C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning Navigation and Clock "ON"

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Joopman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Turning Navigation and Clock "ON"

I just upgraded from my 2005 C-6 to a 2007 Z-06. Both have navigation systems. Never had any problems with the 2005.

On my 2007, the navigation system shows it to be "OFF". I set the region but the current location is approximately 60 miles off. The "GPS" icon on the screen has a slash through it. There is an indicator showing the navigation is "OFF at the top-left of the screen.

Also, the box in the upper-right corner is blank. No clock display. I have held the digital clock display button in until it went to the clock set-up screen. The set-up clock display box on this screen is also blank. None of the buttons make the clock display on the set-up screen or the main screen.

Uhhhh . . . help.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Joopman
I just upgraded from my 2005 C-6 to a 2007 Z-06. Both have navigation systems. Never had any problems with the 2005.

On my 2007, the navigation system shows it to be "OFF". I set the region but the current location is approximately 60 miles off. The "GPS" icon on the screen has a slash through it. There is an indicator showing the navigation is "OFF at the top-left of the screen.

Also, the box in the upper-right corner is blank. No clock display. I have held the digital clock display button in until it went to the clock set-up screen. The set-up clock display box on this screen is also blank. None of the buttons make the clock display on the set-up screen or the main screen.

Uhhhh . . . help.
A couple of different points. First the word "OFF" is indicating that the radio is off, not the navigation system. Does your radio work? The slash through the GPS is your indication that the GPS is not receiving a satelite signal and that is also the cause your current location being off. You can correct the GPS "position" by recalibrating the GPS. There is a procedure for this in the navigation owners manual but if you didn't get one, here it is:

From the Main Menu, touch the Navigation Setup Menu, press the Calibration button.

The Calibration screen, allows the adjustment of your
vehicle’s position or the vehicle speed signal.
To correct the position of your vehicle on the map
(for example, if your vehicle has been shipped) or to
change to the current position.
1. Select the Position/Direction screen button.
The map screen will display with your vehicle’s
current position.
2. To change your vehicle’s position, touch the map
screen.
Use the zoom in/out function to view the direction of
the desired area.
Pressing/holding and dragging on the map will
activate fast scrolling. Press/touch once on the area
to which you would like to move the current
position mark.
3. Touch the OK screen button once your vehicle is in
the current position.
If a route had already been set, the map screen will
display, select Guide to change your route to your
vehicle’s new position.
Once the process of changing your vehicle’s current
position is complete, the map screen will display with
rotate arrow screen buttons around your vehicle.
4. To change the direction of your vehicle, press either
arrow screen button to rotate your vehicle to the
correct direction.
5. Once your vehicle is facing the correct direction,
select the OK screen button.
See Problems with Route Guidance on page 2-62 for more information.

If your car is not receiving a GPS signal (the slash throught the GPS indicates this, this is the problem and this problem will come back however.).

It is not uncommon for a car that has been transported to have this issue. Is the car in an area where the GPS antenna can get a clear view to the sky? If you are in a garage for example, with the position off the GPS signal will not reaquire the GPS satellites.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Joopman
Instructor

I followed your instructions . . . THANKS.

The navigation system works. Well, it still has the slash through the GPS icon, but it still allows me to start traveling to a specific location. The clock still does not show in the display window or on the clock setting page or on the main navigation page. The box is there, but it is empty.

Again, the navigation appears to work, but something is still wrong.

I was thinking that it might need more time to track more satellites, but I stayed with it for almost 30 minutes and the slash never disappeared.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
CrabbyDaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the GPS antenna is not connected. That will result in the slash through the icon and the clock not being able to sync (and display).
Old 12-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Joopman
Instructor

Originally Posted by CrabbyDaddy
Sounds like the GPS antenna is not connected. That will result in the slash through the icon and the clock not being able to sync (and display).
As I mentioned, the GPS seems to work. I have not gone on a long trip, but testing it around town shows it is tracking OK, but still the clock is not working and the GPS icon is still slashed through.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

As I mentioned, the GPS seems to work. I have not gone on a long trip, but testing it around town shows it is tracking OK, but still the clock is not working and the GPS icon is still slashed through.
The GPS is probably not working. The car will use the vehicle speed sensors and compass to figure out where you are and to keep you on track. It will use the GPS to (pretty regularly) update that position. Drive through a long tunnel (or parking garage) and you'll notice it still keeps track of where you are even with no satellite signal.

If you have the slash, it doesn't have a signal.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CrabbyDaddy

Just hook it up...I had the same problem from the previous owner who returned the factory system when he sold the car.

