C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big speeding ticket!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:31 PM
berick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big speeding ticket!!!

So I was on my way home the other night and going through the last section of an Industrial kind of business park when I got a ticket to appear in court for driving too fast! Now before everyone chimes in and says I'm some kind of wreckless driver etc... please listen to the details first. Keep in mind I also had a clean liscense up to this incident.

The speed limit in this area was 70km/hr and he clocked me at 127km/hr. I was just headed out of the park and the lanes were twinned but turned into single lane in about a kilometer. There were 3 pickups all towing travel trailers and a couple of cars in between them and they were all off to the right lane. I wanted to pass them all before I got stuck following behind them on a single lane all the way home (I'm sure most can relate to this). So I put the hammer down (only slightly) and passed them just before the two lanes merged into one. Just as I passed the last vacationing slowpoke an oncoming copper nails me with radar! He didn't give me any break at all and now I have to go to court for going 57km/hr over the posted speed limit! In Alberta anything over 50km/hr is an automatic court appearance.

I asked the officer what I could expect as far as demerits on my liscence go and he told me it would be 6 demerits and I would likely have my liscense suspended for 1 month. A fine and demerits I can live with. The demerits equal up to 2 speeding tickets but to lose my liscense for a month when I need to travel to my job everyday is gonna really screw me up! I travel quite far and nobody from work lives near me.

Has anyone ever had something similiar to this happen to them before? Have you ever fought it with those traffic-ticket lawyer guys and gotten off from some of the punishment? I realize I should get something for my poor judgement call but losing my liscense is not cool... or maybe it's just me?
Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM
troy144
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is waaaay too fast. I bend the rules a little sometimes, but not that much. You could cause another driver to panic and wreck. Time to follow the rules of the road. Good Luck anyway
Old 07-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Gramps
Burning Brakes

Ya pays your money and ya take yer chances. Or in your case, ya takes yer chances then ya pays yer money.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Different areas have different rules and I don't know what they are in Canada other than your having to go to court. I'm not sure a lawyer would normally be a good way to spend funds for a speeding ticket but this one could have a big impact on your life for awhile.

Firstly, I'd just call a few lawyers to see if they feel that their involvement woulld lead to any type of reduction. If that doesn't seem likely, I would appear in court and honestly explain the situation and ask for a reduction. Some judges are more lenient than others and will consider the circumstances. I once got a ticket out of state for a somewhat similar situation, wrote to the judge and admitted being wrong, asked for a reduction, and he found me guilty of speeding at a reduced speed, which helped a lot. This was out in the middle of nowhere and I think he understood the frustrations of having to stay behind slow trucks on two-lane roads. But I also wasn't in a situation where I would have caused any concern to anyone else.

Regardless, good luck in getting this taken care of.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by troy144
That is waaaay too fast. I bend the rules a little sometimes, but not that much. You could cause another driver to panic and wreck. Time to follow the rules of the road. Good Luck anyway
78 MPH is waaaay too fast? And you live in Nevada? Just why did you buy a Corvette, anyway?

To the OP: lawyer up, that's what they're for.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

You have no choice but to get a Lawyer, that really is your only option. I have had a few incidents in the past 2 years and the Lawyer was able to get speeding reduced to another minor violation, well worth the money.

Last edited by dvilin; 07-19-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gannet
78 MPH is waaaay too fast? And you live in Nevada? Just why did you buy a Corvette, anyway?

To the OP: lawyer up, that's what they're for.

As a former P.O. many cops don't go to court also. You may get lucky. But, get a lawyer and you should be okay.

Good luck and let us know.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dvilin
You have no choice but to get a Lawyer, that really is your only option. I have had a few incidents in the past 2 years and the Lawyer was able to get speeding reduced to another minor violation, well worth the money.
....and I CAN relate to your situation. I have the same problem where I live. TOURISTS, not knowing where they are going and drivers who think LEGALLY PASSING another vehicle is akin to MURDER. I feel your pain. And to the Leo who posted 78 mph is to fast.....GIVE ME A BREAK. When was the last time you passed a line of traffic in a Corvette. I think the "Mountie" should have given you a break after you explained the situation. It proves that there are "$ricks" up north tooooo.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:20 PM
lstorm2003
Racer

Or just drive very carefully during the month you are suspended. I had to do that once.. Had no choice as I had to get to work... I had a 30 day suspension for > 12 points in 12 months. I just had lots of tickets that year that were like 46 in a 35. 57 in a 45. 74 in a 55. Lots of BS tickets just added up to screw me over.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:30 PM
berick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension

As a former P.O. many cops don't go to court also. You may get lucky. But, get a lawyer and you should be okay.

Good luck and let us know.
As a former P.O. your input means a lot bud. I think I will call a few of those traffic lawyer fellas tomorrow am... hopefully with some good feedback!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM
berick
Instructor

Originally Posted by lstorm2003
Or just drive very carefully during the month you are suspended. I had to do that once.. Had no choice as I had to get to work... I had a 30 day suspension for > 12 points in 12 months. I just had lots of tickets that year that were like 46 in a 35. 57 in a 45. 74 in a 55. Lots of BS tickets just added up to screw me over.
lol. Not sure I like this idea... I did it a few times when I was a teenager, but if a guy ever got caught now (driving with a suspended liscense) I think I'd be in one helluva worse bind than I'm in now!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Get a lawyer. If anything he may be able to get the charges reduced. About 35mph over will get you a ticket every single time. I know some states you'll go directly to jail for going 50% over. Generally if you are passing more than one car with the Corvette, you'll be going way to fast if you don't pay attention to your speed.

