C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch Control problem solved.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by THE BUD MAN
First of all, I have the mild to wild switch on my NPP 2011 MN6 GS and the LC works fine in either loud or quiet mode. Second for what it is worth, I was at Spring Mtn 3/12 -3/14 and they did a demo session on launch control, then a launch without it to show the difference, then anyone who wanted to was allowed to try it....... I guess they had heard enough about Bondurant doing it!
Very interesting re. the Launch Control working in both modes. Perhaps the discrepancy has something to do with the fact that Mild to Wild is not installed by GM and may therefore be installed differently by individuals or the dealer. However I can state several things catagorically: 1. My LC would not work in the loud mode. This was substantiated by at least two GM techs. 2. After research revealed that the default mode for my LC vis a vis Mild to Wild was the quiet mode I was able to use LC in the quiet mode but still unable to use it in the loud mode. 2. This research came from a combination of GM and Mild to Wild according to the Chevy tech.
I would say that for anyone not having this problem such as yourself, continue operating as you are. If you find that your LC does not work try changing the mode of your Mild to Wild if the system is installed along with the NPP exhaust.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 AM
LMBC6Brian2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuse pulled only on my completely stock 11GS. And Launch control does not work. Fuse back in, I have yet to see if it does. Just tried it tonight and no dice with the fuse out.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have mild to wild and my LC works perfectly in either mode.
if it makes you feel any better, i found at the track the LC to be totally worthless!
i tried it several times and each time all it did was allow the engine to bog down to almost nothing then apply the throttle. granted the track was cold and with the Michelin ps II tires not being warmed they don't hook for crap when cold. but based on time slips i had that day i had far better results doing the launching by myself. even if i had a bit of wheel spin i was able to modulate it and get far better 60 foot times not using LC verses using it.
also i think you will find you get a lot more miles out of your clutch doing it the old fashion way verses using the LC.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
i have mild to wild and my LC works perfectly in either mode.
if it makes you feel any better, i found at the track the LC to be totally worthless!
i tried it several times and each time all it did was allow the engine to bog down to almost nothing then apply the throttle. granted the track was cold and with the Michelin ps II tires not being warmed they don't hook for crap when cold. but based on time slips i had that day i had far better results doing the launching by myself. even if i had a bit of wheel spin i was able to modulate it and get far better 60 foot times not using LC verses using it.
also i think you will find you get a lot more miles out of your clutch doing it the old fashion way verses using the LC.
I have never seen anyone get any sort of decent launch out of launch control. 2.0's are the best I've seen.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Data, data, data. We need data from some totally unbiased source. Having been to Bondurant and tested the LC there I can say unequivically that out of a dozen launches no "bogging down" of the engine ever occurred. Having used launch control several times myself "in appropriate settings" I can assure you that LC works as advertised. However I would never denigrate the comments made by those of you who are more track oriented than am I. If you say that LC is not as quick for you as your own considerable abilities are without it then far be it for me to dispute that. For someone like me who has not had the advantages of drag strip experience and or drag strip type instruction the LC gives me the confidence to get the most out of my car in a 0-whatever circumstance. The problem as I see it comes down to what many of these posts devolve into - emotionalism. Instead of having the mag wags spew their anti Corvette venom maybe we could have some tests done with various different cars using LC and not using LC. Oh well, what's the matter with me? I'm supposing people really want to know the truth, not distort it due to their own personal biases. As Sergeant Friday used to say: "Just the facts Mam, just the facts. Besides, a series of tests like this wouldn't give the pro Euros a chance to complain about the Corvette interiors, now would it?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
Data, data, data. We need data from some totally unbiased source. Having been to Bondurant and tested the LC there I can say unequivically that out of a dozen launches no "bogging down" of the engine ever occurred. Having used launch control several times myself "in appropriate settings" I can assure you that LC works as advertised. However I would never denigrate the comments made by those of you who are more track oriented than am I. If you say that LC is not as quick for you as your own considerable abilities are without it then far be it for me to dispute that. For someone like me who has not had the advantages of drag strip experience and or drag strip type instruction the LC gives me the confidence to get the most out of my car in a 0-whatever circumstance. The problem as I see it comes down to what many of these posts devolve into - emotionalism. Instead of having the mag wags spew their anti Corvette venom maybe we could have some tests done with various different cars using LC and not using LC. Oh well, what's the matter with me? I'm supposing people really want to know the truth, not distort it due to their own personal biases. As Sergeant Friday used to say: "Just the facts Mam, just the facts. Besides, a series of tests like this wouldn't give the pro Euros a chance to complain about the Corvette interiors, now would it?
here is the thing, does the LC work? yes it does, it will do a fine job of allowing you to do a semi aggressive engagement of the clutch and the engine will adjust the power delivery to do exactly as advertised.
this assumes you have decent traction.
does it provide consistent launches? yes it does as advertised.