Red Cell.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I would agree with what you have been told to this point. Unlike portable navigation systems, the factory navigation unit is tied in to several vehicle systems and has the ability to navigate using a dead reckoning capability. It uses input from the steering wheel position sensor and vehicle speed sensor to follow the map. If you still have a slash through the "GPS" icon, you are not getting an antenna signal to the head unit or a satellite signal to the antenna. If you have re-calibrated and have been outdoors in line of sight to a satellite for 30 plus minutes, it is likely at the antenna. It could be as simple as a connection at the back of the head unit that simply needs to be plugged back in. The slash simply means that it isn't receiving satellite data.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 AM
msklein
Heel & Toe

I am having the same issue with the GPS slash and the time not being set. Mine is total factory setup and checked the connections to the XM satellite receiver in the trunk as well. I am going to have the deal diagnose this issue and will post the results.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:25 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery and reseating the nav disc.
Clif
Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Read: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...isconnect.html
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 PM
JJ2007
7th Gear

Default My clock wont work either

My battery went dead. Everything EXCEPT THE CLOCK reset. Clock time buttons wont work and the time block is blank.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Long road
3rd Gear

Default 2007 clock failure

Uhhhh . . . help.
My 2007 clock only not working either after changing the battery
Canadian Dealer (Ontario) last week has told me Chev engineers are aware and working on a software update.
Update when ready is free but dealer is charging shop time.

Also told there is no update dvd navigation, anyone know where to get an update?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:55 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Long road
Also told there is no update dvd navigation, anyone know where to get an update?
https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/en_US/GMNA/USD <<<<< This is where you used to source the NAV discs and the last update was in 2016. By the look of things they are discontinued and no longer available from GM-NAV. Your best bet is Amazon or fleabay. I purchased the 2016 update when it was still available in 2017 and regret the $175 that I spent for it after finding out that I could have bought a pirated copy from Amazon or eBay for a small fraction of the cost. Even the last version dated 2016 is already hopelessly outdated as I found out while trying to use it yesterday as the street and address I was trying to find didn't exist at the time of the release. I ended up using Google Maps on my phone and had no problem with the address that didn't exist on my NAV disc.

Last edited by Icecap; 07-31-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:50 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

The last Navigation DVD update is version 10 (2016) and they are available for $12 all over ebay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302723751161

Last edited by Iceaxe; 07-31-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 AM
maaxx
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Same thing happened to me...i tought i was alone.

Read this....i did.....not about to be solved i believe: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...isconnect.html

Originally Posted by JJ2007
My battery went dead. Everything EXCEPT THE CLOCK reset. Clock time buttons wont work and the time block is blank.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:22 PM
BigBadZ
5th Gear

I just replaced my battery in my 09 Z06 and I have the same clock symptoms now. Has anyone discovered what the fix is for this issue? I apologize if its buried in this long thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Turning Navigation and Clock "ON"

Old 12-01-2019, 06:43 PM
ImpartialOne
1st Gear

I have a 2008 C6 with factory navigation. My battery died and when I replaced it my CLOCK disappeared from the radio face display. You can still go into the settings menu but the clock adjustments are dead. The battery dealer told me that you have to plug a MEMORY SAVER into the OBD port prior to removing the old battery to avoid this issue. I wish I would have known.

Has anyone used a memory saver and successfully saved the clock after replacing the battery?

The Dealer is aware of this issue but so far doesn't have a fix or a recall.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ImpartialOne
I have a 2008 C6 with factory navigation. My battery died and when I replaced it my CLOCK disappeared from the radio face display. You can still go into the settings menu but the clock adjustments are dead. The battery dealer told me that you have to plug a MEMORY SAVER into the OBD port prior to removing the old battery to avoid this issue. I wish I would have known.

Has anyone used a memory saver and successfully saved the clock after replacing the battery?

The Dealer is aware of this issue but so far doesn't have a fix or a recall.
Have you tried looking at the stickies at the top of the first page of forum thread titles listing? Not about MEMORY SAVER.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-nav-fix.html

Last edited by Vette_DD; 12-01-2019 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ImpartialOne (02-10-2020)
Old 12-02-2019, 04:31 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

[QUOTE=BigBadZ;1599883169]I just replaced my battery in my 09 Z06 and I have the same clock symptoms now. Has anyone discovered what the fix is for this issue? I apologize if its buried in this long thread.[/QUOTE

This issue has been addressed. Click on the url below to get the firmware update.

Tom

https://tis2web.akamai.gm.com/radio/..._05_10_fix.zip

UNZIP THE FILE BEFORE you Burn the LOADING.KWI to a BLANK CD-R. Once this is completely burned and finished, go to your Corvette

#1 Make sure the vehicle is outside and the engine is running.

#2 On the radio display, press the Open/Close Faceplate Key

#3 Eject the map disc by pressing DVD Map Database Eject Key. Insert the Software Update Disc in the DVD Map Database Slot

The update will start automatically. You will see a progress bar on the screen. The update takes about 2 minutes. The vehicle logo will be seen once the update is completed.

Once you see the Corvette logo, remove the update disc and REINSTALL YOUR MAP DISC!

THIS IS NOT A MAP UPDATE< THIS IS ONLY FOR YOUR CLOCK BEING BLANK!
The following 2 users liked this post by TCW:
ImpartialOne (02-10-2020), JLN81vette (02-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Turning Navigation and Clock "ON"