C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who would buy a Ferrari if they had more HORSEPOWER? (PIC's/Video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Comparing a Ferrari to a Corvette on the basis of horsepower is incredibly pointless. Let me illustrate, OK?

"Would you buy a Mustang if they had more HORSPOWER? (PIC's/Video)"

This one here will WIPE THE FLOOR of any modded C6 in a straight line:

Does it appeal to you?

"Would you buy a Honda Civid if they had more HORSPOWER? (PIC's/Video)"

This CRX runs 9s in the quarter. It will wipe the floor with any vehicle GM OR Ferrari has ever produced (in a straight line of course):

Granted, these are extreme examples. But I could find a nicely modded mid 2000s Mustang that is both streetable AND runs in the 10s, making it much faster than any Corvette Or Ferrari, and I could do it for less than the cost of a modded LS3 C6, let alone a Ferrari.
But none of us are driving Mustangs, so I think we all understand that there is perhaps a little more to a car than just how much power it makes, right?

The Corvette might be faster, but the Ferrari is a better overall car. When people put down a quarter of a million dollars for a Ferrari they aren't buying 480HP, or whatever power number that particular model makes; they are buying a rare world class exotic sportscar.

Now, granted, FOR THE MONEY the Corvette is a much better buy. It is just as fast / faster, much easier to modify and A LOT MORE RELIABLE. Even if I could afford a used Ferrari I would not be able to afford the service bills on it. For me the C6 is a better car. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate finely crafted Italian machinery

Oh, and I'd never buy a Ferrari anyway: as soon as I have the $$$ for an exotic I am getting a Lamborghini. I'm tired of big power spinning the rear tires. I want a car that has power AND traction.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I laughed pretty hard at the title of this.

The thought that 99% of corvette owners aren't driving Ferraris because of the horsepower gave me a good chuckle.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

"...lack of horsepower and extreme lack of TQ really deters me from making a real effort to try to own one..."

I wouldn't be the lack of horsepower or a lack of TQ that detered me it would be the lack of practicality. Granted, buying an older, used Ferrari greatly reduces the acquisition cost consideration but the impression I get (from a couple men I knew who owned Ferrari's) is the maintenance will kill you. One man I knew owned two Ferrari's....one or the other was always in the shop and maintenance/repair costs were sky high. I think he said a scheduled Ferrari dealership performed (full) maintenance was over $5,000. Also, I want a high performance car to drive at the track...a car that can take the stress of regular track use. My modified Corvette fits the bill with more than decent performance and excellent reliability...it's a Chevy! It doesn't have the status and prestige of a Ferrari but that's OK. I can run the snot out of my Corvette with relatively little worry. I can't argue driving a nice Ferrari has appeal but for what I want out of a high performance car at this time I'm happy with my Corvette.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:47 AM
RequiemOfSilence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer

Yes the interiors suck too, nothing like those wonderful Vette interiors...

lol u took pictures of ur seats

and vettes dont cost 250k lmao i think u missed the point....even on the newer one...look at the center consol....nothing amazing compared to other cars in the 200-300k price range.....although ur steering wheel has buttons...thats new and exciting
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
RequiemOfSilence
Instructor

Originally Posted by HarleyB
If I could get back the (just under) $40K I spent for my '08 I would sell my house (and get a loan) to get the additional $420K to buy THIS:

599 GTO

another 599 GTO

...I just can't decide between the red or the black. Also, must have CHROME WHEELS!

not.
black black black black!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM
omc707
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a C6 Z51 with an A&A kit. 26K on the odom when installed, totally wasted extended warranty. It's fully paid off and no plans on selling it ever. I love it and want more power! But would I take a Ferrari...........................in a heartbeat.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,593 Likes on 785 Posts

Just a comment: The Ferrari 360 is only supposed to have 10 more HP than the F355 (390 versus 380::not rear wheel). It is well known that the 360 has a lot bigger mid-range than the F355. Your post indicates a lot more HP differenace than that.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

The Ferrari is in a different class than the corvette. Ferrari is a hand built exotic car that offers both high performance and quality at a premium. The comparison made by the OP between an older model Ferrari and a new modified corvette makes no sense. Would you compare a stock C5 corvette with a modified 458 Italia? Two different cars, eras and classes. Not in the same ballpark.

Todays, 458 Italia and ZR1 would have similarities in performance challenges, but Ferrari excels in exotic style, fit and finish and mechanical engineering all at a premium price. Still two cars in different classes.

Corvette is a great performance value for the money. Ferrari is a great car for your money. Is it worth it? If you have it it is!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:06 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I just can't swallow the ownership cists of the Ferraris. The ZR1 can have 638hp and the only things you do for maintnenace are change the oil and change the plugs at 100k.

