C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube Headers void any warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Capt Steve
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read your warranty, and you should. You will find that almost any modification can affect your warranty, even changing tire size. If you change anything on the car and the dealer feels it contributed to a failure, the dealer may try to void that part of the warranty, or not. It would be up to you to prove it did not contribute to the failure.

On major repairs, the dealer is required to involve the regional GM rep before starting a repair. So no matter what the dealer tells you, it may be up the regional rep to decide if the repair is covered.

If you add headers and remove or even move the oem cats, and drive the car on the road, you are in violation of federal law. Most legitimate shops will not add long tube headers and move the cats on a street car. The penalty is loss of their shop license and a $20k fine. If you look at any site selling long tube headers, most will state for off road use only.

Add any headers and you will more than likely get a Check Engine Light. This will require a new ECM/TCM tune. In fact, you will need a new tune to get the benefits of any headers. Change the stock tune and you will, according to the written GM warranty, void the engine and transmission warranty without question.

Once you are denied a warranty claim because of modification, it is entered into the GM system and every dealer will know you have modded your car from then on.

If you want to play, be prepared to pay. If the warranty is important to you, leave it stock. Then there is no question. If your need for speed is so great, mod away and pay for anything that may happen because of it.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mp6
maybe a dumb question...but will adding long tube headers to my '11 gs void any warranties at all? I got extended coverage so i hate to cancel that out! Lol thanks for the help guys! Pictures coming soon! Stay tuned!
yep
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have never heard of someone voiding a powertrain warranty for a longtube header.

Once you get TUNED for those headers that is a different story though. Simply having them shouldn't void it.

Most people saying "yes" don't really know.

The part you replace will not be covered, but your entire warranty should not be voided.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add even more fun in here. I saw a mild road race Z06 built by a big name shop (withheld) in a metro Atlanta dealer for "Oil consumption issues". They are friends with the owner and were still working on the car even though it was cammed and raced.

Again, your fate is in the hands of the Service Manager who can void your powertrain warranty or tell you to try a different dealer that may be more flexible.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
Most legitimate shops will not add long tube headers and move the cats on a street car. The penalty is loss of their shop license and a $20k fine. If you look at any site selling long tube headers, most will state for off road use only.
There's a forum vendor as we speak advertising header sales & installation.....in California,of all places.

I hope I'm wrong,but it may just be a matter of time before the wrong somebody stumbles upon it and the Feds put a serious hurting on them.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
To maximize your gains with headers or even a CAI, a tune is necessary, and that will void your powertrain warranty
I wouldn't install headers without a tune and I won't install a tune as long as I have the warranty.

OP - Check your state emission laws and if you have a mechanic that will pass it with them. As mentioned they are not legal except for off-road. Personally with the lack of performance gain without a tune headers are not a good financial decision. Not much bang for the buck.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:12 PM
MP6
Pro

Thanks for all the answers!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

I asked this very question to the service mgr at my dealer.
He said, quote; "You can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't alter any of the control modules. Other than that, go nuts."

In other words, you can do anything you want, as long as the tune stays stock.
Headers, CAI, exhaust, etc....is all okay. BUT you won't get near the performance you would with those same items all tuned together.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JWell
in most cases longtubes will void your warranty...and in the republic of kalifornication they are outright illegal on street cars
In addition the same is true in the other 49 states.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

So is driving over the speed limit. I'm sure none of you do that...
Same with front license plates in states that require them....
Old 04-10-2011, 11:28 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
In addition the same is true in the other 49 states.
Who cares?

Even if he doesn't do a tune, he'll love the enhanced sound the LT headers add to the exhaust.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 AM
DynamoHum
Intermediate

Personally I'd be able to live with just the sound improvement without the hp that a tune would add, but I keep reading that a "check engine" light is going to come on. In other words, it seems, you can't just install LPs alone or else you're going to unavoidably have problems. True?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I had headers installed by a dealer. There was no problem with the warranty but like others said some service managers may treat them differently. I doubt the service manger would even know if a car had headers since they're not the one doing the work.

