C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Key Fob Battery Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,187 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Will the car start when #2 is IN the slot?

Did you try flipping #1 right to left (it only fits one way). The manual shows which way.

Sometimes, the simplest things are the most obvious, and I'm guilty of overlooking the obvious regularly.

The car should start when the fob is in the slot, even without a battery installed in it, so it may very well be that the fob is bad. Especially since you didn't get any warning before it quit.

Let us know what happens.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Will the car start when #2 is IN the slot?

Did you try flipping #1 right to left (it only fits one way). The manual shows which way.

Sometimes, the simplest things are the most obvious, and I'm guilty of overlooking the obvious regularly.

The car should start when the fob is in the slot, even without a battery installed in it, so it may very well be that the fob is bad. Especially since you didn't get any warning before it quit.

Let us know what happens.

After the battery change in FOB #1, it will unlock the car and start the car from my pocket but WILL NOT start the car from the slot in the glove box. FOB #2 that is new will start the car from the the slot. Since #2 works I must be inserting it correct.

I just added my concern with FOB #1 to

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1584960588

I hope there is some way to reprogram FOB 1 only

Last edited by Arkay; 09-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM
owc6
Team Owner

There is this thread which shows steps to program both fobs w/o taking it to the dealer.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...a-key-fob.html

However, it doesn't seem that #1 is UNprogrammed if it will start the car when it's not in the slot. Not a technical type, just trying to help with what little common sense I still have left.

eta: I see you found a thread with directions.

Last edited by owc6; 09-19-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

This is an update on how the problem was resolved. I carried the car back to the dealership and it was strange to them too that FOB #1 would start the car from my pocket but would not start the car from the glove box slot. Normal programming as describe in the manual in this forum would not work. They had to use the Tech II tool set to reprogram FOB #1. It was not easy but they got it done.

I learned something today that FOB 1 and 2 are masters and control settings that cannot be done with add on FOB's #3 and #4. If you lose FOB #1, the replacement will have to be done by the dealership or someone with a Tech II. I am not sure what is 'blessed' about FOB #1 but it is the master.

Mine is now working normal-normal
Old 09-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Airstream87
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many Thanks to all who provided advice, used the thumb nail trick to open both FOB's for my 08. One was completely dead and the dealer told me battery was good when I asked them to check, they wanted $200. to look at both FOB's and car.
I just slid my thumb nail down each side, swaping side to side going down to bottom. Both FOB's popped open, used tooth pick to remove battery, replaced it, and then carefully snapped them close.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 PM
klinger
Cruising

Best tool for changing battery - Small jewelers screw driver
Old Jeweler. New Corvette owner.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Has anyone discovered a source for a '08+ replacement case? I've been using the #2 ever since my #1 broke several years ago while changing batteries and can't even be fixed with glue. Dealers have no method to order the case without the internals and I'm not interested in paying well over $100 for that fragile piece of plastic.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:05 PM
dalden
3rd Gear

If you try to change the battery in fob for 2008-2013. Be extremely careful as it will break very easily.
I took mine to the Battery Plus store they wouldn’t touch it. So took it to the GM dealer the guy in parts dept. wouldn’t touch it either. They found in guy in service that would do it but he wanted to be released from all responsibility if it broke. I agreed and it broke as he was trying to get it apart. So just be careful.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dalden
If you try to change the battery in fob for 2008-2013. Be extremely careful as it will break very easily.
I took mine to the Battery Plus store they wouldn’t touch it. So took it to the GM dealer the guy in parts dept. wouldn’t touch it either. They found in guy in service that would do it but he wanted to be released from all responsibility if it broke. I agreed and it broke as he was trying to get it apart. So just be careful.
Sorry to hear yours broke. I wonder if you have the old or new style key fob? My car called for the new style but I have the old style and changing the battery was not a big deal. I purchased a new battery from Battery Plus and installed i myself. They wanted $7.50 to replace the battery. Something tells me you may have the new style that may be harder to open.