here comes the problem...

assuming you know how to drive stick fairly well and are familiar with the engagement point of your car, anyone can launch a car at the track or street better than the LC can due to the fact you know how much throttle input your giving it, how much engagement your allowing and you can anticipate your own moves before they happen.

the LC simply reacts to the conditions and it really is impossible for it to anticipate what the car is doing or about to do. it can monitor wheel speed and see that the tires are spinning and can react quickly, but everything it does compensates for things after they have already happened.

bottom line, even if YOU do not drive at the track YOU could still launch the car better and more consistently with minimal practice assuming you already know how to drive a stick.
at the track you really don't do anything different than street driving except that i usually hold the clutch a little higher so its engagement point is a little quicker at the track and i use a little more throttle than i normally would on the street.
other than that, you don't need to be a pro and can usually still cut a pretty decent launch with a lot less drama verses using LC

believe me, i was pretty excited to try it out once i found out my car would have it. however when your talking about drag racing 10th's of a second count! and even with the LC i found that to get it to launch correctly you really need to modulate the clutch release perfectly just as you would when you aren't using it, the only thing different would be that the computer is holding the throttle at a certain speed and IMO a little too high, so naturally it will spin the tires if you release too quickly, therefore it will soon cut the throttle/ timing/ spark/ fuel to prevent the tires from spinning, by then it's too late, your already fully engaged and already spinning. if you release slower you heat the clutch more and you never really know if the computer was applying full throttle or not during the engagement. likely you simply heated the clutch more then necessary.

also when you've been driving stick for 25 years it is totally un natural to be holding the gas to the floor and still modulate the clutch release. as i explained it to my daughter when i taught her to drive stick, it's a little like a dance on the pedals. a rhythm if you will between pressing the gas and releasing the clutch in a simultaneous "dance" of the 2 pedals.
you can't take someone who has the muscle memory etched into their brain for that dance and do it any better with only 1 foot allowing the computer to control the throttle.
it would be the same thing as having your passenger change gears for you while you work the pedals, it just doesn't work smoothly.

now if i let my daughter drive the car using launch control she would be instantly better than the average joe and be more consistent. but honestly i think the LC is just a toy, a cool feature you can brag about. i wish it was more than that but thats exactly what it is, nothing more, nothing less.
also i was told it would hold the rpm between shifts without hitting the rev limiter, this simply is not so. it bounced off the rev limiter between shifts every time.

ideally, a perfect clutch engagement should result in a takeoff just about exactly the way an automatic applies torque through the torque convertor, a difficult task to say the least!
assuming you have enough traction your goal with the launch would be to get the engine and drive shaft to become fully engaged under full throttle with the final engagement point at about at around 30 mph which would have the engine making nearly full torque at the same time. this would prevent the engine from bogging and make the most use of the torque available to be applied through the slipping clutch.
the problem is, your only in 1st gear for about 3-4 seconds with the window of engagement happening for well less than a second.
things happen pretty quickly during that time.
ask ranger how he launches i bet he does pretty similar to what i have described.

the PTM on the other hand i am convinced does what it's supposed to. i have not tried it yet but based on the video i have seen i am confident it does what it was supposed to do.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

And about those objective tests..........................?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM
joshdctsv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth, I too could not get LC to engage until I found this thread and disabled M2W. Worked on first attempt! Thanks OP!

(also, the few launches I did sucked with lots of spin , but as a total novice it was probably better than anything I had done on my own)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fort Rucker
It starts in the loud mode even if it's in the quiet mode when you shut it down? Mine does not work this way. If I shut my car down in the quiet mode then it's still in the quiet mode when I start the car again. It stays in whatever position it was in when the car is switched off.
But mine is a Z06, so maybe it's different from the GS?
There are two ways to connect the M2W from what I understand.
One way is a constant battery drain and remembers the last setting on startup. The other cuts power to the unit so it always restarts in loud mode. After asking my preference, Tommy Jr. installed mine at delivery in the latter mode to prevent battery drain, as it is not a daily driver for me. I have not tested the launch control but will remember this.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Check out this video on YouTube:

Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

relieved to see I wasn't the only one disappointed with it...thought I had done something wrong when I tried it shortly after purchasing 5 months ago on the street...it resulted in an impressive burnout...but little acceleration...
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

since others bumped this old thread it got me thinking...has anyone got anywhere with the M2W situation and LC?

Mine "works" in the fact that when you do the setup it'll just hold 4000rpms (vs natural free revving I can go to redline). I found it really spun the car more than anything else. Is this basically LC not working? I found it a waste and can launch the car way faster my own way. I don't like clutch dropping from 4000rpms so is that really all to expect from the system? I think I've tried it maybe 2-3 times since owning the car.

Quick Reply: Launch Control problem solved.