C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped Using NPP Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Interesting how many people close the valves on the Interstate but leave them open around town.
Our car is a 2009 A6 with the 2.73 performance axle.

Driving moderately around town, the drone is intolerable; really awful. But out on the Interstate at ~70 mph, opening the valves is barely noticable. At 70 mph I can open the valves and my wife usually doesn't even notice.

Go figure...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
Should have just pulled the fuse. Purchased my first Corvette last September and quickly installed the NPP switch. I'd turn it on and off throughout the week. There were some days when i didn't like the loud drone. However, after a few months, I became POSSESSED by the sound of it and now leave it open 24/7. Anyone else?
I have the flaps open ALL the time on my 'Z....drone is worse on the Z model as well. I had the NPP and it sounds GREAT open.

In fact I had comments fro guys who heard the NPP how good it sound open just idling. The bimode (to me anyway) only sounds good when on the throttle. Much deeper sound. Pipe and engine cube size difference I suppose.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

For me, the convenience of being able to close the exhaust valves with a simple remote control button, when the drone gets to me on the highway, makes the cost of the M2W insignificant. I installed it within the first month of ownership of my Z06, and it has been trouble free other then having to replace a battery in one of the remotes.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Interesting how many people close the valves on the Interstate but leave them open around town.
Our car is a 2009 A6 with the 2.73 performance axle.

Driving moderately around town, the drone is intolerable; really awful. But out on the Interstate at ~70 mph, opening the valves is barely noticable. At 70 mph I can open the valves and my wife usually doesn't even notice.

Go figure...
At 70 it typically isn't too bad. If you're in a congested area where you spend a lot of time at 57-63 or so MPH, the drone is NASTY.

I love the horrific noise that comes out of mine around town because I can listen to it rev and drop revs, which is like music.

If I had to drive it in 6th gear at 60 MPH for a steady 100 miles with no stereo, it would be like being waterboarded.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

open most of the time.. on the highway, generally closed OR when wifey is in the car.. (she likes to talk a lot)...
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I keep mine open mostly all the time, but usually closed when on the interstate at speed...
....like to actually hear the radio!....

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

hid the MTW button under the lid for the cig lighter..

nice and quiet on frwy, can hear the radio, and wife if necessary..
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
harley7453
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjcourt
I shut the valves when cruising on the interstate. Otherwise they are open all the time.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have just pulled the fuse. Purchased my first Corvette last September and quickly installed the NPP switch. I'd turn it on and off throughout the week. There were some days when i didn't like the loud drone. However, after a few months, I became POSSESSED by the sound of it and now leave it open 24/7. Anyone else?
Well know, let's see. The first thing we know about you is that you are a totally inconsiderate neighbor and citizen. The second thing we know about you is that you seek peer approval of your irresponsible juvenile behavior. Not getting it from me guy.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
ZX-6r
Pro

had mine open......wasn't obnoxious enough. bought the BULLETS

lets see how things go

lets see if im deaf by 22
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I keep mine open mostly all the time, but usually closed when on the interstate at speed...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM
tran03
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the M2W switch on my Z and I have it installed in the zero drain method; even though I drive my Z daily.

As part of the zero drain method, it goes to "open" when the car is turned off so it will start "open".

Like many of you, I leave it open except:

a) On the interstate (drone can get annoying)
b) Trying to carry a conversation (if I have a passenger)
c) After a long day at work (don't need a bigger headache)

For those new people reading this thread, I would really look into the new M2W mod that routs to your lock/unlock button instead of a remote, very cool
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
DASHZNT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok.. I had Corsa Xtremes on my last C6, now I have a new one with NPP and would like t do what you did so I can experience the difference. Where is this fuse to pull that you speak of? Also a photo would be nice too if possible, Thank You.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHZNT
Ok.. I had Corsa Xtremes on my last C6, now I have a new one with NPP and would like t do what you did so I can experience the difference. Where is this fuse to pull that you speak of? Also a photo would be nice too if possible, Thank You.
Pull down the flap on the dash end of the passenger floorboard. Fuse is extreme lower right, see photo. There should be a little plastic fuse puller attached to the box.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Mine has been open virtually since the 3rd day after I picked up the car from the Museum, which was some 53 months ago. Still on original battery, and have never used a CTEK during the winter months.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by tran03
I have the M2W switch on my Z and I have it installed in the zero drain method; even though I drive my Z daily.

As part of the zero drain method, it goes to "open" when the car is turned off so it will start "open".

Like many of you, I leave it open except:

a) On the interstate (drone can get annoying)
b) Trying to carry a conversation (if I have a passenger)
c) After a long day at work (don't need a bigger headache)

For those new people reading this thread, I would really look into the new M2W mod that routs to your lock/unlock button instead of a remote, very cool
Thanks for the mention!

The new controller you are talking about is the new Exhaust Commander Elite from Sunset Orange Creations.

It turns your Corvette keyfob and door lock button into an NPP exhaust controller!

Mode changes even display in the DIC and/or HUD for 2 seconds letting you know what mode your switched to!

We have a trade in program for people who want to upgrade to the new controller who already have an old style controller. All the sale details are in the the thread below.

Check out the thread and video!

Thread: ---> Exhaust Commander Elite

If you have any questions, let us know!

www.exhaustcommander.com

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 05-13-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Brady Kohuth
Instructor

Mine is open all the time period ! The only time I fool with it,is when I'm trying to explain to someone how the NPP worked before and after. I for one like the open exhaust,open road,city,people in the car,doesn't matter. Heck,if I could run open headers,I would !!

Get notified of new replies

To Stopped Using NPP Switch

Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 AM
steig
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 197 Posts

Mine is Open all the time. Also installed M2W switch, could of just pulled fuse. Cool to show people how it works.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

My car came with a radio, which I often like to listen to. At the right (wrong?) speeds, the open-valve drone makes that nearly impossible.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I've demoed several cars with the NPP exhaust enabled, but never bypassed. Honestly, I'm not that impressed with the tone once they open up above 3500 RPM. My question is this: with the valves open at lower RPMs all the time, do you get burbles and pops on decel? I love that sound on my C5Z with headers and GHL catbacks. I'm considering buying a new C6 GS with NPP and I'm wondering if I'll be happy with the tone simply pulling the fuse, or if I'll need to think about buying a catback system to get my burble fix.

Quick Reply: Stopped Using NPP Switch