C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse light switch?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Num1maniac
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reverse light switch?????

Last Thursday I went out and enjoyed myself. When I got home I parked my car in the driveway and went in side for about 10-15 min before I came back outside to put my baby in the garage. Crank her up pull her in the garage and shut her down or so I thought. I hit the switch and put her in reverse just like I always do, but the car still said shift to reverse. So I take it out of reverse and put it back into reverse several times, still no luck shutting her completely down. So I crank her back up back out of the garage and take a ride around the corner, praying that whatever was wrong would correct itself. No luck with that. I pop the hood put the trickle charger on her and went to bed. I thought it might have been the battery, but the battery wouldn't take a full charge with the car in accessory mode, so I unplugged the battery an allowed her to fully charge. hooked the battery back up got in and it still says shift to reverse. At this point I'm ready to scream, but not ready to give up yet. Go to the dealership and buy a new battery but still get the same result. Now I'm using every curse word I've ever known, and the situation is even worse no because the car won't start no because It never completely shut itself down. So the next day I get her towed to the dreaded dealership, tell the service manager what the problem is and he gives me the deer in headlight look and said I'll let the tech look at it and let you know what we find out. After a day or so he ask me to bring in the extra fobs because the car is reading a fob, just not the one I gae them. Bring in the fobs and he tells me, oh we probably won't en up needing them. So he calls me today and tells me I have some good news and some bad news, the good news is we think we found the problem the bad news is no one manufactures the part you need.... Ughhhhh. So today I am asking my fellow brethren for help. The part they claim to need is the reverse light switch. I've done a search on the net and gmparthouse.com, but no luck yet. My car is a 2005 m6. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't understand how the reverse light switch would have anything to do with your issues but.......we'll see what more knowledgeable members say.

IMO, you probably need a new reverse sensor that's mounted in the trans. It sends a signal to the BCM to tell it the trans is in Rev and it's "okay" to shut down the electronics. Please let us know the outcome.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Num1maniac
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info Rick, when they fix it I'll give you guys the heads up on what the problem turned out to be
Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine went out in my C5, I think it cost like $30 and took all of about 10 minutes to install. Symptom was no reverse lights when in reverse.

Found it for your C6 at http://www.gmpartseast.com

Section 4 - Transmission, Brakes
Component 8 - 2005-2007 Y, 6-Speed Manual Transmission, Part 3 1st/2nd Gears
Item 7 - Switch B/U LP, $50.62

FYI, there is no other sensor that detects when the car is in reverse. There is a reverse lockout, but that locks out the reverse gear selection when the car is moving forward.

Last edited by Thrill6; 05-12-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Num1maniac
Heel & Toe

Default update!!!

got my car back from the devil i mean dealership. here's what he invoice says:inspected, found reverse light switch inoperable. removed and replaced reverse input switch. i guess this means a miracle happened since just the day before i was told the part i needed was not availbe and they didn't know when it would become available. it doesn't matter anymore, i got my baby back and i'm going to enjoy her. thanks for all the help guys.

ecs supercharger kit (Paxton Novi 1500 head unit)
ragin' racin' stinger cam (224/232 113)
kooks 1 3/4" Headers
kooks 3" x-pipe
borla 3" exhaust
.675 Dual Springs & Titanium Retainer
160° thermostat
60 lb injectors
z06 spyder replica rims
cdc rear spoiler
Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

I am very glad that they ended up fixing your Corvette. Good luck in the future!

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
ARG vette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
I am very glad that they ended up fixing your Corvette. Good luck in the future!

Brent
GM Customer Service

Brent,
My 05 has been in the shop for over a week with this reverse light switch. Can you be of any help?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by ARG vette
Brent,
My 05 has been in the shop for over a week with this reverse light switch. Can you be of any help?
Hi ARG,

We're sorry to hear your '05 has been in the shop for over a week. Is your vehicle at a certified Chevrolet dealership? Although we cannot guarantee anything, we can certainly look into your concern further if you would like. Feel free to PM us with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage and dealership name if you would like us to look into this.

Thank you,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-20-2015, 03:16 PM
ARG vette
8th Gear

Thank you for your quick response and interest. My name is Angelo and the best way to contact me is at 201-679-0487. I await your call for the detailed information. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=Num1maniac;1577627773]got my car back from the devil i mean dealership. here's what he invoice says:inspected, found reverse light switch inoperable. removed and replaced reverse input switch. i guess this means a miracle happened since just the day before i was told the part i needed was not availbe and they didn't know when it would become available. it doesn't matter anymore, i got my baby back and i'm going to enjoy her. thanks for all the help guys.

