C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 AM
TMooreVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 roof panel fix

Took my 2006 Coupe to the dealership last week. They replaced the targa top latches with the new 2008 replacements under warranty. It fixed the problem no more squeeks or rattles. Awesome!!! Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 123 Posts

Friends:

Yesterday, the dealer purportedly replaced the roof latches on my 2008 (January 2008 production) pursuant to Bulletin # 08.08.67.013A. Although the service invoice says that they installed parts 19206591 and 19206592, I do not think that they did. The latches now on the car have rollers that spin (and look a lot like the photo of the "old" roller-type in post #1.) From the description in post #1, the new latches should have a plastic roller that is "immobilized with a wedge shape." The picture in post #1 of the new version does not help me clearly identify whether I still have the old type or the new type.

Could someone try an alternate description of the new latches? Or, better yet, post up a few pictures.

I am pretty sure that the dealer put just put some grease on the old roller-type latches. (And, scratched the roof in the process.) But, I would like to be sure before I start jumping up and down about it.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

If your 'NEW' rollers spin, you got nothing for your time. BG sent new latches to my house, and there are no moving rollers.

Originally Posted by GSXR K6 1K
Friends:

Yesterday, the dealer purportedly replaced the roof latches on my 2008 (January 2008 production) pursuant to Bulletin # 08.08.67.013A. Although the service invoice says that they installed parts 19206591 and 19206592, I do not think that they did. The latches now on the car have rollers that spin (and look a lot like the photo of the "old" roller-type in post #1.) From the description in post #1, the new latches should have a plastic roller that is "immobilized with a wedge shape." The picture in post #1 of the new version does not help me clearly identify whether I still have the old type or the new type.

Could someone try an alternate description of the new latches? Or, better yet, post up a few pictures.

I am pretty sure that the dealer put just put some grease on the old roller-type latches. (And, scratched the roof in the process.) But, I would like to be sure before I start jumping up and down about it.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 123 Posts

UPDATE:

I went to the dealership and discussed the situation with the service manager and the general manager. They pulled the parts removed yesterday from their outbound (to GM) freight. They had replaced the latches. But, GM sent them the old versions, which they installed. The boxes from GM had the right part numbers (for the redesigned latches) but contained the old latches. Now I they are reordering the part and specifying the redesigned latch. PITA

So, my advice is that if you are going to request the Service Bulletin, be sure that your parts and service department understands that you want the redesigned part and, maybe even take the pictures in post #1 with you.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I got the "new latches 2 weeks ago, for two days no noise after that IT IS WORSE THAN BEFORE< going to try lubing everything myself
Old 03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
I got the "new latches 2 weeks ago, for two days no noise after that IT IS WORSE THAN BEFORE< going to try lubing everything myself
I would question as to whether or not your dealer lubricated the metal receiver plate on the top of the windshield (as they should have in the TSB). There should be some residue of the Superlube silicone lubricant on the metal part in the indentation where the latch roller comes to rest.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
I would question as to whether or not your dealer lubricated the metal receiver plate on the top of the windshield (as they should have in the TSB). There should be some residue of the Superlube silicone lubricant on the metal part in the indentation where the latch roller comes to rest.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 AM
08Z51mike
Intermediate

My top makes that dreaded noise.. im going to try the silicone based lubrication, but what should i do when i take the top off and put it in the attatchments in the trunk, i get an annoying noise similar to when its above me when im drivin'. Can i just lubricate the connectors in the back the same way? thanks..

mike
Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by 08Z51mike
My top makes that dreaded noise.. im going to try the silicone based lubrication, but what should i do when i take the top off and put it in the attatchments in the trunk, i get an annoying noise similar to when its above me when im drivin'. Can i just lubricate the connectors in the back the same way? thanks..

mike
There is also a TSB for top noise when it is in the storage space in the back. It is basically the equivalent of putting a strip of Velcro tape on the plastic storage cleats in the back. Using the loop side (soft side) of a piece of Velcro just put it on the top surface that the roof panel slides on to and it will add a little thickness to the storage cleat and hold the top more firmly in place against the hold down.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:37 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I tried the metal e-clips, but they fell off after a while and the creeking returned, car built in 10/08. Where is he cheapest place to order the new replacement latches without taking it to the dealer? Are any forum vendors stocking these latches?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by adconti
I tried the metal e-clips, but they fell off after a while and the creeking returned, car built in 10/08. Where is he cheapest place to order the new replacement latches without taking it to the dealer? Are any forum vendors stocking these latches?
Any GM dealer can get the handles for you. GMpartshouse.com is generally my choice but there are others out there. I'm afraid that you might need to send out a few requests for quote to get your best price. Make sure you get a cost shipped as some of the other online sources will get you a good price on the handles only to make it up with shipping charges. The handles aren't cheap by any means. The part numbers you need are in my second post at the start of this thread.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Paul, I'll shop around and see what I come up with.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Here's the TSB on the new roof latches and lube...

First of all, THANKS to Talon90 for all of his continuing work on this issue!

