C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C7 News in August Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 PM
topelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette C7 News in August Motor Trend

I just got my August copy of Motor Trend in the mail. There were a couple of articles in it about the upcoming Corvette C7. I scanned them and put them on Flickr. (See below) There was also a fold out of the 100 year Centennial Z06. My scanner is crap but, hopefully you can read it or see enough to decide to go pick up your own Motor Trend. Enjoy!

The Truth About the C7

The Future According to Maximum Bob

100 Year Centennial Z06 Foldout Poster

Old 07-04-2011, 05:40 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

forget the color black, otherwise you will need a Batman suit to drive around in. 4 cyl twin turbo 800hp................ yikes.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 798 Posts

Yep, got mine too. It says the split window "batmobile" look is not for sure and the 6 cylinder is a no-go. Sure hope that concept car look is not in the cards....personal opinion, but its "ug-ug-ugly."
Old 07-04-2011, 05:50 PM
gerryt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
forget the color black, otherwise you will need a Batman suit to drive around in. 4 cyl twin turbo 800hp................ yikes.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,276 Posts

We will see huge change in engines over the next 10-15 years as tighter regs kick in. Some will view the changes with interest and acceptance. I fear I may be inclined to view the result as moving the powerplant closer to something like an appliance, with a concommittant loss of soul.

I have no doubt there will be faster vettes. Hopefully the engineers will be able to continue to infuse some "soul" into the machines.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

3-Liter V8 for the Vette? That will be one high strung motor if weight is even close to being the same. The current C6 pretty much destroys their theory that big motors are not efficient. If GM designers worked for a little they could probably get the Vette's current motor up to about 35mpg highway and another 50 or so HP (direct injection, other tweeks).
Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,983 Likes on 5,360 Posts

We will see a combination of different things including direct injection which is being debugged on the GT2 car now, more than likely a DCT which is being debugged on the GT2 car now plus maybe an adaptation of the so called short hybrid similar to the ones on the Malibu, Buick, etc. This gets a huge part of the city fuel mileage benefit of a hybrid without going full hybrid. The engine will shut off when the car is stopped, the hybrid battery will be smaller and lower weight which combined and it will get some power boost from the electric motor when needed. This will give the car a lot better city mileage thus bringing the overall average up quite a bit.

Bill
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM
topelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just waiting to see the final C7 design. I won't know if I like the new space aged mid-engine/turbo vette until I sit in one and turn the key!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 AM
bluez06ny
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
We will see a combination of different things including direct injection which is being debugged on the GT2 car now, more than likely a DCT which is being debugged on the GT2 car now plus maybe an adaptation of the so called short hybrid similar to the ones on the Malibu, Buick, etc. This gets a huge part of the city fuel mileage benefit of a hybrid without going full hybrid. The engine will shut off when the car is stopped, the hybrid battery will be smaller and lower weight which combined and it will get some power boost from the electric motor when needed. This will give the car a lot better city mileage thus bringing the overall average up quite a bit.

Bill
Except the battery is going to be huge for powering the "gigawatt" sound system that will broadcast a GT2 V8 sound to make up for the lack of a real motor.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenwnv
I think most of us may prefer displacement. But cars like the GTR and Porsches have been doing pretty darn good under 4 Litres.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 AM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

I'm just waiting to see the final C7 design. I won't know if I like the new space aged mid-engine/turbo vette until I sit in one and turn the key!
Turn the key? What is this, 1986?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If GM wants to beat everyone at the "GREEN" game, I think they should have a "cruising" version of the C7 Corvette. Build a LSx engine focused on lower internal parasidic losses and pair it with a Z06 Aluminum frame and other weight saving measures, Plus a 35 HP electric motor coupled with a small 5-minute-duration Li-Ion battery pack, low r.r. tires and long gearing.

The electric motor kicks in for the first 5 minutes the car is idle-ing or the Cruise is set at a nominal load... and a pack that small will recharge quickly under normal driving.

The thing would get 50MPG EASY. That way, instead of your eco-stats being screw'd by stop lights and waiting in drive-thru or parking garage lines, you flip the numbers over and get super-inflated stats going 65 MPH with no fuel use at all for a bit. 999,999,999MPG

It would certainly help meet the Corporate Average Fuel Economy levels for the company and who knows.. people might buy it too!

After all, which would you buy? A boring hybrid sedan or a cruising corvette that ONLY has 325 HP and redlines at 5,000 RPM if they both get 50MPG when driven modestly?

and of course.. that still leaves the monster v8's for those of us that want it.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A 2 liter, 4-cylinder, turbo boosted C7 Corvette... The demise of Corvette.
The real tragedy of Corvette going to a 4 or 6-cylinder engine would be the further loss of the American free enterprise system where companies make products to satisfy public demand. I don’t like being forced to use curly (CFL) light bulbs and I don’t like government dictating what I want in a high performance car. If I’m wrong so be but I rather doubt a majority of Corvette buyers really want a 4 or 6-cylinder Corvette. Our all-knowing government and radical environmentalists are dictating the direction of the US auto industry (and most everything else for that matter). As they did with the Volt, government will ‘compel’ the auto makers to submit to their ‘vision’ and rule. I'm all for more fuel efficient technologies but not to the exclusion of a free market, private enterprise economy where individuals have freedom of choice. I don't care how much GM tricks it out...I don't want a 4 or 6 cylinder Corvette!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

X2
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 170 Posts

There is nothing like the roar of the V-8, I attended a vintage road race last weekend and almost got my fill of hearing racing engines running down the track. We bought a new Equinox this year, the engine was a V-6 and direct injected. Very smooth running engine. The V-6 is basically our small block missing two cylinders. I know GM wants to downsized the V-8, but will be glad to see the benefits of direct injection. Diesels have been using this for years and are more efficient fuel economy wise. I was amazed to see the diesels at this year LeMans race and how quick the LMP's are.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

sometimes, a company looks to the future and thinks, "I can afford to lose my current customers because there are new and better ones out there (read: more affluent, or pliable, etc)." of course, there are also plenty of companies, worldwide, who have made that decision and now rest on, and in the "dustbin of history."

we've read what's being required/mandated for cars and car companies. what we don't know is how this company, or any company, is going to get there. and whether we, the existing customers, will like the product submitted to us.

if enough customers don't like the Corvette product, something like the Corvette may go away as a part of the model lineup. if enough customers don't like anything the company is producing, the company itself might go away.

it is a big gamble, and in a very real sense, this company is "betting the company." for all our sakes, let's hope they get it right.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C7 News in August Motor Trend

Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I view the C7 as a "bridge" to the future. I doubt the C8 will have a V8, so it's not entirely implausible that GM will offer at least two engine architectures in the C7. A small FI high winding V6 and a traditional V8 and possible one FI variant to keep up with the few remaining supercars.

We'll know in 12 to 18 months.

Tom
Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

'Maximum Bob' neglected including insight(s) into how long we can expect 800 HP twin-turbo 4 bangers to last.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good article. They're doing a good job of keeping things secret.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...tte/index.html

Quick Reply: Corvette C7 News in August Motor Trend