C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell brand gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys here is the pamphlet on the nitrogen additive;

Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even gas stations with good fuel can get water in the undergound tanks if a scheister is running the station.

On another topic.....We had a guy selling gas around here who got run out of business for leaking gasoline and MTBE into the groundwater. He knew he was losing gas due to a leak and did nothing about it. A number of homes have been destroyed.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Ask any dealer technician if all gas is the same. I was a tech for many years and the one common thing to most people that came in with clogged injectors, knocking from carbon... was cheap gas. I remember countless Caddy Northstars that came in knocking like crazy on cold starts, what was the fix? - Top engine cleaning and telling the customer to quit buying that cheap *** Kroger gas.

My dad experienced the exact same thing in his Caddy. Kept running rough, knocking on start up... after two trips to the dealer for injector cleanings, they finally told him - no more. The next injector cleaning is one you, and they gave him the bulletin about top tier gas. He thought it was bull and blamed it on poor factory tuning, bad engine design... gas is a commodity.... One day I asked him where are you getting your gas? Kroger, we use our discount card. Well dad, I use shell or BP and have never had fuel injectors cleaned my entire life. Need any more convincing? He switched to name brand gas, tries to stick to Shell and has not had a single injector clogging problem since.

I have a friend in engineering that was involved with the Top Tier stuff when it was being created. It started from the car manufacturers, tired of paying millions in warranty claims from clogged up fuel systems.
They recognized the govt's minumum requirements for detergents were not sufficient to keep fuel injection systems clean. So a group of car company's fuel engineers worked with a group of oil companies to develop a better standard for detergents, and anyone that met those levels could be listed as top tier. Any other story you hear is BS. Of course it is used as marketing. If your company met the better standard, wouldn't you market that?

After my dad switched away from Kroger gas to Shell five years ago, his Caddy has run perfect. I highly doubt that was just a coincidence.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michrider
Ask any dealer technician if all gas is the same. I was a tech for many years and the one common thing to most people that came in with clogged injectors, knocking from carbon... was cheap gas. I remember countless Caddy Northstars that came in knocking like crazy on cold starts, what was the fix? - Top engine cleaning and telling the customer to quit buying that cheap *** Kroger gas.

My dad experienced the exact same thing in his Caddy. Kept running rough, knocking on start up... after two trips to the dealer for injector cleanings, they finally told him - no more. The next injector cleaning is one you, and they gave him the bulletin about top tier gas. He thought it was bull and blamed it on poor factory tuning, bad engine design... gas is a commodity.... One day I asked him where are you getting your gas? Kroger, we use our discount card. Well dad, I use shell or BP and have never had fuel injectors cleaned my entire life. Need any more convincing? He switched to name brand gas, tries to stick to Shell and has not had a single injector clogging problem since.

I have a friend in engineering that was involved with the Top Tier stuff when it was being created. It started from the car manufacturers, tired of paying millions in warranty claims from clogged up fuel systems.
They recognized the govt's minumum requirements for detergents were not sufficient to keep fuel injection systems clean. So a group of car company's fuel engineers worked with a group of oil companies to develop a better standard for detergents, and anyone that met those levels could be listed as top tier. Any other story you hear is BS. Of course it is used as marketing. If your company met the better standard, wouldn't you market that?

After my dad switched away from Kroger gas to Shell five years ago, his Caddy has run perfect. I highly doubt that was just a coincidence.
Great post and well said.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by Rob 99

Kewl...thanks!!!! The most helpful post here......
Old 03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
tls630
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post and well said. Cheap gas does not pay. If you want to shop around shop the name brand stations!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I think Shell has come up with a good marketing campaign.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

The days of carbon build up are over.

10% Ethanol (eats everything) combined with detergents all gas must carry = you win.

Pay 10-20cents more per gallon at Chevron / Shell if you like.

I know I feel extra special thinking my Corvette is enjoying that Techron.

Reality is I just overspent on my little dream.

