C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Allied Transporter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Vette Nut
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Allied Transporter Issue

LASTEST UPDATE ... Allied this morning just shut down on their own . As of now they are no longer in business. GM is looking for a new company and their was No Strike by the union.

UPDATE.... Thursday Morning .... Allied Automotive and the workers DID NOT reach any agreement and therefore there now is a labor dispute going on. GM has hired some temps and along with GM managers are now moving the cars and trucks out of the factories. Rumor is Allied may liquidate. Again i don't know what is happening at the Corvette plant but this is what is going on here. No Hourly Allied workers are on the job now and the talk is that Allied may have shut down operations on their own before the union acted.

Allied workers were suprised at there paychecks last week when they included a 20% pay cut. After a week of talking the pay has not been restored. According to the workers at our plant they did not know this was comming. These are the folks that transport many cars and trucks including Corvettes to the dealers. It sounds like there will be some issues Starting Thursday Morning. Here are some of the statements .....

March 10, 2011: Allied Automotive Group management informed the International Union yesterday morning that they would unilaterally break the Teamster national carhaul contract by cutting pay 20% across the board. The cut supposedly will hit paychecks issued tomorrow.

IBT Calls Strike at Allied for Thursday
March 16, 2011: The International Union has called for a strike to shut down the U.S. operations of Allied Automotive Group unless the company agrees before then to pay the full contract wage.

The strike is called for 6 a.m. Eastern Time. Drivers out on the road at that time are asked to go ahead and make their deliveries, and then return to their home yard to park their truck.

The strike has been called because Allied unilaterally cut wages by 20 percent, effective in paychecks issued last week. Discussion between Carhaul Director Fred Zuckerman and Allied management have not resolved the issue. Unless it is resolved today, the union says the strike will go forward.

The unilateral pay cut is in blatant violation of the contract came just as negotiations opened for a new contract. The national carhaul contract expires May 31.

Last edited by Vette Nut; 03-17-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Fuel costs.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would bet that there are plenty of drivers out there who would like to have a job.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Union going out on strike just does not seem like the best approach at this time. General public is not too supportive of unions right now. Unless your in one that is.

Not saying what happened is right, but just as was said above, there are many that would take a driving job for that 20% less wage.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Union going out on strike just does not seem like the best approach at this time. General public is not too supportive of unions right now. Unless your in one that is.

Not saying what happened is right, but just as was said above, there are many that would take a driving job for that 20% less wage.

Contracts are negotiated. From what I can tell this was something issued out with any kind of info. presented to union or its people. How would you like be use to making 2000 a month and then get cut back to 1600 in one fell swoop with no knowledge of such.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
GatewayShepherd
Racer

I think the strike would be a tuff sale to the company. There are an awfull lot of unemployed people out there looking for a job. And if the driver's stoped and thought about it...loosing their current job could be a downward spiral. I was once part of a union gig and I understand the fundemental reason but it has gone too far over the years and now is about greed. I have a good friend that was a UAW auto worker. Shift layoffs, retooling, model changes and parts shortages caused him to stay at home and collect something like 70% of his wages. Hard to shed any tears for someone in that position.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad I already got my car.. Damn fuel prices!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by ben dover
Fuel costs.
So the fuel costs should come out of the truck drivers wages?

Seems to me they should be added on to the product being transported.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 03-16-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
So the fuel costs should come out of the truck drivers wages?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Vette Nut
Melting Slicks

Bump with update
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Vette Nut
Bump with update
appreciate it
Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew6
Contracts are negotiated. From what I can tell this was something issued out with any kind of info. presented to union or its people. How would you like be use to making 2000 a month and then get cut back to 1600 in one fell swoop with no knowledge of such.
I'd quit and go get another job immediately. Oh, I forgot, I spent the time and effort to become skilled labor rather than depend on a union.

As an independent contractor I once had a client decide not to pay a signed contract. Sure its unfair. Sure its even illegal. But I have the skills to do work that makes me valuable to a lot of companies. I'm not dependant on a single job. I can refuse to work for anyone who doesn't fulfill a contract and and it won't make a difference in my standard of living.

You can depend on yourself and make the effort to make yourself valuable to others so they will gladly pay you for your work or you can pay union dues and depend on your "brothers" to help you survive. The former allows you to buy Corvettes whenever you want and the latter means you get no less nor more than the laziest most worthless employee where you work.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I'd quit and go get another job immediately. Oh, I forgot, I spent the time and effort to become skilled labor rather than depend on a union.

As an independent contractor I once had a client decide not to pay a signed contract. Sure its unfair. Sure its even illegal. But I have the skills to do work that makes me valuable to a lot of companies. I'm not dependant on a single job. I can refuse to work for anyone who doesn't fulfill a contract and and it won't make a difference in my standard of living.

You can depend on yourself and make the effort to make yourself valuable to others so they will gladly pay you for your work or you can pay union dues and depend on your "brothers" to help you survive. The former allows you to buy Corvettes whenever you want and the latter means you get no less nor more than the laziest most worthless employee where you work.
I will not say that unions can promote laziness sometimes but it also allows the best to do the jobs for the most part. I've seen 10 contractors do a job in 12 hours that 2 journey men did in 3 hours. With all that being said I am pro union and I'm even a steward to represent those employees good or bad. So i see alot of both. Its pretty crappy to represent a poor worker who just trys to make it by. and its rewarding to help someone who was doing their job and the company goes after for some BS reason.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Any info on pay rates and benefits? The cuts may he justified depending on their compensation.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

If Allied was anywhere close to liquidation it probably will happen anyway.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I would bet that there are plenty of drivers out there who would like to have a job.

Trucking used to provide a good wage. Nowadays with deregulation the cut throats are everywhere. This is not necessarily a good thing either. With rising fuel costs and insurance little $$ left for upkeep. I have witnessed this in California over the last 35 years. When I got into the business the older guys had vacation homes and boats etc. Now their is a lot of junk on the roadways with "who knows driving". Still can make a good wage but it takes a well run company. Turn your back for a minute and someone else gets the haul. No customer loyalty..all about the $$.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
odysseus1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Go ahead and Union Bash. Union Bash , Union bash, Union bash. The point is: Allied cut the pay of their drivers illegally. They had a contract and they broke it. Try to go buy a loaf of bread at your local food mart and tell the manager you are only going to pay .80 cents for it instead of a $1.00 and see what happens. Go try to buy your new Corvette for $40,000 instead of the $50,000 you and the dealer agreed apon and see what happens. What is Your word worth. Maybe it's only $.80 on the dollar! And you can take that to the bank.

Get notified of new replies

To Allied Transporter Issue

Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Minnesota Scott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to own my own construction company as well as I have been a part of a union for 14 years during that same time so I see both sides to this argument. I am old school....a deal is a deal and cutting the pay of your workers with out notice is just not something I would do if I owned the company....especially if the fact that their contract is up in another few months. Ride it out and then make a go of it from there. New contract can warrant a new pay structure and if the union is a "decent" one like I am a part of they would play ball. I have a Corvette on order and will be shipped first part of April so this should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Regards,
Scott
Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Vette Nut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Any info on pay rates and benefits? The cuts may he justified depending on their compensation.
I have heard Pay is as low as $ 9.00 per hour for some here and it tops out at $17.00 don't know about the drivers
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If the company is actually liquidating, then there is another point to add. Would the workers care to work the extra few months the 20% difference allows? Or work months less and be out of a job that much faster? Yes, it sucks, but the extra months alloted would give them time to search for a job.

Quick Reply: Allied Transporter Issue