C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
DBR9 KLR
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Many if not all dealers are not the actual ones painting the top. I ronically what you may not know is they contract with local body shops to do that. Your car is never taken to these shops so these guys paint blindly. Although they have the color code, they can not color "match" if there is a slight imperfection. Hence your problem.

We did the work ourselves at our body shop. Cleaned the roof panel and re-glued with some very strong 3M adhesive. I will post pics of the whole thing soon.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Car at dealer now.

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
I have had the clip replaced a year or so ago and two steering sensors, have been replaced. And now, I get the "service active handling" message again, had it about a year ago the last time. I don't know about you, this is getting old and "scary", at least I haven't had a lock up, probably talked too much now!
Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Like you, I find this whole thing very scary and the potential for damage to life and limb very high. I really wonder how many Corvette crashes in the last 5 years can be attributed to this when it could have looked like just a simple loss of control. It feels like GM is worse than Toyota in their response to this.

I've been lucky so far in that I haven't had this message show up so far and they did replace the clip.
I dropped off car at dealer this morning and later talked to service director and write up advisor, they had me take advisor for ride, he advised director about an additional drumming problem in the rear end. Also talked about the active handling problem which they are also looking into, at this point, all of the service bullitins have been previously completed.

I'll post what the results are, waiting for their return call, hopefully today.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 PM
iowaraider
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DBR9 KLR
Many if not all dealers are not the actual ones painting the top. I ronically what you may not know is they contract with local body shops to do that. Your car is never taken to these shops so these guys paint blindly. Although they have the color code, they can not color "match" if there is a slight imperfection. Hence your problem.

We did the work ourselves at our body shop. Cleaned the roof panel and re-glued with some very strong 3M adhesive. I will post pics of the whole thing soon.
Mine has a related body shop and they took the paint code then the body shop asked for the roof so they could match. Looks great to me...just hope it doesn't fade differently.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 AM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by sscamaro
I took my C6 back to the dealer today for the third time for the problem with the Active Handling. Shows it is a problem with the Yaw sensor, but then it's OK. They are keeping for a few days to see if they determine really what the problem is. It's getting a little frustrating now.
Update:

Talked to dealer service manager yesterday. They replaced the Yaw Sensor. They are going to see if that does the trick. If not, then they are going to replace the wiring. We'll see what hapens.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

I have had the clip replaced a year or so ago and two steering sensors, have been replaced. And now, I get the "service active handling" message again, had it about a year ago the last time. I don't know about you, this is getting old and "scary", at least I haven't had a lock up, probably talked too much now!
Just curious. When you first brought your car in to have the clip installed, had you already gotten the "service active handling" message?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:13 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default History on AH problem.

Originally Posted by scrannel
Just curious. When you first brought your car in to have the clip installed, had you already gotten the "service active handling" message?
In October 2007 my car was in for differential problem and when they checked codes they found codes for steering sensor and replaced and also replaced connector with part obtained locally - NO message was received. I have received active handling message I believe now, 3 times. Since every time they found something wrong they replaced a part and a duplicate message one other time which service manager and I jumped on, that was when clip was added in June 2009. I'm going to pickup car now and find out what AH problem was, sorry, but had good discussion about rear end drumming noise I was also having and they weren't able to resolve, I had other rear end issuses that could mask noise source. They were looking at wheel bearings, cv joints, differential, etc. (Used stethoscope and chassis ear on rack). I will fill in later on what they found about AH issue.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Ok, take a seat before you read this Service Active Handling post!

Well I just got the results back when I picked up my car this afternoon that had the "Service Active Handling" message last Saturday on my 2006 C6 A6 F55 NAV.

Now here is the shocking part, another Steering Wheel Rotation Sensor was replaced! Part number: 15231656 Sensor

Now the real shocking part, this sensor has been replaced THREE (3) times and I will give you the dates. I'm looking at the actual invoices.

Dealer Invoice Dated: 10/17/2007 15231656 Sensor,
Dealer Invoice Dated: 04/09/2009 15231656 Sensor,
Dealer Invoice Dated: 06/10/2009 19179794 Clip,
Dealer Invoice Dated: 07/14/2010 15231656 Sensor.

I hope that Geoff Allen, Chevrolet Customer Service, is monitoring this thread again. Geoff, we ALL need your help and the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act needs to be notified on this and any other appropiate governmental body. This is absolutely uncalled for, this sensor being manufactured and delivered, is totally irresponsible. There is NO EXCUSE FOR THIS. I will be glad to send copies of these invoices for your information and help. Please PM me where I can mail copies to you. Thanks!

