a NEW nut is required and the torque has been increased from 118 ft-lb to 140 ft-lb.

Save The Wave,
John
There is a new tech document from GM on the axle nut issue.

It contains instructions that are different in important respects from those cited above. Specifically, a different part number for a new axle nut and a different torque value for that nut.

The usual assumption is that the latest dated info is more accurate. But I hate to assume anything on this subject. I'll proceed by attempting to get a copy of the latest document.

Ranger
Old 09-28-2007, 09:07 AM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ranger
There is a new tech document from GM on the axle nut issue.

It contains instructions that are different in important respects from those cited above. Specifically, a different part number for a new axle nut and a different torque value for that nut.

The usual assumption is that the latest dated info is more accurate. But I hate to assume anything on this subject. I'll proceed by attempting to get a copy of the latest document.

Ranger

Ranger, thanks for the updated info.

I received an E-mail from the assembly plant last week telling me a TSB would be released this week with the official information. All of the internal reviews were completed on 9/20/2007.

I wonder if the nut is actually different, or like the Loctite just the GM part number was changed. I have some new nuts of the original part number. I will try to find one of the new nuts so I can see what is different, if anything.

UPDATE 9/28/2007 9:14AM
I just checked the new TSB and the part number for the nut remains the same as the original information I received. Only the torque value has been increased from 140 to 160.

Save The Wave,
John

Last edited by jbeidl; 09-28-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 AM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vet
Thanks!

Yes, very interesting... especially since many of us had speculated that thread locker as well as high torque might not be the best thing for the situation.

Of course, thread locker and high torque would be the most typical cure for any typical situation where a given nut tends to loosen. Hopefully the engineers thought this through for this specific situation and didn't just rattle off the textbook answer for a loose nut.

We learned from the axle chatter issue that responses from GM about curing a problem may or may not be correct... at least not the first time.

I torqued my original nuts to spec (one was loose) and did not use thread locker. My intention was/is to simply check the torque regularly every 5k miles or so (or at every oil change, whatever). I may continue to do this and only take more extensive action if I note one or both nuts starting to loosen again at any point... or until we know for sure that GM's new cure is indeed the most appropriate course of action.

The only bad thing about using thread locker is that once you use it, you can no longer check torque without disturbing the locking bond and/or the bond will not allow you to achieve a true accurate torque reading. Until we know 100% for sure why these nuts lose their torque, I may continue to check torque periodically (which means no thread locker)... because i'm not yet convinced that it's the NUT that's merely backing off, losing torque... the loss of torque may be coming from something wearing, stretching, moving etc with respect to the axle itself... if so, thread locker will not help.

Will give this a little more time to unfold. In the meantime my axle nuts are torqued nice and have been holding torque.
, and I'm doing the same thing.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^

Simple approach: use loctite, retorque the nut, and then use two dabs of paint to index the nut to the axle. From that point on, checking the nut tightness is a visual inspection requiring only popping off the wheel cover.

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Axle Nut Info from Assembly Plant

Old 09-28-2007, 10:52 AM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JFFVETTE
, and I'm doing the same thing.
Check post #64 and you will see might right side was loose again. I did not have the proper Loctite available at the time so I just tightened it back to 120 ft-lb and marked it with nail polish (not mine - I "borrowed" it from my wife). I plan to drive it a few thousand miles and check if the nut actually moves.

Save The Wave,
John
Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

120 ft-lb and marked it with nail polish (not mine - I "borrowed" it from my wife).
A likely story!!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 AM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jesse12804
A likely story!!
I didn't have any good contrasting colors, but my wife did.

Save The Wave,
John

Quick Reply: Axle Nut Info from Assembly Plant