C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

• • > Chuck CoW Travels to CHINA for TUNING - THE VIDEO < • •

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default • • > Chuck CoW Travels to CHINA for TUNING - THE VIDEO < • •

Chuck CoW Travels to CHINA for TUNING
-------------------------------------

A bit over two years ago I was contacted by a race team based in Hong Kong, China. Initially, I was asked many questions about preparing a "MAIL ORDER TUNE" for a 2007 ZO6. I suspected this guy was an amateur driver looking to play with his car like so many of us do... Boy, was I wrong.

Back in the beginning of 2007 we had just moved into our new location and found ourselves in the office quite late most nights of the week getting settled in... On a few of those late nights, the phone would ring at near midnight (which was likely about noon in China) and the fella would ask all kinds of questions regarding the mail order tune and other questions about the Corvette he had purchased. This went on for a while and each time we spoke, I got another small piece of the puzzle.

Finally, after several conversations at midnight about his project, I decided to ask him straight out..."Now that we've spent all this time on the phone...What kind of project is this and when are you going to commit to it???

Over the next few days the conversation changed from him asking me questions to me asking HIM questions about what he was doing and what he needed.

I soon learned that he had purchased four 2007 base model Corvettes and four LS7 crate engines, and all of the necessary parts to build four incredible steel framed ZO6 race cars for FULL COMPETITION RACING.

Since the vehicles were gutted of any and all factory systems, we decided to make custom engine harnesses and utilize the stock electronic throttle bodies and engine control computers. I also sent over four VARARAM Snake Charmer intakes and miscellaneous parts to make everything work. Last but not least, four engine control computers were specially modified and tuned so that the LS7 engines could exist and operate correctly in the absence of all of the other electronic systems removed from the vehicles.

After sending everything over to them, we had another important conversation. I asked him...What EXACTLY are you doing with these cars and HOW FAST do you drive them??? He explained and then told me he was to be racing in excess of 250 Kilometers per hour.

A quick check with an online metric conversion site told me that he would be racing at speeds approaching 170MPH! OMG, how much air does the VARARAM move at 170MPH??? I had NO IDEA!

Michael, I told him....I think it's necessary for me to come there to tune them in person...otherwise, I think something's gonna BLOW UP! Only God knows what the AFR is gonna be like at 170MPH...Cause I sure don't...

After some hurried negotiations, some plane tickets were bought and we were off to meet Michael in Hong Kong to discuss the car and then on to mainland China for some dyno testing and on track tuning

The video you are about to watch starts off when we first arrived at the track where the Corvettes were being built and tested and ends with a fantastic in car camera view of some recent FULL COMPETITION RACING.

Ironically, and despite the fact that I was actually in China to tune the cars back in March 2007, Please realize that the "MACAU" racing footage at the end of the video was actually tuned through the mail.

In other words, the car is presently running a "CHUCK COW MAIL ORDER TUNE" where three different E38 C6 computers, each with a slightly different engine calibration, were UPS'd to China overnight delivery immediately before the car was shipped to the track.

Mail order tuning ACTUALLY WORKS!

ENJOY!

http://www.corvettes-of-westchester.com/China_Video/

For anyone interested, the MACAU GT CUP track is one of the FASTEST CITY tracks in the world. Below is a link to a video we were given that better shows the type of racing our Corvette had to endure. The track is VERY EXCITING and at times SCARY. In Asia, it is quite an honor have the opportunity to compete at this facility as usually only the Pros qualify to race here.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=Odt9uM...eature=related

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-23-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great writing!
Thanks..
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 AM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks, Chuck. enjoyed the video, pretty cool.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Phil_Le_Mans_Blue
Instructor

Very cool!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember getting my mail order tune just before your trip. Cool to see the results.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Nice Vid and looked like the custom Vette was giving the exotics all they wanted
Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

cool thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Very cool Chuck
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty damn cool Chuck! Now I really want to meet up with you and have my car dialed in in person!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice job Chuck!! So you were using the standard electronic throttle body but was able to ditch most of the rest of the factory systems? If you can do that, why not ditch the electronic throttle body for a cable driven one? Or are you able to completely eliminate the nannies on this thing? Must have been a cool trip - beautiful country over there.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
FUNTRUN
Racer

So Chuck, at what speeds does the Vararam start forcing enough air into the system to really lean out the AFR enough to cause trouble in a properly tuned C6 with Vararam, lg pro headers and dyno tune??
Old 04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default You know, I'm not really sure....

Originally Posted by FUNTRUN
So Chuck, at what speeds does the Vararam start forcing enough air into the system to really lean out the AFR enough to cause trouble in a properly tuned C6 with Vararam, lg pro headers and dyno tune??
I know it works like crazy above 70 MPH but, not sure where we'd have to worry about leaning out.....

But, I didn't wanna find out either. I kept it plenty safe....

Chuck CoW
Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default The electronic throttle is VERY FAST....

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
Nice job Chuck!! So you were using the standard electronic throttle body but was able to ditch most of the rest of the factory systems? If you can do that, why not ditch the electronic throttle body for a cable driven one? Or are you able to completely eliminate the nannies on this thing? Must have been a cool trip - beautiful country over there.
The electronic throttle is VERY FAST....and doesn't really interfere when you set the tune up properly.... NO ABS...NO T/C... NO NUTHIN'!

Chuck CoW
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
enzodude
Advanced

Wow! That street circuit was nuts! Need a huge set to race those.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Vette'n04
Pro

Chuck at C.o.W. is THE REAL DEAL!! He knows his stuff. If ANYONE had second thoughts about Chuck or his tunes before, they should most definately be put aside now. Chuck recently did a tune for me with some other mods. I am very happy with the results. This coming weekend I am bringing my car to him for a few more mods (HATE this mod fever stuff...its killing me!). Chuck is very knowledgable and runs a VERY professional operation! If TOP race car drivers trust Chuck and his reputation that has to tell us all something! GREAT video Chuck! I'll see you this weekend for the gears!
Rich
Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
rcmigpilot
Racer

So Chuck, when we gonna see you on the gulf coast again?

Get notified of new replies

To • • > Chuck CoW Travels to CHINA for TUNING - THE VIDEO < • •

Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great story Chuck, thanks for sharing the video!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM
GrandSportGirly
Melting Slicks

I saw that video when Chuck was down here a few months ago, Awesome!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peter pan
Nice Vid and looked like the custom Vette was giving the exotics all they wanted
You said it bro.

Quick Reply: • • > Chuck CoW Travels to CHINA for TUNING - THE VIDEO < • •