C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 all marketing hype!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

well, I guess this means you can no longer live in the Houston metro area if you don't Aunt Ester, group hugs and para-fins.

welcome back, Jim. OH, that's right. you've never left! and that's all good.

Originally Posted by jschindler
Okay, because my good friend Bill sent me a PM (actually called and left me a voice mail too) telling me to read the rest of this thread....well, until he found out I just sold my Z06, I have now read this entire post. Actually, that is not really true. I just sort of looked through every page and read the words that I could understand. There really weren't many of those words.

I kept hearing about my Aunt Ester, and how some sort of paraffin was involved in making oil. I don't know anything about them. I'm not sure either about all of these group hugs (what's the difference between a IV and V hug?).

But I'll tell you what got my dander up. It's all this talk about Marketing people as if they are some sort of bad people. Yes, I'm big enough to admit I'm sort of a Marketing guy - I think that is what my degree is in even though my diploma says something like "B.S." on it...I'm not kidding, can you believe you can get a B.S. in marketing? That's way too funny right there.

Anyway, I'm only typing this because I want my friend Bill to know I did what he told me to do. Oh, btw, I have used nothing but Mobil 1 in everything I own for more years than I can remember. Never a problem.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 170 Posts

LDB and Lubricon,

A big thank you for the education on oil! I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
BTW, here is a very good article on base stocks....http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief10%2...e%20Stocks.pdf
Great read Lubrecon, thanks for posting.

JSchindler, are you using M1 in that VFR in your avatar? Your clutch won't like it. I tried Shell Rotella T, it was okay but the transmission in my Honda ST1300 would get a bit stiff after a short time so I switched back to motorcycle synthetics. I'm currently trying Fuchs Silkolene Racing oil to see if it is worth the $17/qt. If it cures my clutch issue, it will be.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

BTW, here is a very good article on base stocks....http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief10%2...e%20Stocks.pdf
Thanks for the link. Very informative.
Now just need someone to splain it to me.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, over on Bob's site, I reviewed the virgin oil analysis. Mobil 1 looks similiar to other top oils with the additive package. Here's a chart of the mobil 1 additive levels used for preventing wear.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf
Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Jschindler’s lament about respect for marketing folks triggered what I hope will be my final thoughts on this thread. What initially made me post way back on page 2, post #29, was the central question (which even Lubrecon has not addressed, hence my conceding only a TKO, not KO) of why Mobil will not say Mobil 1’s base oil is all group 4 PAO if it really is. One possible explanation is a marketing guy worried that if they made Mobil 1 sound too good, it might make their generic synthetic, which is branded “Mobil Super Synthetic” sound lame by comparison. Another possible explanation is that a corporate lawyer worried that Castrol might come back at them if they implied some synthetics are better than others. And of course a third possibility is that there really is a non-trivial amount of hydrocracked group 3 in today’s Mobil 1 base oil. Lubrecon’s spirited statements that there isn’t have shifted my estimate of probabilities in the direction of an explanation like the first two, but they have not eliminated the possibility of the third from my mind. And note that I didn’t call Lubrecon a possible liar by making that statement. When he was an active employee, Mobil 1 was all PAO base, so it would be possible for him to believe it still is, while reality has changed. But here’s the thing that the anti Mobil 1 crowd should keep in mind. As noted in the last paragraph of my first post #29 way back on page 2, and despite the nine pages of posts since then including several of mine, it really doesn’t matter very much.

To explain why it doesn’t matter much, let me digress for a second. I use my company’s gas in all my cars, and conventional motor oil in my non-Vette/CTSV cars not only because I want to support the company paying my pension, but also because I know from having seen the results of our engine testing group that our gas and conventional oil is as good as any others, and better than most. But we are Johnny-come-latelys in the synthetic lube game, so I go with the experience there, which is clearly Mobil 1. While some of the boutique brands have been in synthetics as long or longer than Mobil, they don’t have the research budget to compete with Exxon/Mobil in overall experience with synthetics. In lubes, the research budget to support continuing study of advances in additives and compounding is just as, if not more important than the base stock. So if you give me a choice (and don’t have a cow Lubrecon, notice that I’m not linking Mobil 1 to this choice) between a base 3+4 synthetic supported by a massive research budget for additive and compounding support, or a base 4 synthetic supported only by a boutique outfit’s research budget, I’ll choose the former. So that leads me to Mobil 1 irrespective of whether it’s base 4 or base 3+4 (at least until my company has more time and experience with synthetics under its belt).