I won't go into the Octane thing.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM
SlideRulz
Burning Brakes

Life is to short to use CHEAP gas. I only use top tier gas.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:

Originally Posted by owebo
Kewl...thanks!!!! The most helpful post here......

Yea i know, this post drifited way off topic not unlike many threads here
I should have titled it differently, oh well.
Hope the info is helpful
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Rowboat66
Racer

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
I also exclusively use BP 93 octane with -NO- ethanol. Only 100% mid-eastern gas for my cars Most of the BP stations around here have E10 for regular and midgrade and 100% gas for premium.
I use the BP 93 for the same reason.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
keg
Burning Brakes

To those who use Shell gas i was fueling up my truck and noticed a banner at the station 'NEW NITROGEN ENRICHED' Shell Gasoline,
i asked the attendant if he had any info about this and he gave me a small phamplet it explains that this additive is for keeping gunk buildup on the valves and injectors, "Shell V-power is our best gasoline containing the highest concentration of our new Nitrogen enriched cleaning system".
So i wonder if this is a replacement additive for Techron which helps eliminate the sulpher buildup on the gauge sending unit?
Also there was nothing on there website about this yet.
Any chemist's onboard to chime in?
For what it's worth I saw the same thing here in PA. just this last Saturday and was wondering what this was to do to our cars. Thanks for posting the question.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

I used no-name premium in my 2001 E320 for 80,000 miles. It started running poorly around 55,000 miles, and I started added Techron every few months. It helped temporarily, but the rough idle always returned.

A couple of years ago I got a Shell credit card that rebates 5% and I started using Shell V-Power in my E-320. The car now has 105,000 miles and it runs well.

Without a control, this isn't a scientific process, but the results are good enough for me.

I also run Shell, Chevron or Conoco in my C6 about 90% of the time.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Evidently, as of today, the stuff is now in all Shell stations across the country.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/n...858/index.html
Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MurphMan2
Evidently, as of today, the stuff is now in all Shell stations across the country.

Good find, now for the snow to melt so i can start burning nitrogen & rubber
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 PM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by JLB768
I use Citgo in the Vette, as it's the highest rated octane around here @ 93. Our local Shell is 91, and the Speedway around the corner, is also 91. Then we have the cheap no name stations, won't even touch that gas.
Don't know how anyone living in this country can use Citgo products, especially in a Corvette.

"Venezuela government is sole owner of Citgo gasoline company. Venezuela Dictator Hugo Chavez has vowed to bring down the U.S. government. Chavez, president of Venezuela , told a TV audience : "Enough of imperialist aggression; we must tell the world: down with the U.S. empire. We have to bury imperialism this century.""
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WHT
Don't know how anyone living in this country can use Citgo products, especially in a Corvette.

"Venezuela government is sole owner of Citgo gasoline company. Venezuela Dictator Hugo Chavez has vowed to bring down the U.S. government. Chavez, president of Venezuela , told a TV audience : "Enough of imperialist aggression; we must tell the world: down with the U.S. empire. We have to bury imperialism this century.""
Yet we have members here on the forum that supposedly live in the United States that state "Politics do not enter into any of my buying decisions. Period. ".
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
...Pay 10-20cents more per gallon at Chevron / Shell if you like.

I know I feel extra special thinking my Corvette is enjoying that Techron.

Reality is I just overspent on my little dream...
Let's do some math. 12,000 miles a year is a good average for a normal car. The average Corvette is probably less. 20mpg is a fair average for the C6. That's 600 gallons per year. A 15 gallon fillup almost every week. At $0.10/gallon extra that's $60 a year.

I haven't found Shell or Chevron to cost any more than the cheapest 93 octane. Maybe a couple of pennies more on 87 octane.

I guess I'm going to be seeing if that nitrogen stuff works soon. I think it is good to have a difference in additives. Like laundry detergent, changing brands gets things cleaner because some additives work better on some dirt and others work on other kinds.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MurphMan2

Quick Reply: Shell brand gas