C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin GPS and c6 corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
tfaust
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much. Nice picture.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM
tfaust
Cruising

Thanks so much for info. Nice picture
Old 02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of one either.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,112 Likes on 721 Posts

No problem with my 303 Streetpilot.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM
candlemuse
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garmin or any other portable navigation devices do not emit any signals , unless they are equipped with Bluetooth or a FM transmitter.
The Bluetooth can be disabled and if your Garmin unit has a FM transmitter , that can be disabled too.
The FM transmitter is for playing music from a memory card on the device to the car radio or to use as speaker phone if the Garmin has Bluetooth feature.
The battery chargers either for phones or GPS devices do generate noise , because they use switching power supplies.

Last edited by candlemuse; 02-19-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by george vee
What CB radio and what antenna for cb are you using?
Thanks
Cobra 75 series CB with all the controls & speaker in the microphone, plus a separate Cobra speaker facing inboard, sitting on top of the ridge behind my seat, velcro'd to the sidewall. Power cord has a cig lighter plug from Radio Shack that I plug/unplug inside my console. Caution- plug is always on, be sure to turn off CB at night. Junction box for radio is velcro'd to floor behind my seat, positioned so memory seat doesn't crush it.

Antenna is a Firestik no-ground-plane whip about 3' long, mounted on a small homemade (not by me) mount that is held in place by the rear license plate. That antenna is not available any more, I would just buy the mount & antenna package from Mid America or Ecklers if they are still available.

Our club uses CB for road trips, I wanted to use either family radio or commercial walkie-talkies for convenience, but we did some actual testing and the CB had much greater range. Probably because of the antenna. Separate speaker is also good against all the background noise.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by kenedds
Garmin rocks in C6. Portable, updatable, costs a fraction of GM unit - which has spawned it's own "sticky". You decide but i think it's a no-brainer.
Factory Nav rocks in C6. Permanent installation deters thieves, looks good, covered by factory warranty and GMPP, interfaces with HUD, mutes music for voice directions. Very capable IF you use talon90's tutorial to learn the capabilities. You decide but i think it's a no-brainer.

Just pullin' yer leg.
Both systems have advantages and disadvantages, each person should think about what they want/need and buy accordingly. I have a Garmin but prefer the factory nav in all three of our cars.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes I had a lot of problems with two different Garmins in my 2010 C6 vert, but managed to solve them.

The Garmin would loose signal when placed below the XM radio box at the top of the passenger window, and would not get good reception down by the cupholders.

I eventually mounted it on the center air vent, and it works well there.

I like it there, as it is high enough to see with just a glance, and does not project, from my view, over the hood or fenders. I got the mount on ebay, for about $10

I prefer the Garmin, as I can set up a road trip, on the roads I want to travel and the hotels I want to stay at, do it completely on my desktop computer, and then download it to my Garmin. I did that for a 6000 mile trip this past summer.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-the-west.html
Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 PM
C6CPA
Burning Brakes

No problem, and the garmin is far superior to the indash unit (and for a fraction of the price, not to mention the portability factor).
Old 02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Cobra 75 series CB with all the controls & speaker in the microphone, plus a separate Cobra speaker facing inboard, sitting on top of the ridge behind my seat, velcro'd to the sidewall. Power cord has a cig lighter plug from Radio Shack that I plug/unplug inside my console. Caution- plug is always on, be sure to turn off CB at night. Junction box for radio is velcro'd to floor behind my seat, positioned so memory seat doesn't crush it.

Antenna is a Firestik no-ground-plane whip about 3' long, mounted on a small homemade (not by me) mount that is held in place by the rear license plate. That antenna is not available any more, I would just buy the mount & antenna package from Mid America or Ecklers if they are still available.

Our club uses CB for road trips, I wanted to use either family radio or commercial walkie-talkies for convenience, but we did some actual testing and the CB had much greater range. Probably because of the antenna. Separate speaker is also good against all the background noise.
thanks for the reply, I like my road trips with my CB radio, gives me a lot of info on what is going on ahead of me.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Bsull
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, I have. I am probably the exception to the rule. I have a problem with using Garmin GPS in 2010 GS coupe. Dealer says they cannot fix. See this thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...-with-gps.html
I'll be posting update today.

Quick Reply: Garmin GPS and c6 corvettes