C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my Michelin A/S Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes....love my Michelin AS ZP...

Much quieter. Road force balance and also a more touring friendly alignment. Tires, alignment, etc much nicer than the GY's. Basically less aggressive toe and camber.

Had to turn down the GPS voice as the cabin is much quieter. Love it.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

My used '08 came with a nearly new set of these installed. Seem like a great tire to me. Quite ride, good wearing, linear handling.

I'll happily give up 5% peak traction for 2x the tire life and ~5dB less road noise. Seems like a clear winner unless you track your car or simply don't drive it enough to worry about wear.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
John, your avatar is Sierra Hotel also.
Thanks John. Appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For those sticking with more that 3 YO GY's or until they make it to the tread wear indicator don't know what you are missing. A better tire is the best mod you can make to your Vette and noticeably safer especially in rain.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Olathe_KC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came from Texas and has F/S Firehawk Wide Ovals on it. Great for summer but I noticed last winter/spring they were a little traction challenged. This was not in snow or on major ice, but even with some minor patches on the ground on a nice day I slid around badly.

Thinking about switching to the Michelin AS as I understand they do much better in colder climates. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,371 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

FWIW, we had the Firestones on our C5. I was very pleased with them as summer tires, but in cold temps, even with a dry road, their traction fell off badly. I didn't do enough testing to provide any numbers, but I'd be cautious below 50'F with almost any summer tire.

Our Michelin A/S runflats have performed nicely down to about 20'F, and in snow up to 2". No testing beyond that point. They are a good A/S tires, but you still will lose some traction when it gets cold and a lot more on any ice or snow.

Cheers!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:19 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the Michelin's stay quiet when they have 20K on them?

Last edited by sportcruiser; 08-27-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I had them on my 08. GYs are noisy tires, especially worn ones. I use to say A/S are perfect for street use but I missed the dry weather traction of the stock Goodyears especially in corners. The tread on the A/S tires roll to easy at around .80g. If you use your C6 as a daily driver then I could see using them but I didn't spend $50k something on a sports car just to hurt its performance. I don't think I would get A/S tires again for my Vette even if they did come in GS size. Well that is just my opinion. I drove in heavy rain with my GS on the stock GY Supercar tires and I'm still in one piece. Hard to believe isn't it. I used an old driving technique called slowing down for the conditions which still works.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 AM
MWAZ
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Put mine on in June after doing a lot of research. Couldn't be happier!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,075 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I had them on my 08. GYs are noisy tires, especially worn ones. I use to say A/S are perfect for street use but I missed the dry weather traction of the stock Goodyears especially in corners. The tread on the A/S tires roll to easy at around .80g. If you use your C6 as a daily driver then I could see using them but I didn't spend $50k something on a sports car just to hurt its performance. I don't think I would get A/S tires again for my Vette even if they did come in GS size. Well that is just my opinion. I drove in heavy rain with my GS on the stock GY Supercar tires and I'm still in one piece. Hard to believe isn't it. I used an old driving technique called slowing down for the conditions which still works.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Jeff
Instructor

Cruise-In II Veteran

Great tires. Have a few k miles on a set put on earlier this year.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was skeptical about the A/S rating when it came to performance, especially in dry, summer weather. They have exceeded my expectations in this area. Mine is a DD and I drive in freezing/wet roads in my 45 mile commute during the winter, so they fit the bill perfect. They seem to be very predictable when driving at the limit too wet & dry, which is great for an A/S tire.

My only complaint is minor. The way the tire is shaped, it looks like a somewhat narrower 285 than others when looking at the rears, that's all the bad for me though...I'd buy them again.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:45 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
When my GY's were new (less than 15K) and my car was bone stock or with minor mods, they'd dead hook at 2 AZ tracks and 2 in NJ with 2.0x 60' times. After 15K they started to go away, but the mods kept the 60' nearly the same.

Later with new Invos and a few more mods, they didn't cure the traction issue on the first outing, so I switched and ran DR's at all 3 AZ tracks.

On a Feb/Mar road trip I ran at a FL track on half used up Invos and managed a 11.45 with a 1.75 60'. By that time I had a 3600 stall and other boltons that put me in the high 10s/low 11s with 1.5x 60' on DRs at both AZ and CA tracks.

On my most recent (Jul/Aug) road trip I ran a best of 12.18 and couldn't get a 60' better than 1.99 at an OH track with about 3K on the AS ZP tires.

You can draw your own conclusions, but my opinion is that the harder compound of the AS that lasts for 50K miles offers less bite than the 30K mileage of the Invos.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Jimsan
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess my next tires will be Michelin after these comments and updates,
Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 PM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas08C6
So, I thought I'd just post a quick comment on what I think of the new treads I just put on the coupe. I love these tires. I have about 1K miles on them now. They are SO quiet compared to the GYs. I've done some spirited driving with them and they stick fine (of course in our heat this summer any rubber is sticking to the pavement). I think the ride is much more comfortable as well. Now let's see how long they last. I'm hopeful!
Pleased w mine - excellent tire - haven't found any negatives after 5k miles of varied road conditions.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

I put my AS's (asses?) ZP's (zippies?) on a month or so ago (*** Zippies?). Along with ZR-1 replica wheels - pictures are posted in another thread. I like them. I really like them. Went to work this morning with the weather forcast being wet, cold, chance of snow flurries. Didn't think twice (maybe I did, can't remember that far ago), left the 4x4 Ram at home, took the 'vette.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,075 Likes on 595 Posts

If we had stayed in PA I would probably have gone with the AS tires. However, we moved to Florida and need tires that'll handle water and grip on a hot summer road. I had Nitto's on my C5, but, cannot get 555R's in C6 sizes. I'm actually leaning towards Hankooks....but, would prefer Michelins, but, I need tires that'll hook.....period. Help me guys??

Get notified of new replies

To Update on my Michelin A/S Run Flats

Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
If we had stayed in PA I would probably have gone with the AS tires. However, we moved to Florida and need tires that'll handle water and grip on a hot summer road. I had Nitto's on my C5, but, cannot get 555R's in C6 sizes. I'm actually leaning towards Hankooks....but, would prefer Michelins, but, I need tires that'll hook.....period. Help me guys??
They work awesome in the rain. Yes including heavy rain.

They work awesome on hot summer roads. What are you waiting for?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
They work awesome in the rain. Yes including heavy rain.

They work awesome on hot summer roads. What are you waiting for?
~~~~~~~

Here in Chicago I just put a set on getting ready for snow, rain, ice, and -- in six months -- hot roads & heavy rain.

Had them on my C5 and they were great in all weather.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Tim Coltrain
Racer

Default New Tires

I just installed my new Michellin A/S ZP's. How do I explain it so here goes. WOW, they ride good, WOW, no noise, WOW, they stick. Need I say more. These are worth every nickle.

TIM$VETT

Last edited by Tim Coltrain; 11-09-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Picture

Quick Reply: Update on my Michelin A/S Run Flats