C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POS Stealerships

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:20 PM
2002fb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the need to reply as a former technician. Yes you can get bad techs/ service at any dealership. I have a garage and a lift and I bring my car in for service at a local Chevy dealer. There is one certified GM world technician there and he is the only one who works on my car. The service department has always been excellent and treated me and my Vette with respect. It can be a crap shoot but there are many quality dealers and technicians out there.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:45 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Run around!

Originally Posted by maxp
same here @ Classic Chevy Sugar Land TX
Classic Chevy in Grapevine, TX, is no angel. They will give you the run around.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:56 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Champion Chevrolet in Austin, TX isn't what I would refer to as an honest or reputable dealer, either. And don't get any body work done there even if it's under warranty. They do the minimum required (with many, many flaws in paint and body work) and say that it's fine after hitting your front fascia with a sander and saying, "...it looks fine to me. Looks like we did everything we were obligated to do."
Old 11-28-2009, 11:58 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The joys of a small town dealer: you stand next to the tech and help if you want to.......
Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by K9KUZ
The joys of a small town dealer: you stand next to the tech and help if you want to.......
It's pretty bad in the bigger towns (or anywhere fo that matter) where you can stand next to the tech (if that's even a correct term for most I've encountered) and be able to tell them more about the car.... and that's just from reading this forum
Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

It sucks because it isnt that bad but it looks like he drag somthing around on the fender.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

At Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston, the service advisor walks around your car with you checking for any damage when you bring you car in for service. They note such, and you sign it. When you pick up your cars, there is no question if there is any damage.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by achilds
I have to say and I am not defending the dealership, but the oil is drained from the bottom and then filled from the top.
Careful this is where they get in trouble with the Z06. Many storys of the idiots prying off the seal on the left valve cover to try and get the oil back in the car. So even an oil change is hard for them if they don't know the car and follow the directions in the maint manual.

I just took my Z06 in for a burned up fan connector. Tech told me my APR (after market) splitter was blocking 80% of the air to the radiator because most of the air comes from below the frontend and is routed up to the radiator.

Problem is ..... the Z06 doesn't get ANY air from the bottom.

Last edited by teking; 11-29-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Until I got a lift, I always took the car to the dealer for oil changes. They always treated the car like they owned it. Never an issue.

Just like anything else in life, dealers are owned by people and the ones that are in it for the long run know how to treat customers and their cars.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:28 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 572 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Ishams00vette
At my job we do I would say 400 oil changes a week. We probably mess up a few a week.
wow, at 5 days, 8 hours a day that's an oil change every 6 minutes. i'll bet you "mess up" a "few" a week.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus
Champion Chevrolet in Austin, TX isn't what I would refer to as an honest or reputable dealer, either. And don't get any body work done there even if it's under warranty. They do the minimum required (with many, many flaws in paint and body work) and say that it's fine after hitting your front fascia with a sander and saying, "...it looks fine to me. Looks like we did everything we were obligated to do."
that's funny. i can remember years ago i had a trim piece replaced and they put it on unevenly - and it was obvious. when i showed the body shop manager he said: "not a problem, you'll get used to it". needless to say they never had the chance to "get used to seeing me again".
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 AM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Tom/99
At Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston, the service advisor walks around your car with you checking for any damage when you bring you car in for service. They note such, and you sign it. When you pick up your cars, there is no question if there is any damage.
That's the way it should be.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
that's funny. i can remember years ago i had a trim piece replaced and they put it on unevenly - and it was obvious. when i showed the body shop manager he said: "not a problem, you'll get used to it". needless to say they never had the chance to "get used to seeing me again".
How long ago was this and are you talking about the same dealership or one in FL?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 AM
RareSS9596
Pro

I've had a few bad experiences at stealerships. I had my wife bring my black SS Silverado in for an oil change (I was too busy at work to do it myself). She tells me they washed it for me, WTF? I took one look at it and went ballistic. They must have scraped the passenger side up against some bushes and tried to compound the scratches out. Totally messd up the whole truck when they wiped it down with som rough towels. They admitted to it and told me they were going to wet sand the truck. I was so pissed I traded it in. Another time I went to the dealer with my daily driver TBSS. This time I waited for it. I noticed the tech bringing back a quart of Mobil 1 to the parts counter and didn't think anything of it. I always check the oil levels after an oil change and It was fine. Then when I get home I look at the bill. They charged me for 7 quarts of oil when it takes 6! No wonder the bill came to $95! And they kept the extra quart to boot, lol. Needless to say I stock my own oil filters and have a tremendous supply of Mobil 1 always on hand and swear to never bring any of my vehicles to the dealer for an oil change again.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus
How long ago was this and are you talking about the same dealership or one in FL?
actually it was a Caddy dealer in Ohio - in 1977. :o now you know how old i am.

you know, this business of doing a "walk around" is fine - they do it here at my Caddy dealership when i HAVE to go in. the issue is that the damage STILL gets installed on the car. you just eliminate the question of who did it. that in itself doesn't stop the carnage. sad.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 11-29-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 AM
07 Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by Bkbulldog
I was going to pop the hood and check everything and noticed the fender next to the hood is all scuffed up. So I hop in my car and drove back and went and got the mechanic and showed him.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Someone gave good advice above - do a walk around before you leave the dealership. I'll add to it - if you are truly concerned, do a walk around of the car with the service manager before you hand over the keys and document the condition in writing (kind of like when you are taking a rental car off the lot), that way you can each verify the status of the car before they have the opportunity to do damage and then blame it on you.

With regard to the current status of things, I do not know where you live but if you are local to me (I am in NJ), bring your car over and I will fix it if in fact the scratching can be buffed out.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 AM
hot1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I have not had a bad experience from the dealer I use, BUT I always insist the service writer do a walk around prior to leaving the car and I do a complete walk around prior to leaving the dealership.
I hope all turns out ok with the buffing.

Get notified of new replies

To POS Stealerships

Old 11-29-2009, 10:05 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Always do a good walk around before you leave ANY dealership.

Quote above is from my first post. Any vehicle we bring to any shop is always looked at close, both under the hood and body wise. C5/6 Vettes are also looked at underneath if the vehicle had to be lifted! I do a walk around at the dealership before I drop off car!

Actually the last 2 dealerships I used are very good, but old habits die hard. The one I now have & probably made my last visit to because the sperm breaths in Washington put out of business was very good.

They were a Caddy Chev and a couple years ago also an Olds shop and had very good/careful mechanics. I will always tip a good careful mechanic.

For warranty work I will now be going to a Chev shop about 30 miles away, but they have a good rep with a local Vette club. I know a lot of the drivers and if they say it’s good, it’s good!

Last edited by 6spdC6; 11-29-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teking
Careful this is where they get in trouble with the Z06. Many storys of the idiots prying off the seal on the left valve cover to try and get the oil back in the car. So even an oil change is hard for them if they don't know the car and follow the directions in the maint manual.

I just took my Z06 in for a burned up fan connector. Tech told me my APR (after market) splitter was blocking 80% of the air to the radiator because most of the air comes from below the frontend and is routed up to the radiator.

Problem is ..... the Z06 doesn't get ANY air from the bottom.
Yes I own a Z06 and I know where the fill port is. The newer vettes have the dry sump now as well. Big cap with with big letters that say Engine Oil. Also on the Z (and I assume the C6's with dry sumps) you would actually have to remove the vanity covers on the engine to see the dummy cap on the valve covers. My point was the tech has no need to lean on the fender to fill the oil regardless of the system unless he is damn short.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Bkbulldog
Racer

Could I buff it myself having no experience in it?

Quick Reply: POS Stealerships