Anyway, thanks in return to those who have thanked Lubrecon and me for the discussion. Perhaps we’ll be back in other threads. For this one, unless there’s some simple question for clarity or outrageous statement that I can’t let pass, I’m done.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Great read Lubrecon, thanks for posting.

JSchindler, are you using M1 in that VFR in your avatar? Your clutch won't like it. I tried Shell Rotella T, it was okay but the transmission in my Honda ST1300 would get a bit stiff after a short time so I switched back to motorcycle synthetics. I'm currently trying Fuchs Silkolene Racing oil to see if it is worth the $17/qt. If it cures my clutch issue, it will be.
I've run Mobil 1 in all of my motorcycles the past 7 years. I put 44,000 miles on a FJR1300 Yamaha with it, the Kawasaki Concours in the picture has 29,000 miles on it with Mobil one, and I have a Goldwing (my second) that has had nothing but Mobil 1. I also had a 2004 Honda ST1300 that I put about 10,000 miles on with Mobil 1. There have been zero issues with the clutch in any of them.

Speaking of Interceptors, 28 years ago I was asked to run an 8 hour endurance race on a Honda 1000 Interceptor. Mobil 1 was not very well known then, but the guy who owned the bike put Mobil 1 in it. We were racing at Texas World Speedway which is a very fast track. After 8 hours the bike - including the clutch, were running flawlessly.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

So ask yourself this question.....why does Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes, Viper, and other high dollar, high performance car manufacturer's initial fill with Mobil 1 vs the other guy's products? And why do NASCAR and other racing groups run with Mobil 1 vs the other guy's products? And please don't tell me Mobil buys them all off. The depth of BS that is found on these threads here and other places is really funny, when you can research everything via the internet, but when some dork says Mobil 1 is now a Group III base stock, the world believes him. And oh yeah, I might just be a dork also, but I am a former Mobil Chief Engineer dork!!

It really just boils downt to that. Thanks for all the other info you provided, was very educational.

The marketing hype theory is old, weak and just plain stupid. I liken it to the average conspiracy Theory mentality.... conspiracy theories are great because you never really have to have any hard, factual evidence to back it up..you can make up anything you want

One of the downsides to the forum, the bandwagon mentality..one person tries Royal Purple, or reads some one off study that's not even credible, and BOOM it's the flavor of the month here.

As you pointed out above, all of those high performance vehicles, a TON of R&D and money/resources goes into developing high performance vehicles...so a manufacturer/business is just not going to strike up some shady cash deal for "marketing hype" under the table just because

Nascar and other Racing Bodies don't just use Mobil 1 because of "marketing Hype" either. TOTAL BS IMO

Last edited by FrankTank; 02-17-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Torch 97
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the education on oils and synthetic oils. Very interesting read
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The real debate should be between GM4718/Dexos spec oils versus all others. IMO, oils that are compromised for emission purposes will never be as good as those that aren't restrained by that.

It may not make a difference in your average grocery getter in the slightest. But, it might in a highly stressed engine, like the LS7.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I read this whole thread!

Sorry to stir the pot, but IMO we are not done here.

If you read the OPs statement (on the other forum), he states:

German Castrol Syntec 0w-30, Amsoil, redline are some of the few remaining TRUE synthetics( Group IV). The other Castrol syntecs, penzzoil platinum and now Mobile 1 are not TRUE synthetics. They are hydrolocked Group III oils.
As it turns out, his statement was not totally off base regarding Mobil1. As confirmed by others on this thread Mobil1 contains some group III oils in it.

So...

Are there any motor oils that advertise their formula as a Group IV?

To legally claim an oil is a group IV, can it have any Group III oils in the blend?

Do group IV oils perform better than group III oils? From past posts it seems the answer is yes, but please confirm.

Did Mobil ever advertise Mobi1 as a group IV oil? Was it ever a pure group IV oil?

Are the Euro versions of Mobil1 any different than the domestic blends with regard to Group III and IV?

And finally...if Group IV oils are superior why wouldn't a synthetic oil company want to advertise their oil as Group IV? Let me answer this one...because they can't legally do so because it contains some group III oils.

