C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
My '05 did the same thing about once a month. I found that lifting my foot off the brake pedal, then pushing down on brake pedal again worked every time. This was my fix--yours may vary.
Yes this sounds like the same problem.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dogosaur
I've experienced a similar issue but have always been able to correct it within moments. I read in the manual that when the shifter sticks, release the shifter button on top, push the shifter forward to make sure it's in park, then retry. That has always corrected the problem for me. (knockin on wood here). Anyway, if that doesn't do it then I think you have a dealership issue. Good luck with it.
Mine is doing the opposite when shutting car off it goes into park easily but then when I shut down and selector is in Park, I get the signal, "Shift to park" What I do then is push the shifter button and brake and between the two and the "Shift to park" warning goes away. But the shifter is not locking up on me. The warning chimes come on when I get that warning on display and then both go away after manipulating brake and shifter.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Dogosaur
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS Won..I think you should take it in to a dealer before you get really stuck someplace. Your issue doesn't sound like anything anyone else has posted here. It could very well be the same issue but it sure doesn't sound like it. If you have it in Park and you still get a warning then some type of relay or contact switch or something isn't working correctly. The gist of what these guys are getting at, and me too, is that AFTER it's in Park, we can't move the shifter without going thru some type of rain dance on the roof and kissing the shifter etc etc etc. You are saying that yours goes into Park and then the car says Hey, put me in Park. Something else is wrong there. Just my .02 worth. Good Luck
Old 09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dogosaur
LS Won..I think you should take it in to a dealer before you get really stuck someplace. Your issue doesn't sound like anything anyone else has posted here. It could very well be the same issue but it sure doesn't sound like it. If you have it in Park and you still get a warning then some type of relay or contact switch or something isn't working correctly. The gist of what these guys are getting at, and me too, is that AFTER it's in Park, we can't move the shifter without going thru some type of rain dance on the roof and kissing the shifter etc etc etc. You are saying that yours goes into Park and then the car says Hey, put me in Park. Something else is wrong there. Just my .02 worth. Good Luck
Thanks for the input. I did take it in dealearship before but problem returned shortly thereafter. Thus far this is what I have been doing when this happens. I thought it could be related in some way since it involved the shifter and if the problem gets worse
Hopefully not but just a thought we could have the same related sensor or contact going out.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
OhNiner
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON
Thanks for the input. I did take it in dealearship before but problem returned shortly thereafter. Thus far this is what I have been doing when this happens. I thought it could be related in some way since it involved the shifter and if the problem gets worse
Hopefully not but just a thought we could have the same related sensor or contact going out.
I took mine to the dealer and they could not make it lock up again so they sent me home. The next time it locked up I had it towed to the dealer, the tow truck driver tried to get it out of park but could not. When he got to the dealer the shifter worked fine again but the dealer replaced it.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 PM
BBinFla
Instructor

How much was that repair or was it a GM warranty/ GMPP extended warranty repair?
Just over $500. I don't have an extended warranty so it was out of pocket.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BBinFla
Just over $500. I don't have an extended warranty so it was out of pocket.
$500?I guess this would have been a good time to have an extended warranty?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OhNiner
I took mine to the dealer and they could not make it lock up again so they sent me home. The next time it locked up I had it towed to the dealer, the tow truck driver tried to get it out of park but could not. When he got to the dealer the shifter worked fine again but the dealer replaced it.
That's the problem with alot of these glitches they never are duplicated when you bring it in to dealership. Somehow car acts like it is on it's best behavior.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 AM
VipersRnotVettes
Racer

It seems to me that if it is the solenoid switch that goes bad, you would think that GM would get as replacement solenoid in their parts list...but wait...that would make too much sense..hopefully they will resolve this recuring problem with the shifter assembly. Knock on wood..I have a 2006 and no issues to date...how's that for jinxing myself...
Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Maybe we will have to do a search on this to see if there are any TSB's on this problem.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Tom Bixby
Cruising

