C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Door sills

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default '08 Door sills

I really like the look of the '08 door sills over the plain black vinyl on the '05-07.

They aren't that expensive compared to most appearance mods either. I think Gene sells em for $70.

However, I am curious how they are installed. I am guessing they just stick on, but with the plain black vinyl already there, would I have to remove that first somehow? Doesn't seem like that would come up very easily. And if I just put the '08 sills over it, I don't think they would fit flush or stick as well.

Anyone done this mod yet?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some soapy water, a heat gun (or hair dryer) and a bit of patience and those 05-07 sills will come right up.

Then just clean up the surface and apply the 08 sills.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I did the mod on my 05. I took off the old ones but there were some members who put the new ones right on over the old ones. I heated up the old ones ( corner ) and pulled them up. Used alot of 3M Adhesive Remover as a lot of glue was left on the car. The new ones will stick right on ( after removing the paper ). On my 07 I had the dealer install them. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM
c6chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sills

Originally Posted by jdwk
I really like the look of the '08 door sills over the plain black vinyl on the '05-07.

They aren't that expensive compared to most appearance mods either. I think Gene sells em for $70.

However, I am curious how they are installed. I am guessing they just stick on, but with the plain black vinyl already there, would I have to remove that first somehow? Doesn't seem like that would come up very easily. And if I just put the '08 sills over it, I don't think they would fit flush or stick as well.

Anyone done this mod yet?
better off to remove old ones put masking tape on edges off old ones to get in right spot
Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM
sea-six
Instructor

Default door sills

Their are LEFT and RIGHT sides be sure to look bebore you install. They do come with directions Easy install!!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:31 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I put aluminum sill trim on my '05 - it was a simple job. As others have said, just pull off the existing pieces and remove as much of the original adhesive as you can. It's not necessary to remove every last trace of adhesive, just what you can get using a rag with some Goo Gone. When I installed the new trim pieces, I first just laid them in place in the exact positions as the originals. (Be sure to put the correct panel on the correct side of the car!). I then applied a long piece of masking tape to one long edge, taping the trim piece to the car. The tape served as a "hinge"; after securing the tape I gently raised the trim piece from the non-taped long edge, carefully peeled off the backing, then lowered the piece back into place before removing the masking tape. This procedure ensured that the trim pieces ended up exactly in the correct positions.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Originally Posted by sea-six
Their are LEFT and RIGHT sides be sure to look bebore you install. They do come with directions Easy install!!
There are not left and right sides. I got two different part numbers from Ken's parts guy in Montana. I called him because they were identical. He called GM and they flat didn't know why there were two different part numbers. The idea of using masking tape as a line to install the replacement (as above) is a good idea. I got the second one ever so slightly not centered. Oh well.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

The later '07's have the same door sill as the '08.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
The later '07's have the same door sill as the '08.

My folks 07 has the new sills (build date 5/15/07) .
Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool guys, thanks for the tips. I'll go ahead and order them. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To '08 Door sills

Quick Reply: '08 Door sills