Last edited by Arkay; 10-29-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I had to replace my battery, but since the little button thingy on the side that releases the key was broken off (common problem, I think), I had to go to the local Radio Shack and have the girl behind the counter push a small screwdriver into the hole where the button should be while I pulled on the key end of the fob. The key did come out and the moment was good for both of us.
Now, if I could just get my hands on a good push button and have them manufactured by the local injection molding guy, I know I could sell a ton of 'em at about $7.50/pc.
I don't know what I will do out on the road if I ever need to get into the car and don't have a jeweler's screwdriver with me.
Hmm...now I know the pic of my 'Vette was there a minute ago. Where it went, I know not.

Last edited by RobJoy; 11-07-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Pic of my 'Vette not shown.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Now, I'm curious about the release "button," How often do you all push it/take the key out of the fob?

I did it on both fobs before I left the dealer when I bought it and have not done it but once or twice since. I lost a fob, and after the key was cut, I made sure it worked.

Do people think this is the coolest thing ever and just pull it out and admire it, or what?

This is not a sarcastic post, I really am just wondering about why these fobs are considered so fragile.

lisa
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Maybe you keep your fob in a different place than most guys. It seems they get banged around in the pocket maybe against coins or whatever, but it does seem the push button is a little too fragile.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:03 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Well, I'm not in the habit of pulling out everything I admire, but, it does seem the push button is a little too fragile when the fob is carried in the pocket with change, etc.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Not quite sure why folks are using other methods to open their 2008-2013 key fobs... the post below is far and away the easiest I've encountered. Pretty sure it's the way it is meant to be done.

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
I see in the 2014 Corvette OM where they show using the key portion to open the case for battery replacement ... I replace our batteries last spring and it wasn't easy getting the case open.

I tried it on one of my 2010 FOB's this morning and it works like a charm!!

2014 OM

2010 OM
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

lisa
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 AM
RobJoy
Pro

That's good instruction.
Say, you wouldn't happen to have one of those little fragile plastic buttons I could use to fix my case to release the key, would you? THEN I would be able to pry the case apart per instructions.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I just came across this fob thread and now realize I am not the only one that had a problem replacing the fob battery. My 2010 GS gave me the dreaded message last summer, I was finally able to start the car, drove home, got my other car, and purchased a new 2032 battery. Then the hard part, trying to open the fob case, and worse closing it without breaking it. Finally got it done, but the edge does have minor scratches which I can live with.
Worse, I have a C7 on order for Spring delivery, and I found out it is using the same #%^% fob!
I cannot believe they redesigned the C7 and kept the same fob at least for 2014.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob Battery Replacement DIY

Old 12-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

The enemy of good is better. I am happy with the old style FOB. It is easy to change the battery and mine have had a few trips in the washing machine. I don't think the new (better) style could pass the unplanned washing machine test.

The hard part for me was getting used to carrying my keys in my left pocket to stop the three horn beeps. I have been carrying keys in my right pocket forever and it is a hard habit to brake.

Merry Christmas to all on the CF
Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkay
The enemy of good is better. I am happy with the old style FOB. It is easy to change the battery and mine have had a few trips in the washing machine. I don't think the new (better) style could pass the unplanned washing machine test.

The hard part for me was getting used to carrying my keys in my left pocket to stop the three horn beeps. I have been carrying keys in my right pocket forever and it is a hard habit to brake.

Merry Christmas to all on the CF
Suggestion, when I wear jeans, I put the fob in my small jean pocket, perfect snug fit and then I do not have to worry about the buttons being accidently pressed.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by harry2
Suggestion, when I wear jeans, I put the fob in my small jean pocket, perfect snug fit and then I do not have to worry about the buttons being accidently pressed.
That is still on the right side. If I keep the FOB in my right side pocket the horn honks three times when I get out of the car. The C6 detects the keys are still in the car. By moving the FOB to my left pocket the horn does not beep three times on exit.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Battery Replacement DIY