C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the "Tintcoat" paints a pearl type paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Value and worth is determined by what someone is willing to pay for something at any given time. When folks are waiting in line looking for a CRM Corvette, they will have to compete with the other buyers in the market that also want it. It drives up the price. Its simple economics.

If you don't believe it's true, go call any used Corvette dealer in the USA and ask them if they get more for CRM Corvettes than they do other colors.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
Value and worth is determined by what someone is willing to pay for something at any given time. When folks are waiting in line looking for a CRM Corvette, they will have to compete with the other buyers in the market that also want it. It drives up the price. Its simple economics.

If you don't believe it's true, go call any used Corvette dealer in the USA and ask them if they get more for CRM Corvettes than they do other colors.
They get more Black ones because they can sell them. Again you're right. Supply and demand....can't sell them...don't get them.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

They get more black ones simply cause GM made more in that color. You can throw a rock and find a used black Corvette. Go try to find a used CRM or AO one.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fred H.
They get more black ones simply cause GM made more in that color. You can throw a rock and find a used black Corvette. Go try to find a used CRM or AO one.
So you think dealers don't order what they want and they just get what GM wants to send? Okidoke!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

There is obviously no point in discussing this with you any further, cause you already believe you know everything about how color affects the selling price of a vehicle. I'm not wasting any more time here.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good choice for all.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by laconiajack
The way it is, is that Kelly Blue Book can't possibly take into account the effects of color on resale values, and therefore they don't even try because this info is not reported to them. Talk to the pros who attend and bid on used cars at auctions if you want the real lowdown.

Think about it. KBB is providing info on hundreds of car models. People here are giving them way to much credit for the amount of effort spent. They don't track sales of each car and each option. They assign a starting point by applying a value to options and then they pick a depreciation curve for that model and that is it. To think they spend countless man hours investigating whether or not F55 brings more than Z51 of whether black cars bring more than white cars is fantasy.

KBB is just a ball park number and nothing more. My opinion is not based on internet surfing. I actually sold my C5 here on the CForum and I can tell you that KBB did not know ****. According the them, an A4 was worth more than an MN6. What was in demand was Z51 and MN6 (which my car had). My car was in demand and very easy to sell.

It was much harder to sell C5's with auto tranny's in the used car market, and damn near every one wanted Z51 cars.

KBB got it wrong on both options.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree. Dealers are going to say you can't go by KBB, NADA or Edmunds when it comes to accurate trade value but it does give you an idea of where you "hopefully" stand....give or take a little bit.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Funny thing is that this thread is 3 pages long and no one has answered the OP's question. When I had my '79 Camaro painted, I learned a lot from the guy who owned the shop. Before he went out on his own, he ran the body shop at a Chevy dealership.

And NOW, to the OP's question: No - pearl is not the same thing as tint coat. The guy who painted my car referred to pearl as "sea shell" . It is the same thing as "mother of pearl" that you have seen elsewhere. Now what I do not know is if they use the real thing (ground up mother of pearl from sea shells), or if it is synthetic.

As Talon said, for GM, tint coat is color added to the clear coat and they do not add a step.

Another member mentioned the 3 step process:
three-stage paints (base coat, tint coat, clear coat)

He is partially correct in that that is how most body shops do it. They call them "candy colors" and they add a step to the process. However, GM does not. As one might expect, GM figured out a way to skip a step and still charge you extra

Now, what many may not know is that most of the new paints have some pearl in them. I had my '79 Camaro painted a factory GM color - it is Dark Blue Metallic - same as found on a 2004 (I think that's the right year model) Tahoe. And even though that was not considered a pearlescent paint - it does have some pearl in the recipe.

And that is the very reason I try to advise people who are restoring an old car to use a newer formulation. They often want to paint it "the same color as a 1960 something car". Big mistake - the newer recipes have much more depth and pop because of things like pearl, and possibly metallic flakes, that the old recipes did not have.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 08-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=need-for-speed;1578350561]Funny thing is that this thread is 3 pages long and no one has answered the OP's question. When I had my '79 Camaro painted, I learned a lot from the guy who owned the shop. Before he went out on his own, he ran the body shop at a Chevy dealership.

And NOW, to the OP's question: No - pearl is not the same thing as tint coat. The guy who painted my car referred to pearl as "sea shell" . It is the same thing as "mother of pearl" that you have seen elsewhere. Now what I do not know is if they use the real thing (ground up mother of pearl from sea shells), or if it is synthetic.

As Talon said, for GM, tint coat is color added to the clear coat and they do not add a step.

Another member mentioned the 3 step process:

He is partially correct in that that is how most body shops do it. They call them "candy colors" and they add a step to the process. However, GM does not. As one might expect, GM figured out a way to skip a step and still charge you extra

Now, what many may not know is that most of the new paints have some pearl in them. I had my '79 Camaro painted a factory GM color - it is Dark Blue Metallic - same as found on a 2004 (I think that's the right year model) Tahoe. And even though that was not considered a pearlescent paint - it does have some pearl in the recipe.

And that is the very reason I try to advise people who are restoring an old car to use a newer formulation. They often want to paint it "the same color as a 1960 something car". Big mistake - the newer recipes have much more depth and pop because of things like pearl, and possibly metallic flakes, that the old recipes did not have.

GM did not figure out anything, the paint companies did, and their paints are sold to all the manufacturers. The "pearl" typically shows up in the clearcoat, not the basecoat. These paints just simply cost more to produce.

Your for sure are right about using the newer paints!

Last edited by Swiftrider08; 08-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Driven your Corvette to work yet Mike?

You're way past due for a visit down here.
I have driven it to work 3 times I think. The first time had to give a few rides and the last 2 times ended up with a crowd around and people speaking things I had no clue as to what they were saying! They do love it though and several know alot about the Corvette.

Waaaaaay past due for a trip down to BG!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
I have driven it to work 3 times I think. The first time had to give a few rides and the last 2 times ended up with a crowd around and people speaking things I had no clue as to what they were saying! They do love it though and several know alot about the Corvette.

Waaaaaay past due for a trip down to BG!
That's funny. At least they appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Regarding colors and how they relate to buyers........

You frequently hear "Resale Red" stated as being a positive contributing factor by the pros.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
They are all three-stage paints (base coat, tint coat, clear coat) vs. two-stage (base coat, clear coat). They cost more because it requires more steps and therefore higher manufacturing costs.
I found out when getting a new bumper painted that it is only base coat and clear coat except for when painted at the factory. I had a whole thread about it a while ago. My hood and bumper were a little off, I talked to my painter and the GM dealership and they both told me if you look in the glove box there is just bc/cc and no tintcoat.

Quick Reply: Are the "Tintcoat" paints a pearl type paint?