C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell brand gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only use (Amoco) 93 which is BP now.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLB768
I understand that all gas comes from the same supplier, but I also understand that each brand(Shell, Sunoco etc) puts their own additives into the fuel. I simply go with the highest octane that is posted on the pump. Right, or wrong, that's what I do for my own piece of mind.
I have to disagree. If you buy Citgo, you're supporting Hugo CHAVEZ or what ever that SOB's name is in Venezuela.
(In case you didnt know, he hates the U.S. supports Iran and terrorism).
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by vetsvett
I have to disagree. If you buy Citgo, you're supporting Hugo CHAVEZ or what ever that SOB's name is in Venezuela.
(In case you didnt know, he hates the U.S. supports Iran and terrorism).

But I think the same is true of most oil producing nations.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
I really can't believe how many people have brought up the "top tier" term on this thread. It has been PROVEN time and time again on this forum that "top tier" is nothing more than a marketing GIMMICK, and has no bearing on the quality of the gas you get at any given gas station.
Not a gimmick......I witnessed no less than 20 different engines (top-end, both GM and competitive) disassembled, to survey the validity of top tier and standard additive base fuels. Engines were disassembled at 10,000, 30,000, 50,000 and 100,000 miles. Differences were very noticeable between "standard" fuels and top-tier. This was conducted at the GM Desert Proving Ground and results were suppied to GM Fuel Labs, Tech Center, upon completion, ....I was responsible for the procurement portion of that project.

But, you can believe whatever you wish. It appears your mind is already made up by the "harsh" attitude reflected in your statements.

I have researched you statement regarding ".....proven time and again...." and found no proof. Found a lot of statements ....but no proof. Might have missed something, however. So, by your scale of validity, I guess I just supplied PROOF to the contrary.

Also, your statement regarding the mailing address for the Top Tier Association. It would not have been the same address as Quik Trip Fuel Service by chance???

Anyway, this thread has jumped way off base. My sincere apologies to the OP.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I've used Top Tier, and not. I used to be strictly Chevron, but then I started getting elevated fuel in my EOAs and the guy who does my analysis suggested that Techron was to blame. Switched to Shell and the situation improved. I'm making no blanket statement about either fuel, just sharing my experience.

For those who care about the politics of where your oil comes from, see the links at this page from the US Gov't:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...ports/cli.html

My fuel dilution problems made me look into gasolines more closely. I ended up settling on Sunoco a while back and have had no problems with it. I did it partly for convenience (they're the closest and cheapest "good" gas), partly due to the volume my nearby station sells, and also partly due to the fact that they import no Persian Gulf oil.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 AM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

I also exclusively use BP 93 octane with -NO- ethanol. Only 100% mid-eastern gas for my cars Most of the BP stations around here have E10 for regular and midgrade and 100% gas for premium.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Gannet
I've used Top Tier, and not. I used to be strictly Chevron, but then I started getting elevated fuel in my EOAs and the guy who does my analysis suggested that Techron was to blame. Switched to Shell and the situation improved. I'm making no blanket statement about either fuel, just sharing my experience.

For those who care about the politics of where your oil comes from, see the links at this page from the US Gov't:

My fuel dilution problems made me look into gasolines more closely. I ended up settling on Sunoco a while back and have had no problems with it. I did it partly for convenience (they're the closest and cheapest "good" gas), partly due to the volume my nearby station sells, and also partly due to the fact that they import no Persian Gulf oil.
I like your post and link. I'm glad your saving $$ over the major oil companies. In addition your getting a great Gas.

The link you provided is pretty cool.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 AM
sox3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gannet

Only problem is Sunoco doesn't make the fuel you buy in florida. Your getting fuel from who they contract with. Most of our oil comes from africa. Thanks for supporing my job!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
You don't get it. It's not about the quality of the gas necessarily, it's about the consistency so customers know what to expect. If the Turkey station sells top tier gas they are probably buying it and just reselling the gas. I'm sure Turkey doesn't know anything more about gasoline except from whom to buy it and then resell it.

I think I'm done with this forum. Bye to all and enjoy your cars.
First of all, let me say that I have no facts, but I've got a pretty fair amount of common sense. I've seen several threads regarding Top Tier, and I personally believe it's a crock. Just my opinion, feel free to slam me if you like.

But on to the facts. I've been buying gasoline for about 40 years. now. Lots of it because I do a lot of driving. I've had 56 four wheel vehicles, 11 motorcycles and four boats. Three of the boats have been twin engine "cigarette" boats. The last one had twin 500hp engines. I also raced motorcycles for a few years.

I say this because in all of my experience, I've never had a fuel related problem. I buy from Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc - whatever is convenient. I try to avoid stations that look run down or not professionally run, and I try to buy from busy stations (they turn the gas over frequently, which is considered a good thing).

But back to Top Tier. If this is such a wonderful thing, and is designed to help the consumer, then why in all of my days have I never once seen any gas station list that their gas is Top Tier? Not once have I seen that on a pump or on the sign out by the road? Maybe it's there, but I've never seen it.

I personally believe it is a marketing organization that one of the mfrs contrived (I believe their address is the same as Citgo's) - maybe for good reasons, but if several of the large gas companies are not members, then does that mean their gas is not good?

Finally, consider this. Many Ford vehicles have a label inside the gas door saying "we recommend BP fuel". Anyone like to guess why that is there? $$$$$$$
Old 02-28-2009, 08:49 AM
sox3
Instructor

I would guess that BP makes thier test fuel for the engine division. Sunoco use to supply GM with fuel for the engine test division.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:56 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sox3
I would guess that BP makes thier test fuel for the engine division. Sunoco use to supply GM with fuel for the engine test division.
Don't forget that auto makers buy a lot of fuel that gets pumped into every vehicle that rolls off the assembly line. My point was, what kind of a deal do you think they get for putting that sticker on the door?