I wouldn't be suprised if the cop going the other way made it worse for you.

Don't do anything else illegal say driving if your license is suspended. Just find a ride to work or take some vacation time. Look into public transit also.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:45 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm not sure what you think are the exigent circumstances that relieve you of responsibility in that example, but to be sure, retaining capable counsel can probably result in a lessening of the charges and potential impact on your license.

Your point about getting around the slow pokes is understandable, but it doesn't exempt drivers from following the speed limits and the constable probably took advantage of your lapse in judgement - - for sure he didn't cut you any slack.

Good luck-
Old 07-19-2009, 04:45 PM
benmass
2nd Gear

Wow, definitely call a lawyer, the only time I got pulled over and had to go to court, it was for doing 91 in a 55, in Virginia, got tabbed for reckless driving (more than 20 over anywhere in that state). I got a lawyer for $400 and I wrote a letter explaining everything (#1: i accepted blame and responsibility to the judge! also, it was 4am, no traffic, awake, polite to a polite officer, etc). The judge let the lawyer stand in for me since I was in NY and gave me 1 year advisement(?) - meaning, after a year if I had no other VA tickets, then the reckless driving charge was dropped! Your luck may not be as good as mine, however.

Then again, I've also been given a (verbal!) warning for doing 93 in a 55 and 85 in a 40. for me, it came down to being polite, open, and honest with the police officer (it also started raining in the 85/40 incident when he let me go ). I've been pulled over 17 times now, and I've never had anything on my record. Wow. I guess I am a bit lucky...

Maybe it's a good thing I got stationed in Germany where I can now comfortably cruise at 140mph without fear of reprisal
Old 07-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Trpblk04
Burning Brakes

One word; "Lawyer" the law is trying to make you an example.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should consider getting a lawyer. Here in California that would be considered wreak less driving. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
berick
Instructor

Originally Posted by benmass
Wow, definitely call a lawyer, the only time I got pulled over and had to go to court, it was for doing 91 in a 55, in Virginia, got tabbed for reckless driving (more than 20 over anywhere in that state). I got a lawyer for $400 and I wrote a letter explaining everything (#1: i accepted blame and responsibility to the judge! also, it was 4am, no traffic, awake, polite to a polite officer, etc). The judge let the lawyer stand in for me since I was in NY and gave me 1 year advisement(?) - meaning, after a year if I had no other VA tickets, then the reckless driving charge was dropped! Your luck may not be as good as mine, however.

Then again, I've also been given a (verbal!) warning for doing 93 in a 55 and 85 in a 40. for me, it came down to being polite, open, and honest with the police officer (it also started raining in the 85/40 incident when he let me go ). I've been pulled over 17 times now, and I've never had anything on my record. Wow. I guess I am a bit lucky...

Maybe it's a good thing I got stationed in Germany where I can now comfortably cruise at 140mph without fear of reprisal
You are extremely lucky!!

Get notified of new replies

To Big speeding ticket!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by berick
So I was on my way home the other night and going through the last section of an Industrial kind of business park when I got a ticket to appear in court for driving too fast! Now before everyone chimes in and says I'm some kind of wreckless driver etc... please listen to the details first. Keep in mind I also had a clean liscense up to this incident.

The speed limit in this area was 70km/hr and he clocked me at 127km/hr. I was just headed out of the park and the lanes were twinned but turned into single lane in about a kilometer. There were 3 pickups all towing travel trailers and a couple of cars in between them and they were all off to the right lane. I wanted to pass them all before I got stuck following behind them on a single lane all the way home (I'm sure most can relate to this). So I put the hammer down (only slightly) and passed them just before the two lanes merged into one. Just as I passed the last vacationing slowpoke an oncoming copper nails me with radar! He didn't give me any break at all and now I have to go to court for going 57km/hr over the posted speed limit! In Alberta anything over 50km/hr is an automatic court appearance.

I asked the officer what I could expect as far as demerits on my liscence go and he told me it would be 6 demerits and I would likely have my liscense suspended for 1 month. A fine and demerits I can live with. The demerits equal up to 2 speeding tickets but to lose my liscense for a month when I need to travel to my job everyday is gonna really screw me up! I travel quite far and nobody from work lives near me.

Has anyone ever had something similiar to this happen to them before? Have you ever fought it with those traffic-ticket lawyer guys and gotten off from some of the punishment? I realize I should get something for my poor judgement call but losing my liscense is not cool... or maybe it's just me?
So you were doing about 80mph in a 40mph speed zone.

Sounds like you're *****d.

BTW, how do you like the supercharger?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

Get a lawyer. Possibly you can get a permit to drive to work and back to the house.

You got caught doing 35 MPH over, not good.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Former Ricer
Instructor

Originally Posted by berick

I am a lawyer in Alberta. I dont do alot of traffic as it is not worth most peoples time to higher a lawyer but in your case i recommend retaining the services of one. A lawyer with a good relationship with the traffic crowns (not lawyers but almost all ex cops) should be able to get you down to 49km over. This way you will keep your license.

Quick Reply: Big speeding ticket!!!