I love Ferraris, they are sex on wheels, but for being so wonderfully "hand crafted" why does it require SO much maintenance? If GM can build a 600+ hp engine that is very easy to maintain, I'd think Ferrari could as well. It's not even the cost of the maintenace that gets to me, just the fact that it needs to much attention.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I would own an Enzo if I had more horsepower to be able to afford it.....
I was at the Sterling, VA Ferrari dealership a few years back getting my C6 inspected for VA. The shop manager was bored (I guess) so he gave me a tour. He had an Enzo in the shop getting an annual inspection/tune up. - $20K. Three years of that, you can buy a Vette!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ewvette001.jpg
Couldnt afford a Ferrari, so bought the Vette from them.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
RequiemOfSilence
Instructor

Originally Posted by revo1059
I just can't swallow the ownership cists of the Ferraris. The ZR1 can have 638hp and the only things you do for maintnenace are change the oil and change the plugs at 100k.

I love Ferraris, they are sex on wheels, but for being so wonderfully "hand crafted" why does it require SO much maintenance? If GM can build a 600+ hp engine that is very easy to maintain, I'd think Ferrari could as well. It's not even the cost of the maintenace that gets to me, just the fact that it needs to much attention.
I think its because vettes have torque based power where ferraris start building that power at higher rpms....that or they require maintenance for the sake of maintenance...to thin out to the guys who make 300k a year from those making a 1mil or more. Either way, I think vettes and ferraris are different animals and should not be compared in this way. Just because you have a vette doesnt mean also having a ferrari would be a waste...or vice versa.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I was at the Sterling, VA Ferrari dealership a few years back getting my C6 inspected for VA. The shop manager was bored (I guess) so he gave me a tour. He had an Enzo in the shop getting an annual inspection/tune up. - $20K. Three years of that, you can buy a Vette!
A lot of people here are missing the point. People that buy Enzo's don't care about a $20k tune up. Just the the Bugatti owners don't care that the tires are $20k and after 3 sets of tires you have to replace the $70k rims. When you are that rich it really doesn't matter. The ZR1 is a great bang for the buck but GM did use a SC. Ferrari's don't use the larger displacement or FI to get their HP numbers. The reason service costs are so expensive are because of the extreme engineering and there are very few qualified people to work on them. And people on here gripe about a "Corvette Tax".
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 82 mouton
The cost of service is the problem for me.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

There are a lot of inaccurate info being written here and I am not going to get into specifics. But I will correct one mistake the 360 has 400hp not the 390 mentioned.
Also, some people here are not understanding what you are asking, you already have your high hp car that you can track if you want, they are not understanding that by some of their replies.

Here is the bottom line....

Guys who are interested in buying a Corvette come to the Corvette forum to ask Corvette OWNERS about their cars etc.

Guys who are interested in buying Ferraris should go to Ferrari chat and ask real life owners of Ferraris about their ownership. There are a lot of former and current Corvette owners who own 360's and 430's.

And to the guy(s) that are putting down Ferrari interiors.....I just laugh, seriously, I laugh.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of inaccurate info being written here and I am not going to get into specifics. But I will correct one mistake the 360 has 400hp not the 390 mentioned.
Also, some people here are not understanding what you are asking, you already have your high hp car that you can track if you want, they are not understanding that by some of their replies.

Guys who are interested in buying a Corvette come to the Corvette forum to ask Corvette OWNERS about their cars etc.

Guys who are interested in buying Ferraris should go to Ferrari chat and ask real life owners of Ferraris about their ownership. There are a lot of former and current Corvette owners who own 360's and 430's.

And to the guy(s) that are putting down Ferrari interiors.....I just laugh, seriously, I laugh.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
RequiemOfSilence
Instructor

i wasnt putting it down of course ferraris are amazing cars to be drooled over, merely stating that for the price I feel like ferrari could have made something better, more unique....do a quick google search on the lamborghini reventon interior or even a murcielago....futuristic and sleek, really looks like what a $300k car interior should look like. But again...that is just MY opinion, we are all entitled to our own.

Get notified of new replies

To Who would buy a Ferrari if they had more HORSEPOWER? (PIC's/Video)

Old 02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

A Ferrari is a marvel of automotive engineering and anyone who loves cars and has the money should own one. On the flip side, to own one requires lots of money. The routine maintenance is quite costly. The Corvette, despite the "Corvette tax" is a bargain to own and routine maintenance is not too bad. I pay about $80 for an oil change at the Chevy dealer. Our 911S oil changes are north of $250. That makes me appreciate my Vette even more.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by RequiemOfSilence
i wasnt putting it down of course ferraris are amazing cars to be drooled over, merely stating that for the price I feel like ferrari could have made something better, more unique....do a quick google search on the lamborghini reventon interior or even a murcielago....futuristic and sleek, really looks like what a $300k car interior should look like. But again...that is just MY opinion, we are all entitled to our own.
Maybe you should google F430 Scuderia 16M or 599 GTO if you want to compare apples to apples. How about google ZR1 interior.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by odysseus1
At the museum, every Ferrari is painted in only one color.
And IMO, the only color that they should be painted !

Quick Reply: Who would buy a Ferrari if they had more HORSEPOWER? (PIC's/Video)