C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by bterwilliger
So what about the noise when the top is off and stowed? Mine rattles and squeaks like CRAZY. Everyone that has ridden with the targa off and stowed has commented on that. Does everyone have this issue? How can I fix it?
There is a TSB for this out with dealers also. The procedure is the equivelant of putting a piece of velcro tape ( the soft side) on the surface of the plastic part that sits on the wheel well. It seems to work from what I've seen as well.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
pcruzo2002
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just lubed up the rubber gaskets with a light weight oil and the "popping" sound I was experiencing was immediately gone.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM
24HRC5
Instructor

Default Squeaks

I just brought my 2007 coupe back for replacment of the roof panel latches. The car squeaked like crazy on the drivers side. If I put my hand and pushed the weatherstrip it would stop.

Well picked the car up and drove - quiet - astounded - until I got farther down the road. Now everything is just like it use to be.

I'm bummed. NEver had this on my 99 or 04
Old 01-15-2009, 05:43 PM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 24HRC5
I just brought my 2007 coupe back for replacment of the roof panel latches. The car squeaked like crazy on the drivers side. If I put my hand and pushed the weatherstrip it would stop.

Well picked the car up and drove - quiet - astounded - until I got farther down the road. Now everything is just like it use to be.

Did you verify that the handles were actually replaced? (not that any GM service dept would actually shortchange a customer)
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by 24HRC5

Did they lube the weatherstrip? Did they lube the latch receiver?

Last edited by talon90; 01-15-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:00 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zare191
Did you verify that the handles were actually replaced? (not that any GM service dept would actually shortchange a customer)
Also take the slack out and PUT tension on the "J" hook to the top bow, this helps keep the top from shifting slightly sideways when driving. This is probably one of the most overlooked adjustment on the top.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Also take the slack out and PUT tension on the "J" hook to the top bow, this helps keep the top from shifting slightly sideways when driving. This is probably one of the most overlooked adjustment on the top.
Also, wrap a strip of self-adhering fuzzy velcro around the rod the J-hook latches on, to eliminate any noise there.....
Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Within two weeks of purchasing my 2008, I experience the same "squeak" on the passenger side. I called my service advisor at Maroone Chevrolet here in Pembroke Pines, and he knew exactly what the problem was. He ordered the parts (new latches), and after they were installed the problem seemed to be gone.

However, about a month later a small squeak started around the rear latch. I toke the roof panel off, cleaned the rubber all the way around, and lubed the rear latch with a silicone based lube. That solved the problem.

I agree with the earlier posts, in that the panel should be removed on occasion, the rubber gaskets cleaned & a silicone treatment applied. Here in South Florida the heat does a pretty good job of "drying & ageing" everything on a car.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great post. Pretty much has all the things I've read about over the last year. I have an 09 purchased in June of 08. The top pops like crazy, still sounds better than my 69. I've talked to the factory and will take it in this spring after the roads clear up for their try at a fix. Doesn't matter I enjoy the car to the max. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet Thunderbolt
Thanks for the great post. Pretty much has all the things I've read about over the last year. I have an 09 purchased in June of 08. The top pops like crazy, still sounds better than my 69. I've talked to the factory and will take it in this spring after the roads clear up for their try at a fix. Doesn't matter I enjoy the car to the max. Thanks again.
I spent three (3) days at the factory in Bowling Green and unfortunately they were unable to find my source of snaps, popping, etc. which ended up being the top later. "C"clips solved the problem and then I got the top latches changed out on my two tops. Be sure to take ALL the slack out of the "J" hook on the top bow and put a little tension on it, keeps the top from slightly pivoting from side to side. Also use alot of SPRAY silicon because it can really get into the cracks, might have to do this several times. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by bterwilliger
So what about the noise when the top is off and stowed? Mine rattles and squeaks like CRAZY. Everyone that has ridden with the targa off and stowed has commented on that. Does everyone have this issue? How can I fix it?
I have an '06 and have never experienced that problem. I'm guessing it may be because I have one of the Exotic Vette partitions. The front of the top sits just on the top of the partition when stowed and may help prevent it from moving around if it's a bit loose.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 PM
mrando
Advanced

Originally Posted by ClovisFox
Great post Paul.

