C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Coupe OR Convetible, what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by LabShark
It is a personal preference issue. I like the lines of the coupe better and with the removable top - you have the best of both worlds.
Actually you don't ! the best of both worlds thing is garbage.If you like top off get a VERT if you don't get a COUPE.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned both. I liked the coupe but I like the lines and looks of vert better.I don't really care about putting the top down but that's what my wife wanted, sooo... Now, if they would start making a version similar to the c5 frc I think I'd really like that.

Cliffs: go with what your wife wants!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Top comes off coupe. TONS of luggage/cooler/dog/ski/whatever space. BUT, it is not a vert and some would want nothing but a vert.
I owned a C6 coupe. Now the problem here is yes the top comes off but where does it and the luggage get stored simultaneously if you want top off driving?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I personally chose the coupe because of the styling and the option of removing the top on nice days. I did not like the overall look of the vert...too choppy and much less room for storage.

Just my .02...

MT
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Attle
So what is best, a C6 coupe or convertible? Of course why.
There is no best. It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the coupe for several reasons:

- I like the lines...the look of the coupe better than the convertible.
- I value the larger cargo capacity of the coupe versus the vert.
- A coupe can be driven on a track whereas a convertible (without a functional roll bar) quite often cannot. The coupe affords superior roll-over protection.
- Living in the high heat and relentless sunshine of Arizona I appreciate the better insulating properties of the coupe versus a ragtop.
- Although, the coupe's removable roof panel does not come close to the open-air feel of the convertible, it suffices just fine for my purposes.

Reasons aside, you just can't get that great open-air driving experience in a coupe. There is something special about driving a convertible. In college I had a ragtop, Triumph TR6 and I loved it! The choice is yours...it's your call.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM
AC04
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on tracking the car I say a coupe as a vert tends to require a roll bar at the track.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
STONEFLYE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a few t-tops, but my last 3 have been verts. Wouldn't have it any other way. I also like being in the wind on my Harley. Only drawback is there isn't any room for storage. I can get a fly rod, vest and waders in the trunk, so that's all I really need.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

As others have said, it is personal preference. In my mind, there are a few good reasons to get a coupe if any apply:

-Want/need the extra cargo space (convertible will hold the overnight bag referenced)
-Will track the car
-Like the looks of coupe better
-Budget doesn't provide for the extra cost of the convertible

If any of these apply, you should probably consider a coupe (actually, if the last one applies, consider a used or other cheaper car). Otherwise, I recommend the convertible. In past threads about this, I've seen some poor reasons (in my opinion only, obviously) for not getting a convertible. Some,(again in my opinion) poor reasons include: more parts to break, leaking tops, noise (it's actually quieter top down/off), weight (only a few pounds more), too hot, too cold, theft resistance, etc.

In the end, get what you like best, if you like the convertible, as a non track car, the real disadvantage is cargo.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
donzi1
Pro

On my 4th vert. I think they look nicer. They are quieter.I live in Toronto
and have the top down April to November. (Windrestrictor)..

To each his own. Just drive and enjoy what you get...Ed
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a vert guy but did extensive testing before I bought my '05 vert.

The convertible is:
-quieter (top up or down)
-cooler (better looking)
-cooler (temperature)
-worth more later on
-more fun
-less storage space

The coupe is:
-easier to track
-takes more waxing
-louder
-much harder to take top off
-more storage space

Last edited by BlueOx; 04-25-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was looking, the vert had one critical flaw for me...I'm too tall (6'4"). So in a rollover with the top down, I'd for sure be toast. So that eliminated it from consideration for me from the start. The other thing is that when both have the top on (which would be most of the time for me) the coupe is better looking. If I was going to be taking the top off every day, then the vert would have been a better option (well, if I was shorter anyways).
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

We have both a coupe and a convertible, and for the past 9 years have had one of each in both the C5 and C6 generations. If I could only have one, it would be the coupe. The coupe will easily hold things you couldn't think of putting in the vert. The coupe is easier to maintain than the soft top on the convertible. I think the coupe looks better the majority of the time, unless the top is down on the vert. The coupe costs less and has lower depreciation than the vert. IMO the coupe is less confining than the convertible, because of the open space behind you plus the availability of the transparent top. I have a lot years and a lot of miles in both, and the coupe is my clear preference.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Roadster, enough said!!! Both look HOT! I just like the fresh air and I dig verts.... I was going to get a coupe this last time, I have had 6 Vettes before I got my 2011 GS vert from Broadwalk. Tim gave me such of a outstanding deal, like $17,300.00 off MSRP, I had to do it, period! Coupe's are less money but still are very cool!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
kags1969
Intermediate

I recently traded my 2010 MY Coupe for a 2008 MY Vert. I have no regrets.

I have always loved convertibles and used them when the weather was nice (and it's nice a lot in Texas). I have owned a lot of Miata's (great track cars).

When I bought my 2010 Coupe it was a compromise of budget vs want. I wanted a Convertible but couldn't make myself spend the additional money for one. After driving the coupe for a while I just started jonesing for vert.

I can say that I like my convertible much more then I liked my coupe.

I really like the open air feeling that you get with the convertible and the 15-20 seconds it takes to drop the top is great. I almost never took the top off the coupe, but constantly put the top down on the vert.

I also feel a little pimpy-er in the vert :-)
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by taylor34
When I was looking, the vert had one critical flaw for me...I'm too tall (6'4"). So in a rollover with the top down, I'd for sure be toast. So that eliminated it from consideration for me from the start. The other thing is that when both have the top on (which would be most of the time for me) the coupe is better looking. If I was going to be taking the top off every day, then the vert would have been a better option (well, if I was shorter anyways).
Pretty weird reason to choose a Vette. You rolled your coupe lately? Did it save your life?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
LeManscoupe05
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

both are great. but i personally like the lines of a coupe better than the vert. of course if gm made a hardtop convertible that looked as good as the coupe. well...... then i would get the vert. in the end you really have to drive both cars. take the top off of a coupe, put the top down on a vert and see which you like best. good luck to you!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Pretty weird reason to choose a Vette. You rolled your coupe lately? Did it save your life?
Yea, and who needs those stupid seat belts and airbags anyway?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe OR Convetible, what to buy

Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
One thing surprised the hell out of me....The vert is actually much quieter inside the cabin than the coupe. The wall behind you in the vert dampens tire roar and road noise substantially. And yes, I own a coupe.
THIS IS WHAT I BIN SAYIN FER YEARS!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Attle
So what is best, a C6 coupe or convertible? Of course why.

Buy what you like,like what you buy.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
It's a tough question to answer because that is really a personal preference. I have no regrets....

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe OR Convetible, what to buy