C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 AM
DonEL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my 05 automatic fixed. They replaced the shifter but the Technician wasn't happy with the feel of it so took it back out and checked further. He found that the cable was also shredded. Had to use a flashlight to look toward the rear to actually see it. My extended warranty picked up the bill but as I recall it was under $500 for shifter, cable and labor. If you take it out be sure to check the cable. It would have left me standed had the Tech not found it.

DonL
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DonEL
I just had my 05 automatic fixed. They replaced the shifter but the Technician wasn't happy with the feel of it so took it back out and checked further. He found that the cable was also shredded. Had to use a flashlight to look toward the rear to actually see it. My extended warranty picked up the bill but as I recall it was under $500 for shifter, cable and labor. If you take it out be sure to check the cable. It would have left me standed had the Tech not found it.

DonL
Had my automatic shifter also replaced under GMPP extended warranty which will expire in December. Do you think it's worth extending the GMPP warranty?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepweters1
Hi Ive got a 2005 automatic C6. Problem is it sometimes will stick in park and wont let you shift into another gear(ie RN or D) with out playing with it for 1-4 minutes! I jiggle it and try to move it then after 1-4 minutes it will move.

Ive taken it to the dealer but they said they didn't know?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike
As said above, sometimes it isn't all the way in Park, so release the button, then push it up a little bit and try again.

However, be careful. It's easier than you think to snap the shifter cable. Happened to me. Looking back at the time it happened, I remember forcing the shifter before I had fully depressed the button... bang - snapped the shifter cable.

Good news is the cable costs about $12 bucks. Bad news is a dealer will rip you off. Where I live, the dealer was the only place I could get it done. I had no idea what was actually wrong... just that I couldn't get it in reverse - only neutral & drive.

The dealer charged me $1200. Yup, insane right? They said it was expensive because they had to remove the center console

I told them I've had the console out 2 or 3 times and do it with one hand. Then they changed their story and said the steep charge was because when the cable snapped it caused additional damage to the shifter mechanism itself.

When I picked up the car I asked to see that damaged shifter mechanism but of course they couldn't find it.

Ask me why I hate GM dealers so much... go ahead ask me.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
jenward74
Advanced

Glad I found this thread. Just started having this problem today. Actually, it began with "Service Active Handling System", which I have seen before and need to get checked per the TSB. Then the cruise control would not activate, which I attributed to the Active Handling problem. Had to stop for an errand, got back in the car and it wouldn't shift out of Park. Wiggled, pushed, cussed, googled from Iphone. Finally killed the engine, put the car in "Accessory Mode", shifted from Park to Neutral, started the car, shifted to Drive, and went on down the road. "Active Handling" cleared but still no Cruise Control. Got to destination, killed the car and tried to start over, still won't shift out of Park with engine running. Thank God for GMPP, will be visiting dealership first thing in the a.m., IF I can get the darn thing out of Park again...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
hongkongstewy
Racer

Originally Posted by Dogosaur
I've experienced a similar issue but have always been able to correct it within moments. I read in the manual that when the shifter sticks, release the shifter button on top, push the shifter forward to make sure it's in park, then retry. That has always corrected the problem for me. (knockin on wood here). Anyway, if that doesn't do it then I think you have a dealership issue. Good luck with it.
have an 05
Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM
COURTY05
Intermediate

I am having the same issues here as we speak... I also have an 05 coupe with only 42K miles on it. I finally had enough of it and dropped it off at the chevy dealership this morning. It's starting to become a major nuisance happening a good 75% of the time it seems anymore. It took 20 minutes this morning to get that thing out of park so that I could get to work !! I have tried everything.....

Of course when i got it to the dealership this morning it worked fine... My vette has been in there hands since 8am and it isn't acting up any for them - go figure! My vette does have an extended warranty on it thank god, but until they find the problem they won't fix it. I guess since they see that I'm a "girl" that I obviously don't know a thing or two. And since it's coming out of park for them, pretty sure i'm looking crazy to them right about now! HA!

After hearing from everyones experiences it seems that it is the shift solenoid that needs to be replaced. I've relayed this information to the dealership, but since they aren't having any issues with the shifter they don't see a need it seems or the proof to have to get inside that shifter console to figure it out! Lazy bums! This is so frustrating!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First rule of being a Technician:

1. Verify the customer's complaint.

Sucks I know, I hate having to write down the dreaded "Unable to Duplicate" but it is what it is.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by keyplyr
As said above, sometimes it isn't all the way in Park, so release the button, then push it up a little bit and try again.

However, be careful. It's easier than you think to snap the shifter cable. Happened to me. Looking back at the time it happened, I remember forcing the shifter before I had fully depressed the button... bang - snapped the shifter cable.

Good news is the cable costs about $12 bucks. Bad news is a dealer will rip you off. Where I live, the dealer was the only place I could get it done. I had no idea what was actually wrong... just that I couldn't get it in reverse - only neutral & drive.

The dealer charged me $1200. Yup, insane right? They said it was expensive because they had to remove the center console

I told them I've had the console out 2 or 3 times and do it with one hand. Then they changed their story and said the steep charge was because when the cable snapped it caused additional damage to the shifter mechanism itself.

