C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Diamond
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Gimme your keys, I will show you........
Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SIr RicCuS
Depends what gear you're in. Personally, I like 2nd gear burnouts that require a little more RPM's prior to dumping the clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm_mEu1cloU

Nice burnout!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diamond
Gimme your keys, I will show you........
Hands down the best comment so far
Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NYC6
Let me see if I have this straight. You had a 69, an 01, a 03, a 05 and an 08 Z06 yet you dont know how to do a burnout? Serious?
That's right. Ive raced from a standstill and a rolling start before (not on a track), but I've never tried to do a burnout to heat up my tires. I guess it would be safer to just burn rubber for a few feet, then back up. These cars are not cheap to fix, so I don't want to break anything. I still have my '03 auto with factory installed LS6, and all the fixins to go with it, and my '08 Z06. I love taking turns driving both cars because they're so different. I was just wondering how it's done. I've been watching PASS TIME on the Speed channel, and seeing the drivers doing the burnouts without the car moving foward. :o
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I just found it a little odd a guy with that much HP in his past asked that question. Thats one of the first things I had to learn as soon as I could drive, a long time ago! Didnt mean to come across that way.
The easiest way is spin up the tach, dump the clutch and very quickly use your clutch foot and apply the brakes holding pressure. The front brakes will hold fast and the rears will be overpowered by the HP and spin. After they're warm enough or the smoke show is good enough to pass your personal test release the brake keeping throttle down for a nice smokey posi track down the road. It doesnt take to much throttle to put on a nice display with that much hp. Find a quiet parking lot and within a couple tries you'll look like John Force!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Max EPR
Racer

Jay Leno would say something about the immaturity factor here.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by myquickZ06
I still have my '03 auto with factory installed LS6, and all the fixins to go with it,
I didnt know it was possible to get an LS6 with an auto.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

its amazing some of the responces from this forum. (not really 1/2 of you guys never drive in the rain! haha)

The guy asked a question and 1/2 of the posters are either giving him hell for asking it (which I do agree with the cars owend in his past is strange), or they think its the worst idea ever to spin a tire.

If you think a corvette is something handed from god to never be played in, go sell it to someone who likes cars for how they drive and perform! Not becasue they have a small dick, or like how they look with the ladies.

its a damn GM, with nothing more that!! just better engineering and parts compared to the cars of our pasts.

spin a tire, down shift once in a while, cut a damn dough nut, take a corner, go through a drive through, take it on a road trip, SOMETHING its a CAR, nice car and fun, but its still "JUST A CAR".

with that out of my system, personally if you are going to do a burn out, and its not for the track on some DR or slicks, then why use the brake? turn the wheels!!!

mine before the black wheels, had to get ride of the old tires some how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMrxtOcBug

a ****ing burn out is not going to hurt anything. 99% of the time, just normal tires and normal road. your ZO6 will be FINE
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiacZO6
its amazing some of the responces from this forum. (not really 1/2 of you guys never drive in the rain! haha)

a ****ing burn out is not going to hurt anything. 99% of the time, just normal tires and normal road. your ZO6 will be FINE
Go back and read the posts about wrecked cars. The C6 has a bad wheel hop problem which can grenade the diff. It was a legitimate question with plenty of good responses but there is no good reason to do a burnout unless you're heating race tires at the dragstrip. It's juvenile.

Last edited by goatts; 12-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts

...there is no good reason to do a burnout unless you're heating race tires at the dragstrip. It's juvenile...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

FUN........thats not a reason?

pretty sure when lookng at sports cars, fun is a factor, and a dough nut is fun, a random burn out is fun. taking a turn and felling the G's the car can hold is, fun, the acceleration is fun.

the wheel hop problem can and will pop the rear diff, but he does not have an 05, and its a Zo6 which is a little better too. on street tires, on a normal road, not a track preped or something, its not going to break. IF it did start hopping and you did not let out i see how you could break it, but the wheel hope feeling is more than enought to scar someone into letting off the gas.

Last edited by mittens; 12-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiacZO6
FUN........thats not a reason?
pretty sure when lookng at sports cars, fun is a factor, and a dough nut is fun, a random burn out is fun. taking a turn and felling the G's the car can hold is, fun, the acceleration is fun.
Sure, but when guys ask questions here and I don't know their background, I'm careful what advice I give. I don't want someone going out and wrecking their vette. As for burnouts, there was a dragster doing burnouts about a year ago in front of a crowd, lost control and killed about 6 people.

Last edited by goatts; 12-10-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
Sure, but when guys ask questions here and I don't know their background, I'm careful what advice I give. I don't want someone going out and wrecking their vette. As for burnouts, there was a dragster doing burnouts about a year ago in front of a crowd, lost control and killed about 6 people.

Not to flame you.. but just to show how stories can change... it was NOT a DRAGSTER.. it was a "Pro Mod" (CAR) doing an exhibition in a town & it was authorized by the police dept.

There were barriers to keep the crowed back but many pushed in front of them..

Yes the driver did lose control.. ( I think he was from Australia) and has stopped Drag Racing since that happened..

Here is a small burnout with my C4

Last edited by jpee; 12-10-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

I thank some of you guys for understanding what I was asking. Just because I don't know how to do a propper burnout, dosen't mean I don't drive the cars the way they were designed for. We sometimes go on runs with as many as 60 Corvette's or as few as 4 cars, and we will take runs where ever we can find the curviest roads at the highest speeds that are safe. We have had the highway patrol close off those roads for us for a few hours. Depending on the location, it's pretty easy to do that.
Here's some pics of my cars. I still have the '08 and the '03. By the way, I purchased the '03 four months ago with 8k miles, from the Chevy dealer that ordered it new from the factory with the LS6.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Burnout