C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

I did try sea foam and that other stuff that GM sells. Did not help. Today, after 20000 miles it is a little better and does not ping as much. Also, I changed my driving habits. I beat on the car more. I think that probably has more to do with it pinging less. the computer relearned the driving habits. Hope this helps you in diagnosing your pinging.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
First off, I do not have this problem and never have. However, I find this an amazing admission on Tom Hill's part as I have heard of a number of folks with this issue. I find it hard to believe there isn't a TSB at the least that would call for a change to the ECM to correct it, especially since this could easily become a warranty issue.
My car does it too, dealers say that it is normal. I run only premium gas (91 or higher) at all times.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by loflite
I did try sea foam and that other stuff that GM sells. Did not help. Today, after 20000 miles it is a little better and does not ping as much. Also, I changed my driving habits. I beat on the car more. I think that probably has more to do with it pinging less. the computer relearned the driving habits. Hope this helps you in diagnosing your pinging.
Yes, try running it at much higher revs for most of your drive, even if you must burn more gas. Are you loading the engine at low revs?

I was also thinking of carbon build up but you said it pinged from day one. grrrrr

M6 or A6?

Last edited by 06 C6 vert; 10-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I was told that these engines detonate like crazy from the factory. One reason why I had it tuned from the get go.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 PM
The BreeZe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2001 Coupe M6 that would ping on heavy acceleration on straight premium gas. I always added an octane booster with each fill up. Didn't have the ping with the octane booster.

As far as I'm concerned, it had nothing to do with the engine tune. The recommended octane of 93 is the MINIMUM RECOMMENDED OCTANE!! You think you're getting full 93 octane rating at the pump?

Had the car for 8-years, and whenever I "got on it" if I didn't have octane booster it pinged.

Same issue in my new Z06, although harder to hear the ping wiht the bi-mode exhaust howling.

Booster won't hurt your engine, just a few more bucks per fill-up

The BreeZe
Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
My car does it too, dealers say that it is normal. I run only premium gas (91 or higher) at all times.
Mine too, and since day one. I've tried nearly everything - multiple full tanks of 100 octane unleaded (it's available around here), new plugs, new wires. It hasn't thrown any codes, doesn't consume oil and has otherwise run perfectly for 60K miles.

The pinging clears up past about 4K RPM. The computer is clearly okay with it. I might try changing the knock sensors.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The BreeZe
I had a 2001 Coupe M6 that would ping on heavy acceleration on straight premium gas. I always added an octane booster with each fill up. Didn't have the ping with the octane booster.

As far as I'm concerned, it had nothing to do with the engine tune. The recommended octane of 93 is the MINIMUM RECOMMENDED OCTANE!! You think you're getting full 93 octane rating at the pump?

Had the car for 8-years, and whenever I "got on it" if I didn't have octane booster it pinged.

Same issue in my new Z06, although harder to hear the ping wiht the bi-mode exhaust howling.

Booster won't hurt your engine, just a few more bucks per fill-up

The BreeZe
The real point is you shouldn't have to add octane booster. I fill my 05 (14,000 mi.) up with 91 or 92 all the time and 93 if I can find it. I have also filled it up with 89 regular unleaded when I have to and I have NEVER had my LS2 ping. My engine is completely stock. Assuming the OP is telling us the truth, it has to be something off with the engine.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had ls1 camaro that just started doing it one day and everything in the car checked out fine (and I checked pretty much anything you can think of), the only thing that fixed it was a tune. some LSx motors apparently just do it.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy272
If you bought the car new and it has been doing it since you've bought it I would have the cylinders bore scoped to make sure there is no internal damage to the pistons and if there is have them fix it while it is still under warranty.

Mark
Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by torquetube
Mine too, and since day one. I've tried nearly everything - multiple full tanks of 100 octane unleaded (it's available around here), new plugs, new wires. It hasn't thrown any codes, doesn't consume oil and has otherwise run perfectly for 60K miles.

The pinging clears up past about 4K RPM. The computer is clearly okay with it. I might try changing the knock sensors.
I think that this is a characteristic of LSx engines, my '01 Trans Am got the same problem shortly after buying. I am glad to see that I am not alone with this problem.