BTW, to clarify my post above. I don't mean to imply that Top Tier does not have some minimum requirements that the members must meet. I'm sure they do. I just don't think it says anything about the companies that do not belong. Exxon and BP don't belong, but I feel pretty confident that their gas is just fine. They sell way too much of it for it to be sub-standard.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Only problem is Sunoco doesn't make the fuel you buy in florida. Your getting fuel from who they contract with. Most of our oil comes from africa. Thanks for supporing my job!
I realize that. I have some slight knowledge of how the gasoline and oil system in the country works, and also the history of the oil industry. Still, I'd rather have whatever portion of the price that goes to the home office go to a non-ME home office. It's a really tiny vote, but it's the only vote I have.

Sunoco has worked really well for me. When I travel I take fuels in this order, if possible: Sunoco, Shell, Chevron, Texaco, BP. A few states only have weird fuels once you get away from the big cities.

Last edited by Gannet; 02-28-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really amusing to read all of the "opinions" in a post like this. Most have no facts to back up their opinions other than "been using xxxx for years and never had a problem". Or some great "conspiracy theories" but it's entertaining anyway.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:28 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLACK 08
It's really amusing to read all of the "opinions" in a post like this. Most have no facts to back up their opinions other than "been using xxxx for years and never had a problem". Or some great "conspiracy theories" but it's entertaining anyway.
"been using xxxx for years and never had a problem" IS a fact. And one of the best.

I'm guessing you must know the facts - how about sharing them with us

For what it's worth, there is some truth to what you say, and at least I admitted I had no facts.

But lets clear up one - most people are surprised to find out what country we get most of our crude from. It's very easy to do a google search and find out, but just to make it easier, how many would be surprised to know it is Canada?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

So do you think it is a govenment conspiracy when they say we import 55% of our oil from North and South America mostly Canada and Mexico? http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...nt/import.html
Originally Posted by JVM225
But I think the same is true of most oil producing nations.
You think Canada and Mexico hate us?

Blaming OPEC for oil is a nice political trick but OPEC is not where we get most of our oil. But even if they were, the price of oil is set in a global market. It can be produced anywhere in the world and used anywhere. The cost of transportation is minimal compared to the price of the product. If we would produce more oil in the US, oil prices would fall around the world.

On the other hand, what is wrong with taking OPEC oil and giving them pieces of paper so that we can save our oil for a time when oil prices are even higher? The way we are going, in 50 years most of the OPEC countries will be out of oil and we will still have hundreds of years of supply left inside our borders and just offshore. Is that really a bad long term plan?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
"been using xxxx for years and never had a problem" IS a fact. And one of the best.

I'm guessing you must know the facts - how about sharing them with us

For what it's worth, there is some truth to what you say, and at least I admitted I had no facts.

But lets clear up one - most people are surprised to find out what country we get most of our crude from. It's very easy to do a google search and find out, but just to make it easier, how many would be surprised to know it is Canada?
Sorry but using brand xxxx for years with no problems is NOT A FACT that one brand of gas is any better than another. Nor does it prove or disprove that there is any such thing as "top tier" gasoline. I never claimed to have the facts at all. I'm sorry that I won't read a bunch of "opinions" on the internet and adopt them as fact. You can believe what you want, I'm not trying to change that, but it's still entertaining..
Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLACK 08
Sorry but using brand xxxx for years with no problems is NOT A FACT that one brand of gas is any better than another. Nor does it prove or disprove that there is any such thing as "top tier" gasoline. I never claimed to have the facts at all. I'm sorry that I won't read a bunch of "opinions" on the internet and adopt them as fact. You can believe what you want, I'm not trying to change that, but it's still entertaining..
Where did I say that it proves one brand is better than another? I'm glad you are entertained, but you might want to read what is said, not what you think was said.

Get notified of new replies

To Shell brand gas

Old 02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

All you guys giving me hell for buying Citgo, because of Chavez, are really making me smile. Who doesn't hate the USA these days? Chavez is an ***, and hates the US, but don''t be fooled by the likes of the Saudi's and friends...they hate us just as much, but are smart enough to pretend to be our friend, so they can use us for their own needs. So again, I will buy the best gas available to me in my area. We don't have a whole lot to choose from where I live, this aint Southern California, we don't have Texico, Chevron, Arco, Unocal, etc around here.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:48 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

I don't know which time frame you are speaking of BUT......

up until about 4 years ago (can't tell who provides it now) it was Chevron and BP, PER CONTRACT. Don't know when Sunoco was the provider??
Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JLB768
All you guys giving me hell for buying Citgo, because of Chavez, are really making me smile. Who doesn't hate the USA these days? Chavez is an ***, and hates the US, but don''t be fooled by the likes of the Saudi's and friends...they hate us just as much, but are smart enough to pretend to be our friend, so they can use us for their own needs. So again, I will buy the best gas available to me in my area. We don't have a whole lot to choose from where I live, this aint Southern California, we don't have Texico, Chevron, Arco, Unocal, etc around here.
Yes, but Chavez is in our continent and wants to spread communism in South America. And although the Saudi's are also devils , at least in this case you can pick the devil in which you chose to give money to. Not a very good choice though.

I would be great if we could drill in North America. But, with the current administration you can kiss that goodbye. North America has huge reserves. We need to drill here.

By the way Shell is the best gas here in Chicago 93 octane.

Last edited by Never Say Never; 02-28-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Shell brand gas