C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy Corvette Audio System Has One Major Advantage

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
The system is manufactured under contract by Denso for the Corvette, and GM knows it's obsolete crap.
"No consolation to us, but it will not be used again in the C7."
How do you know for sure?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
The point is for what Chevy is charging for a new C6 a great sound system should be standard equippment.
It's an insult to Corvette owners to wind up with such a low quality cheap azz Bose factory sound system.
I agree the Blows is the worst sounding car stereo I have ever heard.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Directly from a senior GM Corvette engineer, present system ends with the C6.
As an FYI, the Corvette is the only GM vehicle using this NAV system.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 04-26-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Directly from a senior GM Corvette engineer, present system ends with the C6.
As an FYI, the Corvette is the only GM vehicle using this NAV system.

Paul
Other people within GM have said the same thing.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by BSE1956
There IS NO good sounding Bose system. All parts of the Bose system a equally lousy, and that includes the head unit.
With the right speakers and a good head unit, the $1500 option stereo can be replaced for about $2,000-$2,500.
Shame on GM for putting that crap in our cars.
I'll put my system up against anything out there (one without subs that is).

Short of putting it on the bench, checking frequency response on a spectrum analyzer and checking distortion, I'd be willing to bet the head unit's response is on par with state-of-the-art. Same for the Bose amps.

Quite frankly, I think too many people are totally subjective (and biased against) the Bose stuff. The main issue is the speakers - replacing those alone (and adding some good tweeters) makes a night and day difference for the MUCH better.

I have experience with this, not just an "educated guess" based on my own prejudice as so many others seem to....
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

The point is for what Chevy is charging for a new C6 a great sound system should be standard equippment.
It's an insult to Corvette owners to wind up with such a low quality cheap azz Bose factory sound system.
Have you ever looked under the car? Seen those nice suspension pieces
and other hardware capable of 1.0+g , track use, 190+ mph, handling 400+ ft lbs of torque, etc.. That's where the money went..
I'm more than happy to have a crappy stereo in the car and have more in performance..
Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6~Missle

I'm more than happy to have a crappy stereo in the car and have more in performance..

There's no reason Chevy has to sacrifice great sound for great performance.

How can Chevy call the C6 a world class sports car when it has a third world sound system?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
MuscleVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bearman95
GM must have put a different system in you GS if its that bad. My Nav. actually works good also, just had to take time to learn how to use it. And the stereo is decent sounding for a stock system.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My nav system works just fine...........I think you need to grab a beer or two and just sit there and learn how to use it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
I have the same system... It's not horrible.. Sounds descent for a factory system... I didn't buy the car for the stereo..
I have the same and would have happy if someone had stolen it but not wrecked anything else in my car..
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 PM
DC321
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vince48
I have a new 2011 3LT coupe with the "Bose Premium 7 speaker system". It is a non-Nav unit, but man, it has enough hiss on all bands rather it be XM, FM. Haven't tried a CD yet, but I have heard much better audio than my "Bose Premium".
EXACTLY! I was trying to keep out of the bashing, but I had the Bose Nav on the 2008, and I ripped it out and replaced it with a pretty sweet system.

I now bought the 2011 GS, and the first two clicks on the Bose non-Nav are just hiss. I can't believe they would let the car leave the factory like this.

I have to turn it up to five or six to drown it out, but with the windows up on a trip last week, it is too loud for me and the girlfriend to enjoy.

I had always planned on taking the unit out and swapping the equipment from the 2008. I have since sold and upgraded most of the equipment and it is being installed as I type this. 1500 watts, New Kenwood 9980 HU, Focal K2 Power all around, Stealthbox with 10W3V3, etc.

I am to pick it up Friday and will once again enjoy my car 100%.

Last edited by DC321; 04-26-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by rgauchey
My nav system works just fine...........I think you need to grab a beer or two and just sit there and learn how to use it.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I'll put my system up against anything out there (one without subs that is).

Short of putting it on the bench, checking frequency response on a spectrum analyzer and checking distortion, I'd be willing to bet the head unit's response is on par with state-of-the-art. Same for the Bose amps.

Quite frankly, I think too many people are totally subjective (and biased against) the Bose stuff. The main issue is the speakers - replacing those alone (and adding some good tweeters) makes a night and day difference for the MUCH better.