And I don't know if this is of any relevance, but both engines burned a little bit of oil (top ups required between oil changes).
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

My 2001 C5 LS1 M6 used to ping under had acceleration even with premium gas and octane boost. You could only get 91 octane at the pumps in CA. Now my 08 LS3 with A6 never pings. I use Shell 93 octane here in AR. I wonder if it is the tune in the earlier cars putting to much advance in at too low of RPM? You would still think that the knock sensor would sense the pinging and pull the advance to stop it if it was a timing issue..... Maybe get a tuner if nothing else to put his laptop on it while you drive it and make it ping so he can see if the knock sensor is telling the computer to pull timing.

Mark
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I was told that these engines detonate like crazy from the factory. One reason why I had it tuned from the get go.

Mine pinged from day one as well. Only 91 octane available here in California. My tuner said that virtually all of the C6's he had tuned pinged. After the tune, no more pinging. Just another reason why I had my car tuned, not to mention the fun factor.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
knkali
Melting Slicks

tune and colder spark plug range and problem is gone but so could be your warranty. Please no comments on the warranty thing
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I think that this is a characteristic of LSx engines, my '01 Trans Am got the same problem shortly after buying. I am glad to see that I am not alone with this problem.

And I don't know if this is of any relevance, but both engines burned a little bit of oil (top ups required between oil changes).
I feel your pain.
The 2001 LS engines had a new "Improved" ring design that caused higher oil consumption and was replaced for 2002. GM had a ring kit available to replace just one ring one each piston, some cars were fixed under warranty and that greatly reduced the problem.

My 2001 A4 usually burned about 1 qt/3k miles, my 2006 A6 was 1 qt/23k miles, 2009 A6 looks like about 1 qt/15k miles but too early to be sure.

No pinging on any of them.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I feel your pain.
The 2001 LS engines had a new "Improved" ring design that caused higher oil consumption and was replaced for 2002. GM had a ring kit available to replace just one ring one each piston, some cars were fixed under warranty and that greatly reduced the problem.

My 2001 A4 usually burned about 1 qt/3k miles, my 2006 A6 was 1 qt/23k miles, 2009 A6 looks like about 1 qt/15k miles but too early to be sure.

No pinging on any of them.
I just have to remind myself to keep adding oil every now and then. My last oil change was 10k miles ago and I've added a quart.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

All lsx engines PING some... It is part of how the ecm knows what the engine is doing. Pinging means you are running lean and the timing is advanced for max efficiency. Pinging is not the same as detonation...Tuning will make the engine ping worse because they get the extra power by advancing the timing. imo...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mine got fixed by a tune because we took some timing out.

Get notified of new replies

To Pinging when accelerating

Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Max EPR
Racer

Don't just ignore it as I did and then busted a crank on a Pontiac. It's a serious timing problem. I don't understand how the Corvette adjusts it's timing but it's either stick too far advanced or the static time is too far advanced.

A momentary ping is normal but constant pinging or rattle is not.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 PM
FGO
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tinging noise in the back

Originally Posted by unikguy
Hi everyone

I have a 2006 z51 6 speed. When I accelerate heavy, the car pings alot. It sounds like a pin-ball machine. I have had this issue since the beginning and dealer has been useless. The only thing the dealer is not useless is when you perform PAYING service work. Otherwise warranty work, they are useless.

It is very annoying. Anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you
I have a 2006 Z51 to and the noise drove me crazy. I found it by accident when changing the interior lighting to LED. It's the rear cargo lights. Pull them out and shake them and see (like I did) if it's the same sound. It's the heat shield - just use aluminum tape and tape the shield to the fixtrue so it can't move.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by FGO
I have a 2006 Z51 to and the noise drove me crazy. I found it by accident when changing the interior lighting to LED. It's the rear cargo lights. Pull them out and shake them and see (like I did) if it's the same sound. It's the heat shield - just use aluminum tape and tape the shield to the fixtrue so it can't move.
This is a 9-year old thread and the OP hasn't been on the forum in 3 years. I doubt if your post is really going to help him very much.

Quick Reply: Pinging when accelerating