For those on the rear end noise of droning/thumping: The dealer documented on the invoice, "Heard Noise Cannot Pinpoint Exact Location At This Time"; therefore, no action was taken.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 07-14-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Thanks 2006c6keller. Appreciate your sharing all this in detail. Sensors. I suppose there are zero reports of issues with non-tele wheel cars? It's interesting that your dealer found codes for the sensor but -- at that time -- there was no message.

Last edited by scrannel; 07-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:55 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Geoff Allen of Chevrolet Customer Service has contacted me!

In October 2007 my car was in for differential problem and when they checked codes they found codes for steering sensor and replaced and also replaced connector with part obtained locally - NO message was received. I have received active handling message I believe now, 3 times. Since every time they found something wrong they replaced a part and a duplicate message one other time which service manager and I jumped on, that was when clip was added in June 2009. I'm going to pickup car now and find out what AH problem was, sorry, but had good discussion about rear end drumming noise I was also having and they weren't able to resolve, I had other rear end issuses that could mask noise source. They were looking at wheel bearings, cv joints, differential, etc. (Used stethoscope and chassis ear on rack). I will fill in later on what they found about AH issue.
Well I just got the results back when I picked up my car this afternoon that had the "Service Active Handling" message last Saturday on my 2006 C6 A6 F55 NAV.

Now here is the shocking part, another Steering Wheel Rotation Sensor was replaced! Part number: 15231656 Sensor

Now the real shocking part, this sensor has been replaced THREE (3) times and I will give you the dates. I'm looking at the actual invoices.

I hope that Geoff Allen, Chevrolet Customer Service, is monitoring this thread again. Geoff, we ALL need your help and the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act needs to be notified on this and any other appropiate governmental body. This is absolutely uncalled for, this sensor being manufactured and delivered, is totally irresponsible. There is NO EXCUSE FOR THIS. I will be glad to send copies of these invoices for your information and help. Please PM me where I can mail copies to you. Thanks!

For those on the rear end noise of droning/thumping: The dealer documented on the invoice, "Heard Noise Cannot Pinpoint Exact Location At This Time"; therefore, no action was taken.
Geoff Allen of Chevrolet Customer Service has PM me and has viewed my posts and is refering me to Districts Field Operation Manager and also gave me a reference issue number because of multiple issues and repair attempts. An agent is to be contacting me within the next 24 to 48 hours and also gave me the Chevrolet Customer Assistance telephone number of 1-800-222-1020.

I will keep this tread updated as news is received on AH problem. Of course, I will have them also look into my droning/thumping problem that has had multiple issues and repair attempts.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:57 AM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Took my top in to be replaced early this week. Our local dealer who shall remain nameless for the moment called Wed to say the new top was ready. I told them I'd pick it up Friday since I was not available on Thursday. I arrived Friday and went looking for someone in the body shop. Finally after 20 mins someone (body shop manager) comes out and tells me "we're finessing the top". When I ask what that means exactly he says the exact same thing. When I ask why I was called 2 days ago and told the top was done he again repeats his previous statement and starts copping an attitude about it. Another 30 mins go by and they bring the top out and start installing it on my car, WITH THE LATCHES CLOSED, when I tell him to stop since you can't install the top with the latches closed he says "then you do it". I take one look at the top and tell the guy who was "finessing it" to take it off. There are dimples, scratches, pinholes, etc in the paint. He says no problem I can buff that out. I told him there's no way he's buffing everything out to which he responds "how many cars have you ever painted". You have to love the attitude of these a$$holes.

I went and found the owner who I know and he is having them take another crack at repainting the top. To top things off, on my way out the door the body shop manager mumbles under his breath, "go "F" yourself".

I called GM when I got home and opened up a case file, they called the dealership and will be following up. I gave them the blow by blow of what's happened so far including the lovely commentary from the body shop manager.

Stay tuned!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM
iowaraider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by carboman
Took my top in to be replaced early this week. Our local dealer who shall remain nameless for the moment called Wed to say the new top was ready. I told them I'd pick it up Friday since I was not available on Thursday. I arrived Friday and went looking for someone in the body shop. Finally after 20 mins someone (body shop manager) comes out and tells me "we're finessing the top". When I ask what that means exactly he says the exact same thing. When I ask why I was called 2 days ago and told the top was done he again repeats his previous statement and starts copping an attitude about it. Another 30 mins go by and they bring the top out and start installing it on my car, WITH THE LATCHES CLOSED, when I tell him to stop since you can't install the top with the latches closed he says "then you do it". I take one look at the top and tell the guy who was "finessing it" to take it off. There are dimples, scratches, pinholes, etc in the paint. He says no problem I can buff that out. I told him there's no way he's buffing everything out to which he responds "how many cars have you ever painted". You have to love the attitude of these a$$holes.

