C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 C6 engine blew - GM final Decision

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:30 PM
sweitznr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off thanks to the OP for posting this to educate the rest of us who may not yet be at the point where we've considered this type of mod.

Secondly--what is there a full moon out there or something? I've never seen such viciousness from one poster to another on any board. Take it easy guys, we're all here because we share an interest and love these cars. The lack of civility that's playing itself out in politics, business, and just about everywhere else in the world these days has no place here. I look forward to reading and contributing to this board and it's really sad to see the personal attacks here.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Interseting dream world you live in. Good luck to all those folks buying brand new C6's and modding the hell of them and let's watch all the screaming and moaning when GM/dealers start walking away from their cars.

I'm staying 100% so I won't have to try and blame GM or the dealer for my mistakes.

Tom
Do you never read anything on other car forums or car magazines? Lawsuits happen all the time when car companies try to take the rights of owners. I'm glad you are staying stock, fearful of the big bad GM taking your warranty. I however know that when a person stands in the legal right he wins.

It's not that hard, it's actually cut and dry. You just need to have a reasonable amount of money. You must have that since you took a big loss trading up from c6 to z06 in order to preserve your fragile warranty.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Richy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 C6 engine blew....

I just want to add my personal experiences.My previous Vette was a blown 02 Z06 ( 538 rwhp).At Etown after many trouble free runs,a factory idler pulley mount broke ( cast POS) .Fortunately one of my CCDV pals let me use his trailer & we towed it back 60 miles to our dealer.We dropped it off there on a Sat afternoon at 5PM just as the last employee was leaving.I left a note saying I was leaving the next day for Si Valley & would call during the week.To my surprise,when I called on Tues,the car had been fixed under the warranty.The service
rep agreed that it was a defective part.
I was not so fortunate the next time.The Exedy twin disk partially failed
& never fully completely released.At the track,as I was running out 2nd
gear I found I could not shift into 3rd.I limped backed to the pits.I had no reverse & only 2 forward gears.I managed to drive it back to the dealer praying that I wouldn't get stuck on the NJTPK.This time the
service rep said "No way" & I was stuck for a new tranny.
In my '08 C6,I vowed not to even put on a catback(satisfied with the NDD).After owning the car for a few weeks I missed hearing & feeling the blower.I called the local Callaway dealer.They do warranty the Callaway system That thrill is gone but I'm starting to dearly love the new car.

Last edited by Grumpy; 10-09-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
... I however know that when a person stands in the legal right he wins.
Naiveté at it's finest.

...It's not that hard, it's actually cut and dry. You just need to have a reasonable amount of money.
What’s a "reasonable amount of money" if one is planning on locking horns with General Motors?

...You must have that since you took a big loss trading up from c6 to z06 in order to preserve your fragile warranty.
Oh, here we go. What’s really gnawing at him in the first place. The fact that AFVETTE owns a Z06, and he doesn't.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-09-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Naiveté at it's finest.

What’s a "reasonable amount of money" if one is planning on locking horns with General Motors?

Oh, here we go. What’s really gnawing at him in the first place. The fact that AFVETTE owns a Z06, and he doesn't.
Quick Silver....Why don't you just go over to the Z06 forum and hang out over there, because you obviously "think" your better than the rest of us who just own Base c6's!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iridelow
Quick Silver....Why don't you just go over to the Z06 forum and hang out over there, because you obviously "think" your better than the rest of us who just own Base c6's!
Perhaps you "think" that. Because I certainly never said it.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by myquickZ06
I just bought an 03' that was modified, and the after market warranty does cover the drive train, because that's the way it was when I bought it.
You know that for a fact, right---it's covered under the extended service plan? It's written in the document, "car is modified, powertrain covered." Or, "modified powertrains are covered."

The reason I ask is, almost any dealer will sell me an aftermarket service plan. Dealers will also sell modified cars. Just because the two coincide and may even be sold by the same person doesn't necessarily mean the car, as modified, is covered.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Ravenwolfe13
Instructor

This has been one of the most informative threads I've read on this forum. At least for the first few pages. It's a shame so many individuals have felt the need to make personal attacks or stand in judgment. It would seem that a lot of those who posted on this thread disagree with aftermarket tunes on principle and feel vindicated that the OP's engine damage wasn't covered by the warranty.

Regardless, thanks to the OP for relating his experience. I hope everything works out for you. It's great information for the rest of us. I took delivery of my '08 coupe almost a year ago and it's still bone stock. I had been considering making some minor mods (exhaust and one or two small cosmetic changes) but after reading some of the posts on this thread I may not make any at all. Obviously experiences at different dealers vary, but it's clear that anyone making any changes to his car must accept the possibility (or probability, depending on the mod) that it may cause trouble if warranty work is ever needed. I now consider myself fully warned. I will certainly wait until my extended warranty expires before making any drivetrain changes.

As a final thought, I can't agree with those who have implied that hard driving should be avoided if one expects to maintain a healthy engine. GM designed, manufactures and markets the Corvette as a peformance car. They gave it a 6.2L 430hp V8 and claim it will hit 60mph in 4.1 seconds. Granted, if one takes one's car to a racetrack on a regular basis, one can expect higher rates of wear and tear. But a Corvette should be able to take some hard driving without falling apart.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
sweitznr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ravenwolfe13
This has been one of the most informative threads I've read on this forum. At least for the first few pages. It's a shame so many individuals have felt the need to make personal attacks or stand in judgment. It would seem that a lot of those who posted on this thread disagree with aftermarket tunes on principle and feel vindicated that the OP's engine damage wasn't covered by the warranty.