I replaced the old style roof latches with the new style latches (and lubricated the slide bar) on my 08 glass top several weeks ago. The roof rattle was gone instantly...and 1,500 miles later things are still nice and quite up top.

Gene...
Just did the same today, and it's a world of difference. Good write-up, keep up the good work.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
ED HEISER
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Dielectric tune up grease

I had a loud popping on my 2005 coupe on the drivers side on uneven surfaces. I removed the top and lubbed all the contact surfaces with a thin coat of tune up grease (silicone based), and the noise was gone.
I used the same product on my 88 coupe with excellent results.
It just needs to be reapplied every so often, especially if it gets dusty.
I think it lasts longer than a spray.
I usually leave the top off all Spring and Summer, but I watch where I park (not under trees),and keep it in the garage or covered parking.
I just love this car topless. I had them remove the top before I drove it the first time. So having the top on AND making noise made me cringe.
I'm glad this fix worked.
UPDATE!
Well, the noise came back, so I added an o-ring to the drivers side post, and it seems to have done the trick...we'll see.

Last edited by ED HEISER; 02-05-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
pmcgrew
Intermediate

Default 2006 C6 roof "creak" noise

My 2006 has had an annoying "creak" that is in my clear roof and seems to be right behind / above the driver. I have had it into the dealer 3 times and they have "tightened" the exhaust system (???) I have siliconed all the gaskets and it is still there. Of course, when I take the roof off there is no "creak". I am counting the days to Spring but since my 36 mo warrenty is going to expire this year, I really want to get this noise taken care of.... I never had it in my 03 C5. The roof seems to be tight..I am reluctant to take it back to the GM dealer just ot have them tighten the exhaust!

Does anyone know if the TSB mentioned in this thread would resolve this creaking noise?

Thx..
Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM
ED HEISER
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcgrew
My 2006 has had an annoying "creak" that is in my clear roof and seems to be right behind / above the driver. I have had it into the dealer 3 times and they have "tightened" the exhaust system (???) I have siliconed all the gaskets and it is still there. Of course, when I take the roof off there is no "creak". I am counting the days to Spring but since my 36 mo warrenty is going to expire this year, I really want to get this noise taken care of.... I never had it in my 03 C5. The roof seems to be tight..I am reluctant to take it back to the GM dealer just ot have them tighten the exhaust!

Does anyone know if the TSB mentioned in this thread would resolve this creaking noise?

Thx..
"Tighten the exhaust?" Sounds like BS to me.
If your rear latch is loose, real easy to operate, you could try turning the "J" hook one turn shorter. There is a small allen head bolt that must be backed out almost all the way before it will clear the flat spot on the shaft. I mention this because the noise seems to be behind you, and you can reverse it real easily if it gets worse rather than better.
Or you can get some different sized o rings at your hardware store in the plumbing department, 7/16 inch inside hole, and try them on different posts, rear and front to tighten up the top. Also cheap and reverseable.
It will take less time to try all this than taking your car to the dealer again and waiting all day for it. Worked for me.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I put the clear roof back on my car about 1 month ago. Initially it started to creak but has disappeared (knocking on wood). I'm guessing the roof is not moving around now and the roof is probably good.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
HOTRODSRJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has been a great help to me!!! I have an 08 couple and it was cracking and popping to beat the band! I do have the new latches ...so I simply lubed the points highlighted here.. and voila! no more noises!

Thanks to all!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Old 02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by HOTRODSRJ
This thread has been a great help to me!!! I have an 08 couple and it was cracking and popping to beat the band! I do have the new latches ...so I simply lubed the points highlighted here.. and voila! no more noises!

Thanks to all!
Great to hear!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 PM
pmcgrew
Intermediate

Default Roof Creak..

Well, I posted my symptoms to the link to the Corevette site... I was surprised that someone from GM wrote me back and suggested that I have the dealer replace the handles per TSB #08-08-67-013A. I am going to print off the note and bring it with me when I take it in for my Spring oil change. I'll be sure to tell them not to touch the exhaust!

thx...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by pmcgrew
Well, I posted my symptoms to the link to the Corevette site... I was surprised that someone from GM wrote me back and suggested that I have the dealer replace the handles per TSB #08-08-67-013A. I am going to print off the note and bring it with me when I take it in for my Spring oil change. I'll be sure to tell them not to touch the exhaust!

thx...
I'm not surprised at all.

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post