Here's the TSB to make it easier for folks:

TSB for Roof Handle Replacement & Lubrication:
Roof panel noises/C6 08.08.67.013A

Subject: Snap, Pop or Rattle Noise From Lift Off Roof Panel While Driving (Replace Front Lift Off Roof Panel Handles and Lube)

Models: 2005-2009 Chevrolet Corvette

with Removable Clear Roof Panel (RPO CC3), Removable Sun Roof Panel (RPO CF7) or Dual Removable Roof Panels (RPO C2L)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a snap, pop or rattle noise coming from the lift off roof panel while driving.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the nylon roller inside the left and/or right front roof panel latching handle becoming loose and causing the roller to move on the pin, creating the noise.

Correction
Replace the left and right front lift off roof panel handles (1) and lube. Refer to Roof Lift Off Panel Front Latch Handle Replacement in SI. The updated handles have a new design ramp insert in place of the nylon roller.

Technicians are to apply GM Super Lube® with PTFE, P/N 12371287 (in Canada, P/N 10953437) to both sides (left and right) at the following areas:

Apply GM Super Lube® around the entire guide pin ball (1) on the roof panel.

Apply GM Super Lube® inside the "pocket" of the stainless steel track (1).

Handle, Roof Lift Off Panel - Left

Handle, Roof Lift Off Panel - Right

12371287 (US)
GM Vehicle Care Super Lube® with PTFE

There you go!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Blue Demon Owner
First of all, THANKS to Talon90 for all of his continuing work on this issue!

Here's the TSB to make it easier for folks:

TSB for Roof Handle Replacement & Lubrication:
Roof panel noises/C6 08.08.67.013A

Subject: Snap, Pop or Rattle Noise From Lift Off Roof Panel While Driving (Replace Front Lift Off Roof Panel Handles and Lube)

Models: 2005-2009 Chevrolet Corvette

with Removable Clear Roof Panel (RPO CC3), Removable Sun Roof Panel (RPO CF7) or Dual Removable Roof Panels (RPO C2L)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a snap, pop or rattle noise coming from the lift off roof panel while driving.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the nylon roller inside the left and/or right front roof panel latching handle becoming loose and causing the roller to move on the pin, creating the noise.

Correction
Replace the left and right front lift off roof panel handles (1) and lube. Refer to Roof Lift Off Panel Front Latch Handle Replacement in SI. The updated handles have a new design ramp insert in place of the nylon roller.

Technicians are to apply GM Super Lube® with PTFE, P/N 12371287 (in Canada, P/N 10953437) to both sides (left and right) at the following areas:

Apply GM Super Lube® around the entire guide pin ball (1) on the roof panel.

Apply GM Super Lube® inside the "pocket" of the stainless steel track (1).

Handle, Roof Lift Off Panel - Left

Handle, Roof Lift Off Panel - Right

12371287 (US)
GM Vehicle Care Super Lube® with PTFE

There you go!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought a new 2009 4LT and the roof cracks and creaks like crazy. The selling dealer is 6 hours away.

My 2006 3LT roof was almost perfect.

I assume the 09 has all the new parts. I tightened the J hook one turn at a time (2x's). No help. It almost sounds metal to metal.

Would new new car need lube already? I would like to avoid the local dealer.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:01 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Monts
Just bought a new 2009 4LT and the roof cracks and creaks like crazy. The selling dealer is 6 hours away.

My 2006 3LT roof was almost perfect.

I assume the 09 has all the new parts. I tightened the J hook one turn at a time (2x's). No help. It almost sounds metal to metal.

Would new new car need lube already? I would like to avoid the local dealer.
If your car is a 2009 it should have the new design latch handles, you can see them in my second post in this thread. You do likely need a little silicone lube in the receiver for the latch handle. Just put a small amount in the depression as illustrated in my second post.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Monts
Pro

Originally Posted by talon90
If your car is a 2009 it should have the new design latch handles, you can see them in my second post in this thread. You do likely need a little silicone lube in the receiver for the latch handle. Just put a small amount in the depression as illustrated in my second post.
I keep tightening the J hook (I think 4 turns now and getting less noise (it was quite loose from the factory). The front half of the top seams ok as far as noise. I think most of the noise is coming from the back of the roof.

I guess it can't hurt lubing the front latch areas. Any thing to lube in the back?

Thank you for all your input and detailed posts T90!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Monts
I keep tightening the J hook (I think 4 turns now and getting less noise (it was quite loose from the factory). The front half of the top seams ok as far as noise. I think most of the noise is coming from the back of the roof.

I guess it can't hurt lubing the front latch areas. Any thing to lube in the back?

Thank you for all your input and detailed posts T90!
The J-hook could help. It really is intended to be a safety latch and isn't supposed to be a primary hold down for the roof. You don't want it so tight that the act of opening the rear latch handle is difficult so keep your eye on that. Also, you may find that you need to loosen it up later as the weather warms and the panel and gaskets expand a little.

You can try a little bit of lube on the pins that enter the B pillar and of course it will never hurt to put a little lube on the rear gasket along the top front of the B pillar. I have a few pictures of those areas in my second post in this thread as well.

Paul
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Monts
Pro

Well, I can finally relax.

I should have just lubricated as suggested and tightened the J screw a few tuns. I assumed that since it's a brand new car and always stored inside at the dealership, lubrication would be unnecessary. It sounded so bad I was embarrassed to take people out in it. Not anymore!!! Thanks again.

Rick
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lubing is good. When mine starts acting up, and I'm on the road, just undoing the latches and latching them back does wonders.

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post