Feel free to comment of correct. By the way thanks to LDB and Lubrecon for elevating the standard of information in this thread.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkvetteguy
Mobil 1 in my experience cant compare to true synthetics like redline,lucas and amsoil! I wish the'd quite brainwashing the general public into thinking its straight from heaven and from the gods! But then again just my opinion! Ive been using royal purple and see a difference in idle smoothness when i switched in all 3 cars!

good read! http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1265711
Mobil 1 use to be true synthetic,, but since Castrol Syntec won the law suit that allows them to be called full synthetic, Mobil 1 has also started using hydro cracked crude bases.

But for that matter, while Amsoil is a true synthetic, but their base is still derived from crude oil, because it is cheaper than using non petroleum bases.

In wear tests, Redline and Royal Purple do not even compare to Amsoil, but Mobil 1 and Syntec do. For that matter, Royal Purple didn't even keep up with Castrol dino oil.

Last edited by hig4s; 02-17-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Lubrecon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some interesting information "from the horses mouth", a individual that was the PCMO(Passenger Car Motor Oil) manger when Mobil was still Mobil. I am going out of town, but will post his exact answer to my question, with no bias in my question, that I posed to him last night when I return Monday. I will be off line until then.

Stay tuned, there will be some crow eaten!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
The real debate should be between GM4718/Dexos spec oils versus all others. IMO, oils that are compromised for emission purposes will never be as good as those that aren't restrained by that.

It may not make a difference in your average grocery getter in the slightest. But, it might in a highly stressed engine, like the LS7.
Good question. Maybe LDB and Lubricon can post some opinion on this?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

I have some interesting information "from the horses mouth", a individual that was the PCMO(Passenger Car Motor Oil) manger when Mobil was still Mobil. I am going out of town, but will post his exact answer to my question, with no bias in my question, that I posed to him last night when I return Monday. I will be off line until then.

Stay tuned, there will be some crow eaten!!!
Way to go. This is like an HBO cliffhanger.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by hig4s
But for that matter, while Amsoil is a true synthetic, but there base is still derived from crude oil, because it is cheaper than using non petroleum bases.

Please define "non petroleum bases".
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
Please define "non petroleum bases".
Sorry petroleum was not the right word.. I mean, not derived from fossil fuel, (crude oil or natural gas).

only group IV and V oils can be sold in Europe as full synthetic.

Group III are hydrocracked from crude oil, Syntec is Group III

Group IV PAO synthetics are created from carbon and hydrogen, mostly natural gas, but essentially come from fossil fuels. Amsoil Royal Purple and Mobil 1 are all Group IV

Group V Ester synthetics from acids and alcohols and are very expensive.
Redline is a Group V oil.

Last edited by hig4s; 02-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 all marketing hype!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Personally, I believe that GM over spec'd the oil used in the C5 and C6's When the C5 came out GM said the oil had to meet their GM4718M spec, which was basically all "synthetic" oils whether they used group III base stock or Group IV base stock. GM then carried through until they came up with their dexos spec for oil to be used in ALL the cars including the ZR1. An oil that is a "blend" can pass the dexos spec and ExxonMobil makes the "blend" oil that GM markets as dexos.

Funny how a car that "required" a synthetic" oil for 15 years now only requires a "blend"ed oil. Does anyone think that GM would okay a lessor oil if they thought their engines would have horrendous in service failures using a "blend"ed oil.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Personally, I believe that GM over spec'd the oil used in the C5 and C6's When the C5 came out GM said the oil had to meet their GM4718M spec, which was basically all "synthetic" oils whether they used group III base stock or Group IV base stock. GM then carried through until they came up with their dexos spec for oil to be used in ALL the cars including the ZR1. An oil that is a "blend" can pass the dexos spec and ExxonMobil makes the "blend" oil that GM markets as dexos.

Funny how a car that "required" a synthetic" oil for 15 years now only requires a "blend"ed oil. Does anyone think that GM would okay a lessor oil if they thought their engines would have horrendous in service failures using a "blend"ed oil.

Nope!! but to be fair, non-synthetics are much better than they use to be.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Nope!! but to be fair, non-synthetics are much better than they use to be.
True, but everyone is worried about which base stock is used in Mobil1 and their car doesn't even need "synthetic" oil to begin with, when a blended oil that meets the dexos spec will do.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 all marketing hype!