C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 AM
SlideRulz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Gas

Thursday night on our way home from dinner I stopped and filled up with gas. I always use 93 octane gas and have been buying at this station for over 5 years. On Friday morning when I started my vette it was coughing and sputtering somthing fierce. I drove to work anyway and took it to the dealership at 8:00 am. About a hour later the service tech called me and told me that the gas was contaminated.
Well after draining the tanks, cleaning the fuel lines, injectors, throttle body and replacing the o2 sensors.
I contacted the company and they sent me the "Customer Fuel Concern" forms. Hopefully I will get rembursed for this mess. I did save a sample of the bad gas just in case they need it.

Last edited by SlideRulz; 02-09-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:48 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Thats expensive... I hope you get reimbursed for that!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

keep us posted, please
Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 AM
jdavis
Drifting

Sorry to hear of this and hope that Velero does the right thing by you. If this fuel was contaminated, I don't think that "top tier" detergents would have prevented the problem. Very likely you got some old fuel that had lost it's octane level.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jdavis
Sorry to hear of this and hope that Velero does the right thing by you...

Sorry to hear of your trouble and expense of getting the bad gas...

Does it seem that incidents of pumping bad gas has increased in the last couple of months? A friend of mine had some bad gas in his C6 about a month ago. I haven't heard of getting bad gas in many years, but now looks like it is becoming common since this isn't the first thread on bad gas.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 AM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

More than likley the gas stations are letting their tank levels get really low before they order more gas at a cheaper price, especially with the fuel prices falling almost daily, they dont want to have to replace it any sooner than they have to. You probably were sucking out the bottom of the tank for them and all the contaniments that have settled for several years.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMvette
More than likley the gas stations are letting their tank levels get really low before they order more gas at a cheaper price, especially with the fuel prices falling almost daily, they dont want to have to replace it any sooner than they have to. You probably were sucking out the bottom of the tank for them and all the contaniments that have settled for several years.
I thought the new tank designs and filters had eliminated the problem of getting the sediments from a low tank pumped into your car?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Good luck, be interested in how it goes, keep us posted.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Based on theory's in this thread. 100's of cars including your own would be affected by "Bad Gas" right? I mean surely you don't belive it was just you?

File a complaint with your state regulator. This info is usually posted on the gas pump. If other consumers complain it will validate there investigation against Valero.

Valero is a major energy company and does not wait until the tanks are low for cost reasons.

Also modern pumping design almost eliminates the chance of "bad gas"

One instance is if your state has Ethanol. Ethanol as we know absorbs water which can contaminate gas.

However if 100's of cars were not affected then the Bad Gas theory is BS from your mechanic.

In addition contributing facts the state will want to know are year and mileage of your vette. Your car is an 05 model and mileage is unknown.

Last edited by Daytona Bob; 11-22-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 AM
DSOMvette
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
I thought the new tank designs and filters had eliminated the problem of getting the sediments from a low tank pumped into your car?
it has certainly helped but not completely eliminated the problem, it can still happen depending on the maintanence of the new tanks and filters, all gas stations may not have the newer tanks in place or the system screwed up that is to prevent this from happening. You are correct that the new designs are "supposed" to keep this from happening. I would be real curious to know what exactly was found in the fuel system when it was cleaned and drained at the dealership, then this would tell a lot as to what may have happened. Bad gas from the supplier or contanimation in the stations tanks.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
NewC6guy
Instructor

My friend has a gas station and he told me there is 300 gallons that he can't even get to in the bottom of his tanks. He said it was setup that way to prevent sucking up water because almost all tanks have water in the botton of them. When he had his tanks cleaned there was 6 55 gallon barrels of water in his two (REG/SUPER) tanks.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 AM
DSOMvette
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NewC6guy
My friend has a gas station and he told me there is 300 gallons that he can't even get to in the bottom of his tanks. He said it was setup that way to prevent sucking up water because almost all tanks have water in the botton of them. When he had his tanks cleaned there was 6 55 gallon barrels of water in his two (REG/SUPER) tanks.
So does this mean that he had 30 gallon of water in the bottom that could get sucked up. point is if he has more than 300 gal of water it can get sucked up in the delivery.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:43 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMvette
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by NewC6guy
However if your friend had Ethanol in the gas he wouldnt have water in the tank.

Here is a Diagram of a common tank. #5 show's the pump piping does not go to the bottom of the tank. Typical application is 2-3 inches off the bottom - about 400 gallons remain when the station is "out"

What the Diagram does not show are the .10 Micron filtration units on the pump itself, in addition it does not show the Electronic monitoring system data which covers water and other vital stats such as ground intrusion.

A. Tank Bottom Deflector Plates
B. Primary Tank Fittings

1. Turbine Enclosure
2. Fitting Kits for Turbine Enclosure
3. Secondary Containment Collar
4. Electronic Inventory Gauge
5. Containment Collar Sensor
6. Electronic Control Panel
7. Split-Strap Anchor System
8. Deadman Anchor
9. Dispenser
10. Dispenser Sump
11. Double-Wall Pipe
12. Submersible Pump
13. Fill Tube with Overfill Shut-Off Device
14. Ball Float Valve
15. Overfill Spill Container
16. Primary Tank Vent

Last edited by Daytona Bob; 11-22-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with Daytona Bob that if the gas were truly contaminated there must be many other cars similarly afflicted. The gas station might not be forthcoming to admit there was a problem but hopefully there's a way to document the problem was widespread (perhaps via complaints to State regulatory agencies). I imagine the dealership determined the gas was contaminated by a visual inspection...hopefully they saved enough to send half of the sample off to a labratory for testing.

I'd be curious if the problem resulted from particulate matter or from water condensing in the gas station holding tanks. I hope your car runs better and that you can get reimbursed for the repair bill. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

My first thought when reading the OP's post was is this a case of "bad gas", or a desperate dealer? I'm not sure I even know what "bad gas" means. Was it visually contaminated with particulate? That sounds pretty extreme, but I have learned in my lifetime to never say never. If that is the case, it should be pretty easy to prove it to someone. I have a feeling that someone is going to end up being the station owner. I wonder if they insure against things like this happening. If not, you will probably have a hard time getting your money back. As already stated, there should be many more cars out there that will be looking for the same remedy as you.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Gas

Old 11-22-2008, 10:04 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

That theory works as long as the tank does not have a leak and has been infiltrated with ground water.
The piping ensure that water from condensation does not get sucked up but a leak in an area with a high water table can fill the whole tank with water....How?
Let's say the water table is 1 foot below the surface. The tank starts full of gas. The first car pumps 20 gallons, as it flows out, 20 gallons of water flows in to replace it via the site of the leak.... The process continues and each time the gas/water mixture is pumped out, more water enters to contaminate the fuel even more...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SlideRulz
Well after draining the tanks, cleaning the fuel lines, injectors, throttle body and replacing the o2 sensors it cost $1057.
I'm curious. Was all of that really necessary; or was that overreacting? Can someone mechanically astute pipe in?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:45 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vettes
I'm curious. Was all of that really necessary; or was that overreacting? Can someone mechanically astute pipe in?
No fuel ever comes in contact with the throttle body. So at least that part of the story is dubious.

Quick Reply: Bad Gas