C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Scotchprint Wrap vs Di-Noc??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
fourarmo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks glossy to me. If you want to see the matte version scroll up to the pic of the red vette. Glossy looks sweet!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 PM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Thanks guys for the compliments!
I paid $433.00 w/tax but Paul was unable to wrap the mirrors like he wanted so I was credited back $50.00...
The finish is kinda in the middle of gloss and matte, so i'm not sure which way to lean?..lol
I'm in a group purchase on a Cianci "Z06 w/ZR1 removable splitter" to base C6 bumper. I'm having it dropped shipped to the graphics shop to have it wrapped when it's released. That will save on the headlight blackout procedure since VY lights should look ok in the 3M 1080
Gary
Old 03-19-2011, 01:58 PM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Originally Posted by fourarmo
Did you have to remove the halo to install?

Also, the Scotchprint product is made by 3m. http://idsfinishes.com/blog/page/4/

You can buy direct from Ids finishes. No need to clear the dinoc anymore.
No, the halo was left on but the 1080 had to be installed in two pieces due to the overall width. I did remove the spoiler though, I read where it's hard to do a good job on the car. While I had it off, I installed a HD flasher $9.95 from NAPA to my 3rd brake light. Very noticable and safe!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PrimeTime327
No, the halo was left on but the 1080 had to be installed in two pieces due to the overall width. I did remove the spoiler though, I read where it's hard to do a good job on the car. While I had it off, I installed a HD flasher $9.95 from NAPA to my 3rd brake light. Very noticable and safe!
Hows the seam look on the halo?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:18 PM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpuli28
Hows the seam look on the halo?
It's clean. It appears to be an "overlay" of one complete line of black/gray instead of a "butt up" so it matches up good!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 PM
stroked408
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used four different types of carbon fiber vinyl so far and have done quite a bit of research as well as trial and error with the diff vinyls. The 3m scotchprint looks the most realistic and is the best quality, di noc is second and great if you want a totally matte finish. I went pretty crazy with the stuff and wrapped a bunch of miscellaneous stuff plus engine bay interior etc in my Z06, check it out!

Catch can

lap top

Wrapped a snow board for someone

Made a battery den cover

Brake ducts

door sills

Phone cover

Knife

Z06 emblem

I'd be happy to help out w/ any questions and I am an installer if anyone is interested in having anything wrapped, PM for info
Josh
The following users liked this post:
RadicalxEdward (12-31-2015)
Old 03-19-2011, 11:49 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhh you sure did go nuts
How is it holding up to heat in the engine bay?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 AM
stroked408
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpuli28
Uhhh you sure did go nuts
How is it holding up to heat in the engine bay?
It holds up pretty decent, depends on what you wrap and how hot it gets, obviously the farther away from the engine itself the better, since the film is heat activated. In other words you would want to wrap your headers w/ it. I did my engine caps and catch can and they've held up so far. The brake ducts were the hardest because of the knarly contours, had to do it in sections.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:51 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked408
It holds up pretty decent, depends on what you wrap and how hot it gets, obviously the farther away from the engine itself the better, since the film is heat activated. In other words you would want to wrap your headers w/ it. I did my engine caps and catch can and they've held up so far. The brake ducts were the hardest because of the knarly contours, had to do it in sections.
Which has more texture to it - the Di-Noc or Scotchprint??
Old 03-21-2011, 03:58 PM
stroked408
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Which has more texture to it - the Di-Noc or Scotchprint??
The di-noc is a little more textured w/ a slightly bigger weave, its also thicker than the scotcprint. The di-noc was not developed for automotive use whereas the scotchprint was specifically designed for it. Having seen and used both I can tell you the scotchprint is a much better more realistic looking product, and it looks much better in person as well. The di noc has kind of a weird color tone, almost looks too grey w/ a blue tint to it, especially next to black or even next to the scotchprint
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The di-noc is a little more textured w/ a slightly bigger weave, its also thicker than the scotcprint. The di-noc was not developed for automotive use whereas the scotchprint was specifically designed for it. Having seen and used both I can tell you the scotchprint is a much better more realistic looking product, and it looks much better in person as well. The di noc has kind of a weird color tone, almost looks too grey w/ a blue tint to it, especially next to black or even next to the scotchprint
I got my hands on a sample of each. I would say the weave in the scotchprint is about 1/3 smaller than that of the Di-Noc and yes it does feel thinner. I agree it is also a more true black.

The other thing I noticed is that the micro-grooves in each of the weave's "rectangles" which give the product its texture and reflective look collect dust like crazy!! I had the samples on my work bench and the micro-grooves got clogged with dust in seconds. I can't imagine putting this stuff on a car with clear-coating it seal and smooth it as it would collect dust and dirt and look quite bad in no time at all.