So does the invoice reflect the price and part # Thrill6 mentioned? I only ask because I also have an '05 M6 and am curious.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:30 PM
ARG vette
8th Gear

[QUOTE=lovinmyls1;1589669647]
Originally Posted by Num1maniac
got my car back from the devil i mean dealership. here's what he invoice says:inspected, found reverse light switch inoperable. removed and replaced reverse input switch. i guess this means a miracle happened since just the day before i was told the part i needed was not availbe and they didn't know when it would become available. it doesn't matter anymore, i got my baby back and i'm going to enjoy her. thanks for all the help guys.

So does the invoice reflect the price and part # Thrill6 mentioned? I only ask because I also have an '05 M6 and am curious.

Finally got the car back from dealership last week. It was a reverse light switch and solenoid. Parts were $200 and labor $400. This was my first major mechanical repair on the car.

Thanks to all for feed back and support. ARG
Old 06-22-2015, 02:30 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE=ARG vette;1589770710]
Originally Posted by lovinmyls1

Finally got the car back from dealership last week. It was a reverse light switch and solenoid. Parts were $200 and labor $400. This was my first major mechanical repair on the car.

Thanks to all for feed back and support. ARG
This sounds like some kind of ripoff??? An earlier post said the part was $50.62 ... but you were charged $200 for the part? I'm having the same "Shift to Reverse" issue with my '05 M6, and need help!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Some of you guys love to be raped by the dealer.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 89060011 GM Original Equipment Back-Up Lamp Switch: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 89060011 GM Original Equipment Back-Up Lamp Switch: Automotive

On the 05, there are two back up switches on the trans, and the switches are located on the front of the transmission on the passenger side.

Photo taken looking straight down on the trans, and the right side if the trans is the front side. So look on the right bottom side in the photo and see the two back up sensors with the two black end plugs.

Even at the dealer, should be able to trouble shoot the bad sensor problem with a tech II tool to verify that its the switches that have gone bad, and install the new switches in less than a hour (so don't have a clue where they are coming up with a $400 labor charge).

Also to point out, to check the switches once you have then in hand, just uses a multimeter across the two connectors in the connector socket with the multimeter set to resistance, and push the end button in to see if you get a changer in reading with the end piece lightly pushed in. The reason lightly, the contact is inside the switch, and the contact tabs surface wears.corrode over time ,causing the switch to not work correctly when the trans detent is pushing the end piece in instead.

As for reinstalling the sensors, torque to 15ftlbs and the sensor nut size is 22mm.

Last edited by Dano523; 06-22-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Stew24
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
Some of you guys love to be raped by the dealer.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 89060011 GM Original Equipment Back-Up Lamp Switch: Automotive

On the 05, there are two back up switches on the trans, and the switches are located on the front of the transmission on the passenger side.

Photo taken looking straight down on the trans, and the right side if the trans is the front side. So look on the right bottom side in the photo and see the two back up sensors with the two black end plugs.

Even at the dealer, should be able to trouble shoot the bad sensor problem with a tech II tool to verify that its the switches that have gone bad, and install the new switches in less than a hour (so don't have a clue where they are coming up with a $400 labor charge).

Also to point out, to check the switches once you have then in hand, just uses a multimeter across the two connectors in the connector socket with the multimeter set to resistance, and push the end button in to see if you get a changer in reading with the end piece lightly pushed in. The reason lightly, the contact is inside the switch, and the contact tabs surface wears.corrode over time ,causing the switch to not work correctly when the trans detent is pushing the end piece in instead.

As for reinstalling the sensors, torque to 15ftlbs and the sensor nut size is 22mm.
I bought the Amazon stocked backup light switch for $36.09 and it's scheduled to be delivered today, just three days from when paid for. My Corvette guy at the dealership said it would cost $90 for him to get the part. Being handy, I planned to install it myself and asked the Corvette guy at the dealership how easy was it to get to? ... He told me to just bring it to him, and he'd pop it in for me at no charge! ... said it would take him about 10 minutes! What a great guy!!!
Old 06-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stew24
I bought the Amazon stocked backup light switch for $36.09 and it's scheduled to be delivered today, just three days from when paid for. My Corvette guy at the dealership said it would cost $90 for him to get the part. Being handy, I planned to install it myself and asked the Corvette guy at the dealership how easy was it to get to? ... He told me to just bring it to him, and he'd pop it in for me at no charge! ... said it would take him about 10 minutes! What a great guy!!!

