C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what a load

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
nortony68
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what a load

I haven't bought an American car since the 60's, primarily because of build quality. I recently purchased a 2012 Corvette base, with upgraded wheels, two roofs & added a heads up display. The car has 866 total miles on it and has been back at the dealership four times. First no AC; cause "the factory left off the belt to the compressor" ( on a $53,000 car) where is the quality control?? Second visit was a GM recall to replace the rear hatch latch, ok recalls happen.. Third, back to the dealer because the AC not working- bad relay replaced. Forth; water in car on driver side all weather mat, back to the dealer, car sent out to body shop because they need to remove the drivers side door, and door jam to replace a seal that is either defective or was never installed at the factory and reinstalling/alighning the door can not be done at the delearship. That is why I will never buy another GM product.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

hmmm.....this should be good.

ibtl.

And for the record mine has never been back to the dealer...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues. Although GM may have a way to go with quality and service, I have also heard horror stories on the "so called" great Foreign car companies. Just as GM, and other car companies can put out good product, once in awhile, someone is sleeping on an assembly line, and things get missed.
Not one car company is immune to putting out a lemon, now and then.

I'm very pleased with my vette, although I had to replace a water pump with 30K on the clock, and out of warranty. To me, that is a minor issue in the big scheme of things. I love my car..it's a true sports car.

Good Luck with the fixes, then enjoy the car

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-23-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nortony68
I haven't bought an American car since the 60's, primarily because of build quality. I recently purchased a 2012 Corvette base, with upgraded wheels, two roofs & added a heads up display. The car has 866 total miles on it and has been back at the dealership four times. First no AC; cause "the factory left off the belt to the compressor" ( on a $53,000 car) where is the quality control?? Second visit was a GM recall to replace the rear hatch latch, ok recalls happen.. Third, back to the dealer because the AC not working- bad relay replaced. Forth; water in car on driver side all weather mat, back to the dealer, car sent out to body shop because they need to remove the drivers side door, and door jam to replace a seal that is either defective or was never installed at the factory and reinstalling/alighning the door can not be done at the delearship. That is why I will never buy another GM product.
Sorry you have had the problems you've experienced. If I were you, I would be equally pissed. Of course many will find fault with you for sharing this information. I've been very lucky to have had no problems since buying my '09 in July of '08, but I'm sure that doesn't ease your pain and frustration.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Area Z51
Sorry to hear about your issues. Although GM has a long way to go with quality and service, I have also heard horror stories on the "so called" great Foreign car companies. Just as GM, and other car companies can put out good product, once in awhile, someone is sleeping on an assembly line, and things get missed.
Not one car company is immune to putiing out a lemon, now and then.

I'm very pleased with my vette, although I had to replace a water pump with 30K on the clock, and out of warranty. To me, that is a minor issue in the big scheme of things. I love my car..it's a true sports car.

Good Luck with the fixes, then enjoy the car
Water pump failure at 30,000 miles is S.O.P. for Vettes. The replacement pump won't last any longer because it's a POS.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Sounds strange. Most poeple on here will tell you that they are extremely happy with the quality of thier cars.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Water pump failure at 30,000 miles is S.O.P. for Vettes. The replacement pump won't last any longer because it's a POS.
I hear you....if it goes again, I will go with an after market.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems and at the same time thankful I have had none.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM
y2krtaf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh,
Spammer from the Z car forums....
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Happy with our 09, sorry for your issues
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You, everyone, has a right to expect better. I am a Corvette guy and it pains me to here about initial quality issues. I have had winner and looser experiences with new Vettes myself, and that's just not right.

Hopefully when you get these initial issues remedied, things will get trouble free for you.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

happy with my 06 not to many issues aside from harmonic balancer
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

OP: I hear you, sorry you had this experience -- I had an '89 Lincoln Mark VII (new) that drove me nuts with terrible build quality and even worse service trying to correct it. Sounds like even Vettes can sometimes come in Lemon Yellow. Just a thought -- have you considered contacting a GM rep, perhaps the one on this forum? I assume they don't like producing and receiving bad PR about lemons almost as much as you justifiably are angry and upset at getting stuck with one.

PS: Just because a person has a serious complaint about a Vette doesn't make him a troll. It's entirely understandable that he would be upset and want others to understand and get it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your problems.

But you think import quality is better?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
nortony68
8th Gear

Originally Posted by y2krtaf
Meh,
Spammer from the Z car forums....
Don't discount me as a spammer from some other forum. I purchased this car in NY on 2/10/12, last four number of the vin our 1788. It was stored for part of our mild winter in a heated garage thus only 866 miles. I am simply expressing my opinion on a car that I paid a significant amount of money and expected the quality to meet the purchase price. It's a great looking car and I like it, but the problems within such short time don't bode well for the future.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
nortony68
8th Gear

Originally Posted by AviBen
OP: I hear you, sorry you had this experience -- I had an '89 Lincoln Mark VII (new) that drove me nuts with terrible build quality and even worse service trying to correct it. Sounds like even Vettes can sometimes come in Lemon Yellow. Just a thought -- have you considered contacting a GM rep, perhaps the one on this forum? I assume they don't like producing and receiving bad PR about lemons almost as much as you justifiably are angry and upset at getting stuck with one.

PS: Just because a person has a serious complaint about a Vette doesn't make him a troll. It's entirely understandable that he would be upset and want others to understand and get it.
Thanks, I contacted Chevrolet customer service last week, the responded within 24 hours and followed up with the dealer. Area Rep. said he would call back after he has been notified that the water problem has been corrected.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry to hear about those troubles. Certainly not the typical experience. My 2007 has been totally trouble free. How about posting a few pics of your new vette? BTW - what made you decide after 52 years of buying foreign to give the ood old USA another shot?

I would check into the lemon laws in your state.

Get notified of new replies

To what a load

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't discount me as a spammer from some other forum. I purchased this car in NY on 2/10/12, last four number of the vin our 1788. It was stored for part of our mild winter in a heated garage thus only 866 miles. I am simply expressing my opinion on a car that I paid a significant amount of money and expected the quality to meet the purchase price. It's a great looking car and I like it, but the problems within such short time don't bode well for the future.
To be honest I do not believe you either. Your post was riddled with shots at GM and American cars.

Anything can happen. But I'm on my second C6 with no issues at all. My neighbors Lexus spends more time in the shop then the streets. So it can happen to any brand. Just look at what happened to your precious Toyota last year.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
nortony68
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wjws2000
I don't buy it.
If I could use the language that I would like to your discounting my story, I'm sure it would not be posted. My coimments express my frustration. I have the service records, I have contacted Chevrolet Customer Service and have been assured that the area service rep will follow up.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 04-23-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I've had 3 new vettes since 2006, and (knock on wood), none of them have had any issues.

Quick Reply: what a load