C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my C6 won't hold the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

more or less with vet.

i'm gonna go with, rims, lug nuts, and or alignment.

could be something up with the rims, swap back and see if the problem goes away (without doing anything else).

a couple of lugs might not be torqued down properly but you should get a terrible wobble if that was the case.

are the rears pointing the same direction as the fronts?

yes, a bad sensor will give her fits. you will be lucky if you can turn off ah/tc when that happens. you gotta hold the button before and during start-up otherwise with a bad sensor she skips to cel and won't let you turn off ah.

also, check the steering wheel wiring harness tsb.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

My guess is that the TPMS sensors were mixed up when the tire swap was done. Let some air out of each tire, one at a time, and see if the TPMS shows the pressure change for the correct tire for each one. If they are mixed up you will need to have all four reset. This is a five minute job by most any tire shop that has the TPMS tool.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:27 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Greetings Amanda,

I got your PM. In reading through the description of what you did and what you are experiencing for me the obvious conclusion is in the wheel swap itself. You have been given some good advice in the above posts and some excellent information in the post by Vet.

I would check the obvious first. Check your tires for any contamination. It is not uncommon for tire stores to use a lubricant when installing runflat tires to help the tire on to the seat on the rim. If any of this has gotten on the tread of the tire it could contribute to wheel spin.

Next I'd go after the tire inflation. Check each tire with a good external pressure gauge.

It is possible that one of the sensors was damaged in the install of the new tire and this could contribute to some irratic behavior (possible but not likely).

Next you need to verify that the TPMS are in fact back on the car in the correct location. If you can't verify this you should have them reset.

Check to insure that the rotation direction of the tire was maintained.

If they put your tires back on these new rims it is not likely that a diameter size difference is contributing to the AH message as it would be difficult for your tires to fit on to rims that would contribute to enough difference to trigger a wheel speed variation related to an AH warning.

You could try to unplug and replug the wheel speed sensors on all four corners. The wheel speed sensors are located at the top of and behind the rotor at the location where the A arm connects to the caliper mounting bracket.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talons right you are getting some pretty good advise.

Keep in mind you have to have driven the car over 20 mph within one hour or your TPMS will be asleep. So you if let air out of the tire to test the TPMS make sure it has been driven within the last hour.

I commented on your post in the other section. After you do the obvious tire/wheel things like:
1. Are the tires all the same make/style/size?
2. Are they mounted "this side out"?
3. Are the wheels the OEM wheels for your vehicle?
4. Is the tire pressure the same in all tires according to the door sticker when filled cold?
5. Are you TPMS "learned" to the vehicle and functioning correctly?
6. Is your active handling and traction control operating correctly?
7. Are the tires so old and beat that they are structurally "shot" (cords, belts, etc).

After that you might have to look at the suspension. The Vettes are very sensative about how they are jacked up and must be supported at the correct points. Make sure no damage was done when lifting and look at your suspension. Shocks, sway bars, etc.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:12 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jogar80
yea check your pressure. Over-inflated tires slip like crazy
was my first thought also.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It would doubt the problem is caused by running a slightly different tire size. FWIW the following link is to a 'tire size calculator' that will show you the approximate speedometer variation caused by using different size tires.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Amanda*Rae
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