Regardless, thanks to the OP for relating his experience. I hope everything works out for you. It's great information for the rest of us. I took delivery of my '08 coupe almost a year ago and it's still bone stock. I had been considering making some minor mods (exhaust and one or two small cosmetic changes) but after reading some of the posts on this thread I may not make any at all. Obviously experiences at different dealers vary, but it's clear that anyone making any changes to his car must accept the possibility (or probability, depending on the mod) that it may cause trouble if warranty work is ever needed. I now consider myself fully warned. I will certainly wait until my extended warranty expires before making any drivetrain changes.

As a final thought, I can't agree with those who have implied that hard driving should be avoided if one expects to maintain a healthy engine. GM designed, manufactures and markets the Corvette as a peformance car. They gave it a 6.2L 430hp V8 and claim it will hit 60mph in 4.1 seconds. Granted, if one takes one's car to a racetrack on a regular basis, one can expect higher rates of wear and tear. But a Corvette should be able to take some hard driving without falling apart.

Well said.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Do you never read anything on other car forums or car magazines? Lawsuits happen all the time when car companies try to take the rights of owners. I'm glad you are staying stock, fearful of the big bad GM taking your warranty. I however know that when a person stands in the legal right he wins.

It's not that hard, it's actually cut and dry. You just need to have a reasonable amount of money. You must have that since you took a big loss trading up from c6 to z06 in order to preserve your fragile warranty.
You're kidding, right?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jschindler
You're kidding, right?

Somehow I doubt it.

Being familiar with some of the ideas seen in his prior posts, I believe him to be as serious as a heart attack.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 442 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
When you get right down to where the cheese binds it doesn't matter if a tune actually contributed to the damage. GM has told us if we tune,the powertrain warranty is null & void. It's their car until we buy it and they have every right to stipulate the rules of the game.

Hell,if they came out & said carrying more than 2 loaves of bread in the car voided the powertrain warranty guess what?? I'd be a one loaf totin' SOB.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by myquickZ06
I just bought an 03' that was modified, and the after market warranty does cover the drive train, because that's the way it was when I bought it.
I hope it was an aftermarket insurance type of extnded warranty that your car is "covered" under. It is wishfull thinking at best to think GMPP will cover a modified car because you purchased it that way If the dealer told you it was covered, then I hope you got it in writing because half the time they don't know what really happens when something like an engine failure smacks them in the face. This thread is a perfect example of that fact. The dealer said it would be covered, but most of us knew the unfortunate truth
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Naiveté at it's finest.

Oh quick you never change. Its just impossible that someone is happy with their c6 and doesnt crave a z06 to you isnt it? Well believe it or not I dont want a z06 and could have easily bought one used or new since the values are so low used. A used 06 is the same price or less as a new c6 even in late 08 when i bought. There goes your argument but I know you will never let it go.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
You're kidding, right?
No, do some research on recent litigation.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 PM
The Popo
Instructor

"WhoCanISue.com".
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The Popo
"WhoCanISue.com".
Believe it or not, there really is such a site.

What is this country coming to, when we prefer to "lawyer up" as opposed to "manning up" when things go wrong following our actions?

http://whocanisue.com/

You may have been joking, but the fact that such a site even exist, makes me admire even more, the original poster's decision to cover his own repairs, following the mishap which occured while his car was running a nonstock calibration.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-09-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 07 C6 engine blew - GM final Decision

Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Believe it or not, there really is such a site.

What is this country coming to, when we prefer to "lawyer up" as opposed to "manning up" when things go wrong following our actions?

http://whocanisue.com/

You may have been joking, but the fact that such a site even exists, makes me admire the original poster's decision to cover his own repairs, following the mishap which occured while his car was running a nonstock calibration, even more.
Lawyering up is so much easier then manning up!

It is just another fine example of the Pu$$yfication of America. Nobody takes personal responsibility for anything anymore. It starts with bad parenting and every kid needing to get a trophy in Little League, even if they suck all the way up to having a big "e" d!ck on the internet and threatening to sue everyone.

Since the OP was local to me, I wish there was something I could do other then give him a good deal on a crate motor. I talked with the shop that is doing the work today and they should have him back in the saddle in a week or 2.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Lawyering up is so much easier then manning up!

It is just another fine example of the Pu$$yfication of America. Nobody takes personal responsibility for anything anymore. It starts with bad parenting and every kid needing to get a trophy in Little League, even if they suck all the way up to having a big "e" d!ck on the internet and threatening to sue everyone. Since the OP was local to me, I wish there was something I could do other then give him a good deal on a crate motor. I talked with the shop that is doing the work today and they should have him back in the saddle in a week or 2.
Thats good to hear. Best news of the thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sweitznr
First off thanks to the OP for posting this to educate the rest of us who may not yet be at the point where we've considered this type of mod.

Secondly--what is there a full moon out there or something? I've never seen such viciousness from one poster to another on any board. Take it easy guys, we're all here because we share an interest and love these cars. The lack of civility that's playing itself out in politics, business, and just about everywhere else in the world these days has no place here. I look forward to reading and contributing to this board and it's really sad to see the personal attacks here.
I know you've only been a member for a few months but have you only been reading the kumbaya forum?
If you think this thread is personal and vicious take a trip thru the archives some time. This thread is tame.

IDSRVIT's dealers attitude and warranty refusal examples are almost unbelievable. No wonder he had last years cars still on his lot, who would want to buy from him with an attitude like that. I would have stopped the sale and went down the road. I wouldn't even buy parts from them.

I get a kick out of all the keep it 100% stock or die members. Keep in mind that if it was not for mods, both performance and esthetic, this forum would not even exist. There wouldn't be enough members and advertising to make it go.

Quick Reply: 07 C6 engine blew - GM final Decision