I will be making a clear-coat part of the install for sure...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I got my hands on a sample of each. I would say the weave in the scotchprint is about 1/3 smaller than that of the Di-Noc and yes it does feel thinner. I agree it is also a more true black.

The other thing I noticed is that the micro-grooves in each of the weave's "rectangles" which give the product its texture and reflective look collect dust like crazy!! I had the samples on my work bench and the micro-grooves got clogged with dust in seconds. I can't imagine putting this stuff on a car with clear-coating it seal and smooth it as it would collect dust and dirt and look quite bad in no time at all.

I will be making a clear-coat part of the install for sure...
So, the scotchprint looks more realistic? I have a roll of 48"x24" Di-Noc that I haven't used yet that is going to be up for sale depending on what you say Jack...

Oh yea forgot, link to best place to get this scotchprint?

Last edited by Racer; 03-22-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
So, the scotchprint looks more realistic? I have a roll of 48"x24" Di-Noc that I haven't used yet that is going to be up for sale depending on what you say Jack...

I got my samples from a window film/graphics place here in T.O. - they are a 3M dealer. If you do a search for 3M in your area you should be able to find one.

Totally your taste on which is more realistic. The scotchprint is much closer in size to what GM uses in our cars - the Di-Noc is probably twice as big - not that there's anything wrong with that - it's also a nice look.

Strongly suggest you track down a scotchprint sample to compare (the place I got mine from said that sample kits have been sent out to 3M dealers).

And I think either one will need a clear coat....

Trying link below - don't know if it will work - Google "Scotchprint 1080"

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beGW5VRFJ6Q9gl
Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 AM
stroked408
Burning Brakes

I dont know if I would use a clear coat on the vinyl, its not really made for it, people have tried it on the di noc and it ruins the look completely, you lose the reflectiveness of the weave. And the whole reason they came out w/ the scotchprint was to address the fact that every one wanted a glossy version. But it might be interesting to see if scotchprint looks better than the di noc clear coated. Post some pics if you do it.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I dont know if I would use a clear coat on the vinyl, its not really made for it, people have tried it on the di noc and it ruins the look completely, you lose the reflectiveness of the weave. And the whole reason they came out w/ the scotchprint was to address the fact that every one wanted a glossy version. But it might be interesting to see if scotchprint looks better than the di noc clear coated. Post some pics if you do it.
Look at the earlier posts on this thread - Post No. 14 has a clear-coating video link as well......

I agree with what you're saying, but I also think keeping it looking good will be difficult without a clear coat. I won't be doing this project for a while, so I won't be posting pics anytime soon....
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer

Tony

Did you get your hands on some Scotchprint?? I see you're selling the Di-Noc.....
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Look at the earlier posts on this thread - Post No. 14 has a clear-coating video link as well......

I agree with what you're saying, but I also think keeping it looking good will be difficult without a clear coat. I won't be doing this project for a while, so I won't be posting pics anytime soon....
3M makes several clear coats for vinyl including 9720UV which not only adds a deeper gloss but offers UV protection.
I believe that i'm going to skip the clearcoat for now, i'm satisfied with the look.
Pollen is terrible here in east Texas and the Scotchprint rinses off with the garden hose just like the Rejex treated area does. I haven't seen any additional labor since the 1080 was put on. Here's a crappy phone pic!..lol
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 3M Scotchprint Wrap vs Di-Noc??

Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the 3M clear-coat info. It looks really good - almost makes me want to get a solid-color top so I can get it wrapped (I only have the one clear top)

Nice if you could post more pics....

3M makes several clear coats for vinyl including 9720UV which not only adds a deeper gloss but offers UV protection.
I believe that i'm going to skip the clearcoat for now, i'm satisfied with the look.
Pollen is terrible here in east Texas and the Scotchprint rinses off with the garden hose just like the Rejex treated area does. I haven't seen any additional labor since the 1080 was put on. Here's a crappy phone pic!..lol
Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
PrimeTime327
Instructor

Thanks for the 3M clear-coat info. It looks really good - almost makes me want to get a solid-color top so I can get it wrapped (I only have the one clear top)

Nice if you could post more pics....
Thank you!
My girlfriend wants me to post a pic of her in her new "carbon fiber" bikini for comparison!...lol..
Definately not ...lmao!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you!
My girlfriend wants me to post a pic of her in her new "carbon fiber" bikini for comparison!...lol..
Definately not ...lmao!
I think a comparison of "TOPS" is a fab idea
The following users liked this post:
mbsnmisc (03-16-2017)

Quick Reply: 3M Scotchprint Wrap vs Di-Noc??