C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun visor mirror hinge broken

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
The_Tibulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha. My passenger side is broken. I have folded up pieces of tape holding it to the mirror right now so the light won't be on. Lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:33 PM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just checked mine on my 05 and they worked but stiff and squeaked. I used a spray lube and now they are quite and smooth. I don't look at myself in the mirrow that much, I guess thats what saved them.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
uherdme
Cruising

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
What is going on here? Several of us have broken hinges at the same time.
Both of mine are broken. Drivers side hinge and passenger side, the mirror housing came loose and the hinge also failed. I did the velcro trick in the drivers side and removed the pas. side until I find a replacement. Mid-America has one for $189+ s&h. I could not find any used ones online.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Bill.culpepper
Instructor

It's hard to believe that we pay 50-120 k for a car and Chevy has not cracked the code on a vanity mirror. I have owned everything from a Vega to and M5 and never broke this feature.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 PM
leon_id
Heel & Toe

joined the club today. barely used visor mirrors/lights in 6 years
I have an idea to replace mirror/lights with small LCD screen for the backup camera (I have simple radio) and leaving lid/cover there would be nice. So I looked at the driver's side and then just opened passenger's side and whooops here you go.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I fixed mine here is my post with videos, they didn't all load up here great from photobucket but there are 4 and they are all up on my photobucket page
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...th-videos.html
Old 08-25-2013, 12:01 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by leon_id
joined the club today. barely used visor mirrors/lights in 6 years
I have an idea to replace mirror/lights with small LCD screen for the backup camera (I have simple radio) and leaving lid/cover there would be nice. So I looked at the driver's side and then just opened passenger's side and whooops here you go.
you mean something like this????
I did this install this winter, for my front facing camera, when my cover hinge broke.
I did have a new spare drivers side visor, perfect hinges, without the homelink, if my monitor experiment went bad...but it turned out OK.
Believe me, I've had 2 broken covers on the passenger side, and there is really no magic fix. It's impossible to fix the hinge, and have it work like a new one. A fixed one using wire, or whatever else, will not keep the cover tight over the mirror, without using something like velcro.
I had to buy new visors for the passenger side when the hinges broke. I keep them lubricated , and so far so good.

I've added the PDF with pics of the process of mounting the monitor on the visor for anyone interested.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
monitor attach to Sunvisor.pdf (1.16 MB, 133 views)

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 08-25-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

LV2TOUR: Thanks for the info!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Scott in IN
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

My hinge broke too and I fixed it (don't laugh) with some JB Weld and a paper clip. It's held up so far, but I've instructed my better half NOT to use the visor mirror.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:36 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 196 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

My wife broke the passenger side mirror cover. The litte pin in the corner of it broke and left one side hanging there. To make a long story short I ordered the replacement cover for about $19.00 from Amazon and I broke it in the process of installation. It is almost impossible to get those little plastic hinges or pins to attach without breaking the plastic. I ended up really messing up the mirror trying to correct the problem. I ended up ordering a brand new passenger side visor with a lighted vanity mirror for $127 OTD. If this one breaks easily I think I will just glue it shut and never use the lighted mirror again. I cannot believe GM made such a low quality vanity mirror and visor assembly. This is the only vehicle I have ever had that I had to replace a visor. The little plastic pins are so fragile and I am sure there are plenty of other owners who have had to replace theirs too. I do not recommend trying to replace the cover since it's almost impossible. The OP probably has a good idea just gluing in some pins but I did not see this article until I purchased a brand new visor. I am not going to use the drivers side because that could go at any time too and I have the Homelink system.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:18 PM
Whatscooking
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Discovered the right one was half broken. Ordered 2 off of Ebay late Friday night,30 some dollars for both. They were in my mail box today, how that happened i don't know. Took my pic figured out there are two metal spring C clip things that are stout that hold the plastic. Raise the clip back enough to rest on new plastic hinge bar on then walk it home. Took me longer to climb in out that to do the repair.
The new one operates smoothly. Now the wife can pick her nose and not ask me how she looks.

Last edited by Whatscooking; 09-19-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Sun visor mirror hinge broken