ok, so i went right home yesterday evening and proceeded to check my tire pressure with the DIC, all 4 corners were registering between 30-32 except for left rear which was reading 41. So obviously I assumed that the Goodyear put too much air in it.
Just wanting to check my TPMS I go grab a tire gauge check L Rear tire, I couldn’t find my digital gauge so I settle for the one I could find, no reading, I dig in the garage a bit more and find another gauge...no reading.
ok so now I’m getting worried, I start digging in my tool bag in the jeep to find my digital gauge that I KNOW works and finally find it.
Check my L rear tire and no reading WTF? All 3 could not be malfunctioning. So I check my other tires, and like the DIC said 30-32 on them all.
Why would this tire have so much pressure in it and have no reading manually? I let a little air out (and I mean a LITTLE) and check again still nothing…At this point I was afraid to let out much more (I do not have an air hose at my house u know in case I went too far) So I drive to the local BP station. ((car handling worse than ever btw))
So I come to the conclusion on my short trip that the tire doesn’t have enough air in it to register a reading and the TPMS is malfunctioning. So I add some air and sure enough I start to get a reading….first check after adding some air was 8lbs. or 18 I wasn’t sure but it was LOW, and when I got up to 30 my DIC was reading correctly too.
I adjusted all 4 corners to 30 and went for a short spirited drive about .5 mile up the curvy road and handles like a C6 should, but by the time I get back to BP Left Rear was reading 27 on the DIC…so apparently it is not sealed correctly like the other rear was and im gonna have to take back to Goodyear to take off and put back on after cleaning around the rim.
Shouldn’t they have rubbed all of the chrome corrosion off the tire b4 installing onto my new rims anyway?…kinda seems obvious to me.

So my car has been handling poorly since last Tuesday the 2nd!! When I first left Goodyear. And then Saturday morning when I brought it back because the DIC said R Rear tire Low, they only re-set the right side tire because it was the only one that appeared to have a problem.
Even Chevrolet Garage didn’t notice the tire being so low…
Monday I took the Vette to Chevrolet garage to have rotors turned and the service active handling light taken care of (code c0710) I didn’t mention this earlier bc this light has been coming on since I got the car and thought was unrelated because back then the car handled great. But when I was at the Chevy garage I mentioned the poor handling all the time and their service guy said it would handle better now because that light isn’t coming on anymore and their tech drove it and never could get it to slip like I was mentioning. (obviously a lie) He may have driven it from the parking lot to the Garage bay but that had to be all if he didn’t notice how bad it drove. Anyway what I’m getting at here is they took all 4 corners off to turn rotors and never even noticed the tire was low either. Dang these runflats are tricky lil tires. Lol
I haven’t drove her much since the new tires but what little I did drive can’t be good for those tires even tho they are runflats.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good that you found out what was wrong. I think you need to have a serious conversation with Goodyear dealer. Not a shouting match but tell him, look, by letting this tire stay low, altho not a lot of miles driven on it that way, it has reduced the life of the tire.

That said, tell him you want him to do the right thing, take off all 4 tires, clean the rims, the tires' edges, make sure the TPMS are affixed correctly and then re mounted. Then he should check the DIC. All this at his expense, time and trouble. Because you've already been back there, what? this will be your third time?

Altho not required, it would be good to have an el cheapo tire inflator in your garage.

Also, it's not just the runflats that you just can't always tell how much air they have in them. This has been going on since the first radial tires came out. Really.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Amanda*Rae
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by AORoads
Good that you found out what was wrong. I think you need to have a serious conversation with Goodyear dealer. Not a shouting match but tell him, look, by letting this tire stay low, altho not a lot of miles driven on it that way, it has reduced the life of the tire.
Yeah really, good thing she isnt a DD, i would have to say that just my trips to town and home again twice going only to Goodyear and Chevy Garage was about 65-70 miles. Good thing my softball game got rained out last Tuesday or that would have been another 30 mile round trip on a low tire.
Almost forgot about leisure trip in the vette last sunday that cost me around 60 miles.
I would say around about 130 miles on her with the tire low and me scratching my head the whole time wondering WTF

