C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil smell after oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Just looked at my 12GS and stick has two O-rings at the top and positioned right in the middle of the two exhaust pipes stick is clean at 4k+ miles. I have not notice smell either and I looked at cabin filter lid to see how tight it was all three clips in place?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
genolan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe that Chevy would let this problem linger. Does anyone know a technician that has seen and resolved the problem? If it ends up being a rear main seal is that covered under the 5 year power train warranty since my bumper to bumper expired.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. I'm going to throw this out there. You may think I'm crazy BUT I think its the oil and oil additive pack. The additive pack 'smell' finally disperses is the reason it goes away with miles. This compliant is found on many car forumns. Not just here. I'm not sure of the how and why the smell is drawn back into the vehicle. I believe Cummin sells a 'fragrance' that is added to the oil on a oil change for this very reason. Not sure if its sold at a Dodge dealer or a Cummins parts center. I have seen this additive years back. At least its worth a try and would prove or disprove that its the oil additive pack. Its been known on the diesel forumns for years that certain oils stink more then others on the intial oil change. Has been a complaint for years. Here is a link to a thread discussing such. My 3500 dually diesel does it on a Amsoil oil change for about 500 miles. First time my vette did it I thought boy this smell is familiar. I too looked for spilled oil,found known and smell dissipated. http://forums.dieselhub.com/showthre...l-Smell-In-Cab

Last edited by Ketchum; 03-04-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 PM
genolan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The only problem with your theory is on my 2008 it never goes away
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by genolan
Has anyone come to a final root cause of the oil smell?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure on 'open' PCV system would cause a CEL, or at least higher than normal fuel trim numbers that would point a tech to that system and doing more testing. AFAIK, no one has been getting a CEL, which is why I don't think it's related to the PCV.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Seems to on every one else's unless I'm reading all these posts wrong. As I mentioned its a complaint on many other car forumns and the smell goes away until another oil service. It does on mine. Easy enough to test if someone would track down and purchase a bottle of 'fragrance' thats added to the oil. As I said just throwing it out there. It would explain a lot.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

From the frequency of this problem I suspect that what's happening is that during the oil change not enough of the old oil is gotten out and then when the amount of oil put into the car is correct if all the old oil has been removed but too much if not all of the old oil has been remove and hence the crank case is over filled and the excess gets into a bad place until it has been burned off.
Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

This has been a constant problem on my 2012 GS.

Getting pretty tired of having and EXPENSIVE car with old car oil smell!!!!

Chevy needs to man-up on this issue and fix our cars. My bet is they know the cause and don't want to shell out the $$$ to fix all the cars.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
This has been a constant problem on my 2012 GS.

Getting pretty tired of having and EXPENSIVE car with old car oil smell!!!!

Chevy needs to man-up on this issue and fix our cars. My bet is they know the cause and don't want to shell out the $$$ to fix all the cars.

yep..... you nailed that one!

there is no way in heck, they dont know whats wrong. many times a dealership has called in the district rep, to prove that the oil change had NO spill/drip/ooze/leak yet burning oil smell. some cars have it and some cars dont. wouldnt take a genius to research the vin's and figure out what differences they have , to nail down the issue.

they know.

want to bet 2014 wont have the 'burning oil syndrome'?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chevy Cust Serv

EVAN .... Please
You know all about this .... why not come forth and put an end to all this B.S. IT IS a reaction of the seal assm lube to Mobil 1 oil .... IF GM would just let these buys know what it is and that it will go away with time then most would accept it and go on with life.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

On the diesels some do it and some don't even on the same oil or even the same truck two oil changes in a row with same oil. My corvette has not done it every oil change.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketchum
On the diesels some do it and some don't even on the same oil or even the same truck two oil changes in a row with same oil. My corvette has not done it every oil change.
I'm two for two on this car though my 07 never did it. This time isn't as bad as the last but this time is cooler and I am not running the air as much either as opposed in the summer when the smell showed up every time you stopped for 1500 miles then went away..
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

The reason brought up the diesel thing is I was into that for a long time. The smell issue was discussed on those forumns as much as on this one. Some oils,Rotella for one is known for stinking bad for the first 1000 miles or so. In fact its called Smeltella It dosen't do it every time. Still think its the oil itself. How its getting in the car out of the engine I don't know. Just my 02 worth.

Last edited by Ketchum; 03-05-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
EVAN .... Please
You know all about this .... why not come forth and put an end to all this B.S. IT IS a reaction of the seal assm lube to Mobil 1 oil .... IF GM would just let these buys know what it is and that it will go away with time then most would accept it and go on with life.
so I don't get the smell because I always use Pennzoil?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Maybe.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with oil smell after oil changes

Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
EVAN .... Please
When we were debating this subject awhile back on the forum I got a private message from another member ( I dont remember who it was anymore) and he claimed this exact thing. It was his claim that if Mobil 1 was used as the assembly lube, this problem would go away and actually claimed to have used this solution on his car.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM
goushdds
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
When we were debating this subject awhile back on the forum I got a private message from another member ( I dont remember who it was anymore) and he claimed this exact thing. It was his claim that if Mobil 1 was used as the assembly lube, this problem would go away and actually claimed to have used this solution on his car.
but how long does it take to go away?? Some guys are on multiple changes with the problem recurring every time. I have only one oil change on mine so far, but I can still smell it 2000Km later!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by goushdds
but how long does it take to go away?? Some guys are on multiple changes with the problem recurring every time. I have only one oil change on mine so far, but I can still smell it 2000Km later!
I have only changed my oil once so far, last spring, and it smelled horrendous. I went to the bash last year in Kentucky and on the way down, I checked my oil several times because the smell was so strong I was sure it was leaking somewhere. It was always full and I could not see any oil anywhere. It seemed to go away by the time we got back home, that was about two thousand miles later.

I will be changing oil again this spring and cant wait to see if it starts all over again.

Quick Reply: Help with oil smell after oil changes