I have also never had any problems with inspections. The mechanics could care less where the cats are located as long as they are installed. Where I used to live with obdII emissions inspections cats didn't matter as long as there were no codes.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:19 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickboy97
Long Tube Headers do not void your warranty in most cases, that is what my service manager told me. Almost anything related to air intake or exhaust is ok.... but LTH's are worthless without a tune... which will void a lot of your warranty.
You're installing something totally noticeable then tuning to make it work... Can't see how that's going to play well the warranty police!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
I had headers installed by a dealer. There was no problem with the warranty but like others said some service managers may treat them differently. I doubt the service manger would even know if a car had headers since they're not the one doing the work.

I have also never had any problems with inspections. The mechanics could care less where the cats are located as long as they are installed. Where I used to live with obdII emissions inspections cats didn't matter as long as there were no codes.
Wow. The fine for the owner is only $2,500.00 but for the dealer it is $25,000.00. I am surprised they did this.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Wow. The fine for the owner is only $2,500.00 but for the dealer it is $25,000.00. I am surprised they did this.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf
Yeah, no speed shops install headers for fear of fines.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Yeah, no speed shops install headers for fear of fines.
Maybe none near you. Plenty of places install them; car dealerships and header companies do.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Tube Headers void any warranty?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Stickboy97
Long Tube Headers do not void your warranty in most cases, that is what my service manager told me. Almost anything related to air intake or exhaust is ok.... but LTH's are worthless without a tune... which will void a lot of your warranty.
The service manager does not make the decision on the warranty GM does. This is a slippery slope to be on.

The OP is asking will they void the warranty, and if you read the language in the warranty, the simple answer is YES. You could get lucky and get a GM rep that is more flexible or a dealer who will "work" with you on a problem, but chances are against that.

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
If you read your warranty, and you should. You will find that almost any modification can affect your warranty, even changing tire size. If you change anything on the car and the dealer feels it contributed to a failure, the dealer may try to void that part of the warranty, or not. It would be up to you to prove it did not contribute to the failure.

On major repairs, the dealer is required to involve the regional GM rep before starting a repair. So no matter what the dealer tells you, it may be up the regional rep to decide if the repair is covered.

If you add headers and remove or even move the oem cats, and drive the car on the road, you are in violation of federal law. Most legitimate shops will not add long tube headers and move the cats on a street car. The penalty is loss of their shop license and a $20k fine. If you look at any site selling long tube headers, most will state for off road use only.

Add any headers and you will more than likely get a Check Engine Light. This will require a new ECM/TCM tune. In fact, you will need a new tune to get the benefits of any headers. Change the stock tune and you will, according to the written GM warranty, void the engine and transmission warranty without question.

Once you are denied a warranty claim because of modification, it is entered into the GM system and every dealer will know you have modded your car from then on.

If you want to play, be prepared to pay. If the warranty is important to you, leave it stock. Then there is no question. If your need for speed is so great, mod away and pay for anything that may happen because of it.

Good post and that pretty much sums it up. It's all about risk, and I love headers myself, and plan to put them on my Z soon, but I am fully aware of all of the above, and if I have a problem will not be expecting any help from anyone.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Maybe none near you. Plenty of places install them; car dealerships and header companies do.
Sarcasm

Of course speed shops, dealerships, muffler shops, and anyone who you are willing to pay would put headers on your car.

I was responding to the post that EDinPA made sounding surprised that a dealership would install them with the potential EPA fines.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 04-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenwnv

Wise. If you can't manage with 436HP (with NPP) in a 3200# 2-seater with zero wind resistance and your butt hair touching the street, move into a Z06. Personally, I like the removable roof and F55.
Same thing I was thinking. Imagine it.....approx 16% bump in hp and NO chance of voiding the warranty AND as a bonus the Z06 looks just like a GS!

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers void any warranty?