Last edited by Amanda*Rae; 06-12-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Amanda*Rae
ok, so i went right home yesterday evening and proceeded to check my tire pressure with the DIC, all 4 corners were registering between 30-32 except for left rear which was reading 41. So obviously I assumed that the Goodyear put too much air in it.
Just wanting to check my TPMS I go grab a tire gauge check L Rear tire, I couldn’t find my digital gauge so I settle for the one I could find, no reading, I dig in the garage a bit more and find another gauge...no reading.
ok so now I’m getting worried, I start digging in my tool bag in the jeep to find my digital gauge that I KNOW works and finally find it.
Check my L rear tire and no reading WTF? All 3 could not be malfunctioning. So I check my other tires, and like the DIC said 30-32 on them all.
Why would this tire have so much pressure in it and have no reading manually? I let a little air out (and I mean a LITTLE) and check again still nothing…At this point I was afraid to let out much more (I do not have an air hose at my house u know in case I went too far) So I drive to the local BP station. ((car handling worse than ever btw))
So I come to the conclusion on my short trip that the tire doesn’t have enough air in it to register a reading and the TPMS is malfunctioning. So I add some air and sure enough I start to get a reading….first check after adding some air was 8lbs. or 18 I wasn’t sure but it was LOW, and when I got up to 30 my DIC was reading correctly too.
I adjusted all 4 corners to 30 and went for a short spirited drive about .5 mile up the curvy road and handles like a C6 should, but by the time I get back to BP Left Rear was reading 27 on the DIC…so apparently it is not sealed correctly like the other rear was and im gonna have to take back to Goodyear to take off and put back on after cleaning around the rim.
Shouldn’t they have rubbed all of the chrome corrosion off the tire b4 installing onto my new rims anyway?…kinda seems obvious to me.

So my car has been handling poorly since last Tuesday the 2nd!! When I first left Goodyear. And then Saturday morning when I brought it back because the DIC said R Rear tire Low, they only re-set the right side tire because it was the only one that appeared to have a problem.
Even Chevrolet Garage didn’t notice the tire being so low…
Monday I took the Vette to Chevrolet garage to have rotors turned and the service active handling light taken care of (code c0710) I didn’t mention this earlier bc this light has been coming on since I got the car and thought was unrelated because back then the car handled great. But when I was at the Chevy garage I mentioned the poor handling all the time and their service guy said it would handle better now because that light isn’t coming on anymore and their tech drove it and never could get it to slip like I was mentioning. (obviously a lie) He may have driven it from the parking lot to the Garage bay but that had to be all if he didn’t notice how bad it drove. Anyway what I’m getting at here is they took all 4 corners off to turn rotors and never even noticed the tire was low either. Dang these runflats are tricky lil tires. Lol
I haven’t drove her much since the new tires but what little I did drive can’t be good for those tires even tho they are runflats.
I've seen TPMS read the last "known" pressure of the tire. In other words, if the sensor is not currently picking up a reading, it could still be reading what the pressure was before the tire was changed. I had that happen once - it took a couple of days before I got an error reading. I'll bet that is what is happening.

Your tire may not have seated correctly, or something happened with the valve stem that it has indeed lost all of it's air. That is what I am thinking has happened - you really do have a tire with no air in it, and at some point the sensor will realize it.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to beat this thread to death but when you are at Goodyear you should have them do a relearn of all the sensors to be sure the car knows which sensor is in which wheel. If the wheels were put on in different locations the pressure ishown in the DIC will be all mixed up. i.e. "sez RF is low but really LF is low". You know what I mean.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Amanda*Rae
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
Don't want to beat this thread to death but when you are at Goodyear you should have them do a relearn of all the sensors to be sure the car knows which sensor is in which wheel. If the wheels were put on in different locations the pressure ishown in the DIC will be all mixed up. i.e. "sez RF is low but really LF is low". You know what I mean.
Goodyear told me that they took one wheel off at a time to avoid having to do this.

i will be taking it back up there this weekend to have them remount the tires.

Thanks Guys
Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Plz do a followup here so we know everything's ok!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Amanda*Rae
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by AORoads
Plz do a followup here so we know everything's ok!
I got off work early yesterday and took her into Goodyear to have the back left tire looked at. I told them that I adjusted the air in all 4 corners yesterday evening to 30psi and they might want to also check the rest for any leaks while its in there. They fixed the problem and insisted that driving the tire low for as much as I did will not hurt the runflat. Oh well what can I say..

So I’m happy once again she corners like she is on rails like she is supposed to!!! Yea!

Quick Reply: my C6 won't hold the road