C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which brakes are better? base C6 or Brembo off Camaro SS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesw95
Bill is correct!
He always has good info in his post.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BC427
As my friction engineer will tell me when I ask about different braking systems.
"If you want to stop better, buy a better tire." All braking systems are capable of locking the rotors. You can have the best caliper and rotor made but if you are using the cheapest tire you will not stop as well as the system was designed for. Before spending money on a new braking system try buying a better tire.

Good Post!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:24 AM
FadeAYepez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no one has answered the question! Will the "brembo caliper" fit a c5? C6?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:56 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FadeAYepez
So no one has answered the question! Will the "brembo caliper" fit a c5? C6?
Are you concerned with a physical fit with your current rotors or a fit where the the front to rear proportioning is correct for the car you own?

I assume you're wanting to do it for appearance, since if it was for the performance factor, better pads and tires far outweigh any difference Camaro calipers might make.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

You can buy a set of Brembos for about $4k I believe. They are real Brembos designed for the C6. Pricey but you are getting the name with the product.

Brembos on GM cars are not that expensive in comparison because they are not the real thing as you find on other vehicles. GM has Brembo build them to spec just as they have Bose to do the same thing. I never heard of anyone trying to fit them on a Vette.

Corvettes stop fantastic with the base brakes because the car is relatively light compared to brake size. With the Camaro or CTS V you are looking at 600-1000 lbs more weight to stop which is a lot.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:30 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

so when i bought my 013 the sticker reads "cross drilled brakes, larger." does that mean my brakes are a wee bit better than regular c6 base brakes? it was a $500 dollar add on. why bother if the base brakes are just as good? just asking
Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
so when i bought my 013 the sticker reads "cross drilled brakes, larger." does that mean my brakes are a wee bit better than regular c6 base brakes? it was a $500 dollar add on. why bother if the base brakes are just as good? just asking
Cross drilled does nothing for brakes, just looks good. Larger brakes are the key along with larger calipers. Base C6 brakes have 4 pistons each caliper up front, 2 per rear. GS has 6 pistons per side up front, 4 per rear with a lot more pad area. Brakes on the base C6 are great, but the GS brakes are so much better.

OEM factory Brembos are light, made of high tech materials and are ultra expensive. GM's version are not but work fantastic for 99% of the owners plus theh owners think they have Brembos on their car.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:33 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Cross drilled does nothing for brakes, just looks good. Larger brakes are the key along with larger calipers. Base C6 brakes have 4 pistons each caliper up front, 2 per rear. GS has 6 pistons per side up front, 4 per rear with a lot more pad area. Brakes on the base C6 are great, but the GS brakes are so much better.

OEM factory Brembos are light, made of high tech materials and are ultra expensive. GM's version are not but work fantastic for 99% of the owners plus theh owners think they have Brembos on their car.
Your numbers are off by a factor of 2. Base (JL9) and optional HD (J55) brakes have 2 piston front and 1 rear. GS/Z06 has 3 piston fronts and 2 rear.
The stopping distance difference is far more related to the pad material and the tires than the size of the rotors.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:42 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Here's an answer to the original question...

The OEM 14" Brembo calipers and rotors from a 2014 Camaro SS kind of fit the C6. The caliper mounting bolts (5" on center for the gen5 Camaro, C5 and C6) will bolt up, but the calipers (brake pads) will be almost 1" too far out on the circumference leaving the pad hanging over on the outside edge of the rotor.

Found this out the hard way. I'm merging a wrecked (but runs and drives) 14 Camaro SS into a 70 Chevelle and the front spindles and hubs are an ATS AFX product that allows the use of C5 and C6 brakes with no modification.

So I spent big buck on the spindles only to find my front Brembos can't be used unless I relocate the spindle mounting bolt holes - they're aluminum.

Hope this helps,
Nick

Quick Reply: which brakes are better? base C6 or Brembo off Camaro SS?