The 2006 and later only use one switch, while the 2005 uses two switches.

The hardest part of replacing the switch(s), is just getting under the car really.

Its kind of like one of the front turn signal bulbs burn out.
You can get the new bulbs for around $3 for two of them, and just have to pull the front tire to you can get to the front wheel well access plate to remove it to get to the connector to replace the bulb.

But if you take the car to the dealer to have them replace the bulb, you looking at a $100 charge instead.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Stew24
Pro

The 2006 and later only use one switch, while the 2005 uses two switches.

The hardest part of replacing the switch(s), is just getting under the car really.

Its kind of like one of the front turn signal bulbs burn out.
You can get the new bulbs for around $3 for two of them, and just have to pull the front tire to you can get to the front wheel well access plate to remove it to get to the connector to replace the bulb.

But if you take the car to the dealer to have them replace the bulb, you looking at a $100 charge instead.
Well, I placed the order for this switch Thursday afternoon around 1:00pm, took the free shipping option since I wasn't in a big hurry, and didn't plan to drive the car again until next week and the 5 -8 days delivery would be no problem. Switch came in the mail Saturday at noon, ...just 2 days!

I only bought one switch, so I guess it will be a crap shoot whether we get the right one replaced because my problem has now become intermittent! After refusing to shut down (Shift to Reverse), the last several times I'd driven it, including Thursday morning just before visiting the dealer .... It suddenly started shutting down perfectly for the last 3 stops that same day.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Dano523
Race Director

The switch has a end piece that is spring driven out, and when pushed back in by the trans, it pushes the an electrical contract bar against a contact pad inside to close the circuit in the switch.

So inside the switch, these two contacts get corroded over time and use, and why the switch goes bad. Your right now is just slightly corroded, and intermittently having problems instead.

As for trying to clean the switch contact bars, since the metal part is roll crimped down over the plastic housing piece during assembly, no clean way to pull the switch apart to clean the contacts, so it one of those parts that just have to be replaced when it goes bad instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 06-28-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse light switch?????

Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Stew24
Pro

The switch has a end piece that is spring driven out, and when pushed back in by the trans, it pushes the an electrical contract bar against a contact pad inside to close the circuit in the switch.

So inside the switch, these two contacts get corroded over time and use, and why the switch goes bad. Your right now is just slightly corroded, and intermittently having problems instead.

As for trying to clean the switch contact bars, since the metal part is roll crimped down over the plastic housing piece during assembly, no clean way to pull the switch apart to clean the contacts, so it one of those parts that just have to be replaced when it goes bad instead.
I think I'm just going to order a second switch switch and replace them both to be sure. When I first started investigating and exploring this thread, I did read where you said there was 2 switches. I tried looking at the pic that was provided but I couldn't clearly see 2 switches. Then, when I talked to my guy about it and told him you said there were 2 switches that would need replacing. Since I could only see one in the pic, I told him there must be one on each side? ... He told me, "The switches are on the passenger side, but I think only the Z06 has 2 switches."

After my guy looked up the switch, he came back and told me there were indeed 2 switches, they were unique to the '05 model year only and '06 and up used just one switch. So, with me thinking my switch was completely dead with how it had been acting, I mistakenly ordered just one. I'm even thinking the $90 he quoted me must have been for a pair of the switches? Maybe GM sells/recommends they be replaced as a pair? That would certainly explain the huge difference between his quote for $90 and the Amazon quote of $36 with free shipping!?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 AM
Dano523
Race Director

The trans that I posted is a T-56 out of a 2005,

So look at the photo closer where the wire plug connectors plug into two reverse switches, and you will be able to see the second switch just below the top one. The switches are one above the other on the side of the trans.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM
LS1DIME
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to hear some more info on this issue, my car once in a while throws a similar shift to reverse fit, I have a new GM switch but have not had time to install it, which of the 2 switches is the faulty one, my backup lights work fine, but I cant seem to find anything stating the top switch is this and the bottom switch is that?

Quick Reply: Reverse light switch?????