Default STUCK SHIFT LEVER 2005 C6 Coupe

My 2005 Coupe does this regularly, except when I take it to the dealer! This is more of a solenoid / electrical or computer problem than the one described by the people taliking about using the hand brake or pushing the car forward as when the weight of the car prevent the parking pawl from releaseing. Question, do most of you have the memory package that automatically adjusts the seats when you get in? I have notices that SOMTIMES but not always, the things locks up when I try to move it out of park before the seats and telescopic steering whel reset. This seems like a common enough problem that Chevy ought to have a bulletin on it. How do we go about making them aware of our frustration?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom Bixby
My 2005 Coupe does this regularly, except when I take it to the dealer! This is more of a solenoid / electrical or computer problem than the one described by the people taliking about using the hand brake or pushing the car forward as when the weight of the car prevent the parking pawl from releaseing. Question, do most of you have the memory package that automatically adjusts the seats when you get in? I have notices that SOMTIMES but not always, the things locks up when I try to move it out of park before the seats and telescopic steering whel reset. This seems like a common enough problem that Chevy ought to have a bulletin on it. How do we go about making them aware of our frustration?
I didn't order that seat option but I have the "Shift to Park" problem once it is in park after I shut car off this appears in DIC. I just push the automatic button on top of shifter ONCE and it clears DIC.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM
RDFLYER
Advanced

Default Stuck in Park

I have 45000 on my 05 coupe and that happened once very recently.
I shut it off and restarted it. No other problems with it--YET!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:43 PM
the_swede
7th Gear

hi guys i know this is a few months late about 12 = P but i have bought me a crovette c6 damage How do i get the gear out of P and in to N do i need to turn on the engien. can i get in N with no power? so I can push around the car in the workshop. has no ***** to put in a battery. Yet for want to check out cables, etc. before I do it. btw anyone have a good dealer for parts with good prices and a fine spinal That ships Internationally. Sincerely, The Swede

Last edited by the_swede; 06-18-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:16 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by the_swede
hi guys i know this is a few months late about 12 = P but i have bought me a crovette c6 damage How do i get the gear out of P and in to N do i need to turn on the engien. can i get in N with no power? so I can push around the car in the workshop. has no ***** to put in a battery. Yet for want to check out cables, etc. before I do it. btw anyone have a good dealer for parts with good prices and a fine spinal That ships Internationally. Sincerely, The Swede
Abel Chev. in Rio Vista ask for Rich in parts. He is the best.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 AM
HawaiiBob
Advanced

Default stuck in park

It's the solinoid or the micro-switch, take it to the dealer.

Same thing happened to me on my 05. Struggled with it for months before I broke down and had it fixed.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

OK I'll be the first to post this. The MN6 option eliminates this problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
txsugar08
Pro

How much was that repair or was it a GM warranty/ GMPP extended warranty repair?
It has not happen to my 07 Vette but it did happen to my 07 Charger. The wifey and I were going out for dinner one evening. Get in, start it up, press the brake and tried to shift out of park and nothing. This went of for approximately 15 min without any success. I give my local dodge dealer's service manager a call on his cell phone, to find out his at Disney with his family. He takes out time to walks me through a temporary fix, which included opening the center console. To make a long story short, the safety switch that connects brake pedal and the shifter had broke. When I pressed the brake the cable would pull but the switch would not release the shifter. Why, Dodge has no clue but told me that my car was not the first one. Repaired under warranty.

Last edited by txsugar08; 06-28-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing the shifter is not a permanent fix...

In the Chrysler/Dodge world the shifter breaks a little tab inside the housing that holds the end of the spring that allows the part to come out of park. The Dodge crowd fixed this by having a new aftermarket piece made of aluminum instead of plastic, thus never to break again.

Replacing the shifter only means the same thing will happen again later as Mopar did not fix the problem, meaning they just throw on another shifter with the same weak part that ends up breaking again down the road.

Prior to having the plastic piece duplicated in aluminum they simply drilled a small hole in the existing broken plastic piece and reattached the spring and it worked fine.

I am very surprised that as much detail on so many things we do to our cars that no one has yet opened up a Corvette shifter to find out what the problem is and found a fix for it.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
HawaiiBob
Advanced

Default micro switch

I have opened it up. The problem for me was the microswitch at the top of the shifter stop. The Metal arm was misaligned/worn. Bent the arm a bit and it worked and has worked from then on.

Just removed the shifter, then removed the boot, then adjusted the microswitch arms.

It doesn't look like a very sturdy design and looks to be easily fubared.

I'll be replacing my boot tonight and I'll take some pics.

Quick Reply: Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?