When I picked up the car I asked to see that damaged shifter mechanism but of course they couldn't find it.

Ask me why I hate GM dealers so much... go ahead ask me.

They replaced the whole shifter. I was told it would have cost $300 if I had no warranty. After that no more "shift to park" before shutting car down.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
They replaced the whole shifter. I was told it would have cost $300 if I had no warranty. After that no more "shift to park" before shutting car down.
Well $300 sounds a lot better than $1200. As I said my dealer is beyond ridiculous.

I still need to put the car in Park to turn it off. Maybe it's because mine is an '5 A4.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dogosaur
I've experienced a similar issue but have always been able to correct it within moments. I read in the manual that when the shifter sticks, release the shifter button on top, push the shifter forward to make sure it's in park, then retry. That has always corrected the problem for me. (knockin on wood here). Anyway, if that doesn't do it then I think you have a dealership issue. Good luck with it.
I had a similar problem in that it was the opposite. When I put it in park it said "Shift to park" I had to push the button a few times. Finally I got tired of this and had dealer replace auto shifter which took care of it under GMPP extended warranty.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Well $300 sounds a lot better than $1200. As I said my dealer is beyond ridiculous.
I still need to put the car in Park to turn it off. Maybe it's because mine is an '5 A4.

Mine is a 2005 A4 also.
It was done and covered under GMPP extended warranty which expires in December.

Last edited by LS WON; 10-05-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
Mine is a 2005 A4 also.
It was done and covered under GMPP extended warranty which expires in December.
If they replaced the shifter, maybe you got a newer type that doesn't require the Park requirement. Maybe my shifter was the older type? Just an idea.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

If they replaced the shifter, maybe you got a newer type that doesn't require the Park requirement. Maybe my shifter was the older type? Just an idea.

I don't know but I did put up with that nonsense for at least two years. The first attempt they did was to replace some type of unit underneath the car that looked like a typewriter cartridge but that didn't do the fix so about a year or two later I sent it back in to dealership and they replaced shifter under GMPP extended warranty.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RULEMKR
Mine started doing that a month ago and now it's getting more frequent. Off to the dealer I go...
Mine got more frequent too except it was putting it back into park which went in just fine it is the warning light that came on "shift to park"
Also got message "Recalibrating Active Handling" which comes up every so often.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 AM
LawyerJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just spent $900 fixing the problem. The prior posts about the lockout switch in the shifter assembly are true. The last time it gave out in park at a gas station. Had to have tow truck with tire dollies move it. It only gets worse. I was able to knock it a few times, but that only worked for a few months.
The assembly comes out from inside the car.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM
sjvetters
4th Gear

Default shifter stuck in park in my wife's '05

Pretty embarassing for my wife when she stopped to get gas and her '05 Vette would not start info flashed "fob not found" instead of "shift to park" like all the others posted. So when she called me I thought it was a weak battery in the fob, so I told her to put her fob in the glove box like the manual says still nothing... so I drove 20 miles to her to try my fob...nothing happened...tried everthing like everbody else did to get it out of park so as to move it out of the way, frustrated I resorted in callling for tow, waiting I sat half in on the passager side of the car and started rocking the car back and fourth and all of a sudden warning beeps went off... told my wife to try to start the car, it started and finally got it out of park and moved it before the tow came. I figured the back fourth motion moved a gear go figure...I thought these things only happened to FIAT's.....fix it again Tony...
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have recently become an expert on this issue.

I replaced a shifter on an 06 and it stuck in Park.

First - the Park interlock to brake pedal can be defeated.
the one I removed had a hole drilled in the pawl and a wire
keeping it from engaging. I was wondering why - tested the
solenoid and it was not operational.
Second - you can energize the solenoid by applying 12V to the little 2
pin connector. I used a defunct aux port charge plug and
connected to the solenoid connector. Start car - plug into
cigar lighter - move from Park -unplug cigar lighter.
Once the shifter is moved from Park it is mechanically
defeated.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimTN
It's a problem with a few 05 automatics. There have been other threads on it. The dealer had to replace the shifter on my silver 05 and it never happened again.
Had my shifter replaced after experiencing this for a few years except mine kept saying "shift to park" and it was already in park
Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by txsugar08
It has not happen to my 07 Vette but it did happen to my 07 Charger. The wifey and I were going out for dinner one evening. Get in, start it up, press the brake and tried to shift out of park and nothing. This went of for approximately 15 min without any success. I give my local dodge dealer's service manager a call on his cell phone, to find out his at Disney with his family. He takes out time to walks me through a temporary fix, which included opening the center console. To make a long story short, the safety switch that connects brake pedal and the shifter had broke. When I pressed the brake the cable would pull but the switch would not release the shifter. Why, Dodge has no clue but told me that my car was not the first one. Repaired under warranty.
I had heard that the R/T Challenger with auto stick trans with MDS were blowing off their timing chains.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Houston Z51
When you are parking your car always try to pull the handbreak completely before put it in the park.

That will help.
What is the reason for this? Less stress on transmission? Then is it the reverse process when you put it into park release parking brake first?

Quick Reply: Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?