I have experience with this, not just an "educated guess" based on my own prejudice as so many others seem to....
Might not be a wise bet. If you read my post, I changed out everything a little at a time. The HU was last, and with the new HU, there was a noticeable improvement, and I haven't had time to really sit down and tune the equalizer, or X-over points. IMO, the stock HU is very harsh and flat. My Pioneer gives off a much warmer, realistic sound.
I have one test CD that will put any system though it's paces and find obvious holes especially in the low end to mid bass portion where there usually is a hole and at the high end, where certain sounds don't carry well. There is a definite improvement over both ends with the Pioneer HU.
The Pioneer low end mid bass vibrates the door panels, I never got that with the stock HU. That tells me the stock HU couldn't deliver in that range in equality with the rest of the sounds it was delivering.
This test CD also uses the triangle to emphasize an ending, and the stock HU simply didn't carry it's sound to the end, whereas the Pioneer is very definite and lets the sound carry through as the composer intended.
Again what we hear and absorb is very subjective. Growing up under a very heavy classical background taught me at a very early age how an instrument should deliver it's message and how it fits in relation to every other instrument it is interacting with.
It's a curse, I own a detail shop and have several dealer accounts. Whenever I pick up a car at a dealer for detailing, the first thing I do is shut down the rear speakers and start futzing with the balance, bass and treble, and these aren't even my cars
Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I've got a new 2011 GS, my brother has a new 2011 Yukon. We have adjoining assigned parking spaces in the covered parking behind the office building we work out of (family business!).

Last Friday night I'm leaving the office late and see my brother standing in the lobby looking a bit bummed. "Why are you still here?", I asked. The answer, "Someone broke into my car and stole the nav radio!". He follows up a sec later with..."oh sorry, I didn't think to check your car!".

Interesting thing to me was...I had absolutely no concern that my car was broken into (and I truly love my car!)....I told him..."There's no way anybody would ever want to break into a Vette to steal that POS!"

Fortunately for him, there was absolutely no damage to his car...the thief didn't do any damage opening the car (not even a fingerprint on the black paint), and fortunately, they didn't rip the unit out. The trim molding piece was sitting undamaged on the passenger seat and the screws that were removed were in the cup holder. The cable assemblies also appeared undamaged. It almost felt like he was trying to be courteous while stealing the nice radio/Nav.

Fortunately for me, the Vette's $1800 Nav option isn't exactly a desirable unit in the open market! I can't imagine how furious I would be had it been my car that was broken into!
Nice. Honestly, I would cut the guy a bit more slack in court if they caught him and it were my vehicle. Yeah, I would be pissed, but if he offered to pay for the replacement of the unit and gave me some SOB story about a lost job and a wife/kids along with that check, I wouldn't be hell-bent on having him sent to the slammer.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Npp, sings for me!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I was gonna pass on this umpteenth thousandth Bose thread, but had to grab at this one. No offense, KenHorse.

First, I frankly don't really care that much about the Bose. Bought the car for the performance. I take exception, however, that some of us are biased against the Bose. I'm not being subjective. Objectively, it sucks compared to sound systems in lesser cars.

I have a 2011 Jeep GC. MSRP $24k below the Corvette. The sound system rocks, and the NAV is 200% better than the Corvette. I know, apples to oranges.

My second issue with your argument is that it is a good head unit, but if you replace the speakers, the system will be much better. What? Why should I be happy with an expensive option that will be better after I spend MORE money? Should have been done right the first time.

No offense. In the spirit of debate!

PS. Apoligies to the OP... As usual Bose threads wonder off-topic! Glad you still have your system, and no damage.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I figured the thread would morph into a discussion of the Nav/Audio units in the Vettes.

To all those that express the sentiment "I bought the car for performance!"....I did the same thing...100% for performance. I did however spend an extra $1800 for an upgraded Nav/audio system...the performance parts were already paid for elsewhere. I would think that most folks would expect to get a fairly top of the line system for that kind of money.

Seriously...have you ever just panned the audio to the rear speakers only? If you think your $1800 upgrade is a quality unit, just try that. Why the heck did they even bother with them? While the door speakers do sound acceptable, the rear speakers sound like an old transistor radio (well, maybe not that good)....if the total package was quality, all of the speakers would at least be acceptable IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Crappy Corvette Audio System Has One Major Advantage

Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 AM
N8sFavToy
Le Mans Master

Only audio system I need in my vette is the exhaust Don't care if stereo isn't the best.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I must have a tin ear, mine sounds ok to me.

Sorry about the breakin, that sux!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
What model Polks?

Polk db 351's for the front twiddlers and db 531's for the rear. Boston Acoustics are also a favorite...S35's for the front and S55's for the rear.

Quick Reply: Crappy Corvette Audio System Has One Major Advantage