I went and found the owner who I know and he is having them take another crack at repainting the top. To top things off, on my way out the door the body shop manager mumbles under his breath, "go "F" yourself".

I called GM when I got home and opened up a case file, they called the dealership and will be following up. I gave them the blow by blow of what's happened so far including the lovely commentary from the body shop manager.

Stay tuned!
Wow! The body shop guy brought mine out and said "you put it on you've done it a lot more than me". He said he last had a C4.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:57 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Geoff Allen of Chevrolet Customer Service has PM me and has viewed my posts and is refering me to Districts Field Operation Manager and also gave me a reference issue number because of multiple issues and repair attempts. An agent is to be contacting me within the next 24 to 48 hours and also gave me the Chevrolet Customer Assistance telephone number of 1-800-222-1020.

I will keep this tread updated as news is received on AH problem. Of course, I will have them also look into my droning/thumping problem that has had multiple issues and repair attempts.
This is good news...GM needs to stay on top of this or risk looking like Toyota on this one.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:02 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have a 06 brought in 05. No notice and not going to call. Knowing GM will mess
it up worst
Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
have a 06 brought in 05. No notice and not going to call. Knowing GM will mess
it up worst
While I understand how you feel, the truth is the clip is easy and fast for them to install.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:03 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Update on AH recall bullitin and rear end noise.

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
This is good news...GM needs to stay on top of this or risk looking like Toyota on this one.
Representative from GM contacted me and I gave her all the info on ALL three steering sensors replacements plus the rear end noise, she is to talk to dealer(s) and was suppose to Email me back per my request as our confirmation that we talked, she said she would, No Email. Maybe she doesn't want GM to confirm they got this report, she did confirm the Ref# of the report. I was hoping to get a little more than having to send Certified/Return Receipt Letter in the future.

But listen to this, the Vin # of the recall were between #65100001 - #65115536, mine didn't fall between these numbers. Yikes!

Will keep updated!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

I picked up my C6 yesterday at the dealer.They replaced the Yaw sensor. The service mgr. called it the Roll Over sensor. No problems on the way home. He said they drove it numerous times and didn't have any problem. Let's hope it is fixed. I did't get a bill either, so that's good also. They were very nice and cordial lately. Maybe someone is pulling some strings. I'll post up if I have anymore problems.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default the blog had this before the recall

In May of 2009 I bought a 2005 vert, and intermittently I would have this trouble displayed on my DIC. In the summer/fall of that year, it started happening more often, so I searched about, and here on the website there was a topic about it and how to fix it. I brought my car to my local dealer (McDermott), explained what was happening and what the fix was (as they double checked their system to verify). They ordered the comb piece and had me come back about a week later for the ten minute fix, gratis. No more recurring problems.

Funny though, in the spring of 2010 I got a recall notice from GM for the same thing. Wierd how long it takes for a recall to come out, for something that's been happening for apparently so long.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled

Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
RicksCorvette
Advanced

I recently took my 05 Vette in for the recall; At the time the dealership could not fix the roof panel, but did fix the the Active handling system (allegedly).

I was driving my Vette this week and all of a sudden my vehicle starting pulling heavy to the left. I was probably driving it at 20 mph, but it freaked me out, expecially after I had executed the recall on the handling system.

My dash said "Service Active Handling". WTF? I thought I had already done that?

I'm still in shock and I'm not really sure what my next steps will be.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by RicksCorvette
I recently took my 05 Vette in for the recall; At the time the dealership could not fix the roof panel, but did fix the the Active handling system (allegedly).

I was driving my Vette this week and all of a sudden my vehicle starting pulling heavy to the left. I was probably driving it at 20 mph, but it freaked me out, expecially after I had executed the recall on the handling system.

My dash said "Service Active Handling". WTF? I thought I had already done that?

I'm still in shock and I'm not really sure what my next steps will be.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Check my post above (#256). It wasn't only the clip that had to be put on, but the Yaw sensor was bad. I have driven it two times now and no problems so far.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Update

Representative from GM contacted me and I gave her all the info on ALL three steering sensors replacements plus the rear end noise, she is to talk to dealer(s) and was suppose to Email me back per my request as our confirmation that we talked, she said she would, No Email. Maybe she doesn't want GM to confirm they got this report, she did confirm the Ref# of the report. I was hoping to get a little more than having to send Certified/Return Receipt Letter in the future.

But listen to this, the Vin # of the recall were between #65100001 - #65115536, mine didn't fall between these numbers. Yikes!

Will keep updated!
Well here is the update. GM Customer Service takes the same line as the dealer but makes notes that this is an active open problem on the rear end and until it makes more noise where they can pin point it, they'll do nothing. As for the AH, they consider it fixed as of now, yikes, FOUR (4) sensors in 3 1/2 years! Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: 2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled