C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,191 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
well of course i had to run outside and check the settings and all is correct.
What do have have enabled on the "Route Options" screen?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:19 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It's labeled "Route Options". It's quite possible that freeways are not enabled; in such case, the system is going to come up with some pretty strange routes.
I can almost guarantee your route options are set up to "avoid" certain main roads thus the reason you're being diverted from the main route.

The NAV is antiquated but it works fairly well once you get your options right.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:33 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 309 Likes on 199 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Soon the company who is making the harness for Kenwood(Idatalink) will be flying down from Montreal to my place and we will be writing the software using my new 2012 GS Vert for the test car.
In my conversations with them I have told them we want to retain all stock features in HUD directionals, BT, USB, SW controls and Sat Radio.
They tell me this will not be a problem.
So we shall soon see
Count me in if it works on my OEM 08 Vert. I travel alot and I'm tired of bringing my portable garmin with me.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Count me in if it works on my OEM 08 Vert. I travel alot and I'm tired of bringing my portable garmin with me.
it willl

If you or anyone who wants to be added to our contact list to email when these packages will be ready to order just send info to
Devan@doubledmods.com
Devan has a file started with a list of over 100 people waiting patiently for us to tell them its time to install a new Kenwood

Just give her your name, email and phone number for us to contact you with updated shipping times

We can do your 08 Vert now if you wanted. We would need to add separate controls for the SW and Sat radio portion and no HUD features will be retained. I have units instock and more coming in with Kenwood shipping more units this week.

Call me as well if you want more info on this.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:46 AM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C7 Nav will be out soon
Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
C7 will have a all new NAV system. Guess GM got the message. I know that doesn't help much now. I will say that Garmin functions very well and yearly upgrades if you want them are easy to down load. I upgrade maps every three years or so and last up grade cost around $50. Some units come with free map upgrades for life. Isn't hind sight great.
My Garmin 40LM(which I paid $85 for at Best Buy) allows me to update with new maps four times a year, for free. The factory NAV only has a yearly update that costs over twice what I paid for my Garmin.

The factory NAV was $1750 in my Z06. As far as warrenty is concerned, I can buy 20 NEW Garmins for the price of the factory NAV. Does anyone really believe that I will go through 20 Garmins in 3 years(length of GM warranty). My old Garmin(6+ years old) still works perfect, but I purchased a new one because I could get it(with lifetime free map updates) for $5 less then paying Garmin for lifetime map updates on my old unit, plus the new Garmin has a larger screen plus a bunch of new features that my old Garmin dosen't. I can buy two new Garmins every year for what it costs to get one annual map update disc for the factory NAV
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM
HOTXFIL
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Give me a little bit more time and we will have the new Kenwood harness release so we can put in a Kenwood NAV unit. Kenwood uses Garmin Nav
The best part is I am told we will be able to retain the HUD portion too
Yes, please. That is EXACTLY what I want. My factory nav doesn't seem to know that the road it wants to take me down to get to my house does not exist.

When I go on a road trip, I take my Garmin. Way better navigation, AND it gives me traffic data, speed trap and camera info, etc.

My CELL phone offers better nav than the POS in my Z.

Not to mention that any factory nav that can't be updated simple and inexpensively is a minus, not a plus.

Last edited by HOTXFIL; 10-28-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 126 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

It's all in the settings and the locale. If you are in the country you may not have many choices.

When you want to go a good distance and know the major arteries you will almost always know a better way to get to general area you are looking for. That's where things start to get fuzzy and that is when a Nav system works best. If it told you to take the low road rather than the high road you wouldn't know the difference having never been there before.

The second time you go you go based on the way the Nav told you the first time guess what, low and behold you get to your destination. Enjoy the drive you're in your Vette.

GPS is all about getting there in its best judgement not yours. Be thankful for technology. It always gets better with time.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

The OEM NAV sucks plain and simple. Set up is not intutitive, the graphics look like they came from a 28 Bit Atari system.

Can it be made to work with the various settings…I guess so, if you like reading stereo instructions. The best and most successful electronics and software systems are easy to figure out and use…this one is not.

IMO it is the biggest disappointment I have with the C6 (of course I did not buy the car for the NAV), but in a $60K plus car, GM has to do better than this….hopefully the C7 will have a much needed NAV improvement.

Till then, I’ll use my $100 Garmin and wait till DD Mods gest the new harness and Kenwood sorted (or maybe the new iPod Mini) and dump the OEM head unit.

What a piece of crap!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What do have have enabled on the "Route Options" screen?
like i said before i checked all the options menu and every thing is set correct. i checked the user settings and everything is correct. its set to allow everything; meaning the four different options it gives you are all set to on. when i started this thread i wanted solid research and facts to back me up and i did with the use of the garmin in harmony with the oem unit. i think i proved MY point and found the oem unit is not up to task.
THIS WEEK I WILL RUN SOME NEW TEST TO SEE HOW ON STAR MATCHES UP WITH THE OEM NAV. DON'T FORGET YOU CAN PROGRAM BOTH SYSTEMS AT ONCE (THEY RUN INDEPENDENT OF EACH OTHER AND YOU GET TWO DIFFERENT VOICE GUIDANCE VOICES AT THE SAME TIME, I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE BY MISTAKE FOR I FORGOT TO CANCEL ONE OF THE ROUTES). ALSO FROM WHAT I GATHER FROM PREVIOUS USE THE ON STAR SYSTEM IS ALSO SUPERIOR TO THE OEM NAV UNIT. TEST TO COME THIS WEEK. WILL POST A NEW UPDATE ON THE SUBJECT WHEN I GET CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
cheakster
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soon the company who is making the harness for Kenwood(Idatalink) will be flying down from Montreal to my place and we will be writing the software using my new 2012 GS Vert for the test car.
In my conversations with them I have told them we want to retain all stock features in HUD directionals, BT, USB, SW controls and Sat Radio.
They tell me this will not be a problem.
So we shall soon see
OK I'm in line!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,351 Likes on 1,679 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
like i said before i checked all the options menu and every thing is set correct. i checked the user settings and everything is correct. its set to allow everything; meaning the four different options it gives you are all set to on. when i started this thread i wanted solid research and facts to back me up and i did with the use of the garmin in harmony with the oem unit. i think i proved MY point and found the oem unit is not up to task.
THIS WEEK I WILL RUN SOME NEW TEST TO SEE HOW ON STAR MATCHES UP WITH THE OEM NAV. DON'T FORGET YOU CAN PROGRAM BOTH SYSTEMS AT ONCE (THEY RUN INDEPENDENT OF EACH OTHER AND YOU GET TWO DIFFERENT VOICE GUIDANCE VOICES AT THE SAME TIME, I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE BY MISTAKE FOR I FORGOT TO CANCEL ONE OF THE ROUTES). ALSO FROM WHAT I GATHER FROM PREVIOUS USE THE ON STAR SYSTEM IS ALSO SUPERIOR TO THE OEM NAV UNIT. TEST TO COME THIS WEEK. WILL POST A NEW UPDATE ON THE SUBJECT WHEN I GET CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE.

If you have the 4 option routes on, that's why you are getting the long route.
If you want the fastest route, using the freeways, just select toll highways, nothing else. If there are no freeways on your route, it will then give you the next major highway, etc.

That's what I have selected, and it always works for me.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,191 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
If you want the fastest route, using the freeways, just select toll highways, nothing else. If there are no freeways on your route, it will then give you the next major highway, etc.

Though it seems a little counter intuitive, this method seems to work.

It's interesting to me how for some people here, the system works fine yet to others it's a piece of garbage. It's clearly one of the most polarizing features of the C6.

Last edited by mpuzach; 10-28-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

ALL navigation units have faults. My Garmin based NAV sent me on a shorter route last night but it took longer to get there since I followed the interstate for 2 exits.

That is why I usually read a map the night before, know where I'm going before I get there.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:24 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Though it seems a little counter intuitive, this method seems to work.

It's interesting to me how for some people here, the system works fine yet to others it's a pice of garbage. It's clearly one of the most polarizing features of the C6.
No, the SEATS are the most polarizing!

They should just make a tablet niche so you can put your own touch device in there and provide blue-tooth steering wheel controls. Maybe this would avoid the technology problem.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KFehling
I participated in the museum caravan a few years ago and the factory nav got me to each hotel along the way (started in CA) but then failed to find the museum. You would think of all places, it would be able to find this place.

Dennis, I have been meaning to call you about replacing it so I am excited to hear about this upcoming Kenwood unit. I will call soon to discuss further.

Kurt
Classic, you just made me laugh pertaining it couldn't find the museum.

Get notified of new replies

To Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..

Old 10-28-2012, 02:43 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

On a recent trip from New Orleans to North Little Rock I found that the OEM Nav was more accurate than both my Garmin and MS Streets & Trips that I loaded onto my laptop with a GPS receiver. On a 5 mile trip from my hotel to a restaurant I got three different routes from three different devices. The only route that got us to the restaurant was the factory Nav. The other two led to dead ends. This could have been embarrassing as I had 31 cars behind me!

BobD
Old 10-28-2012, 03:02 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I've been waiting on this for a while now.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:08 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

ok ran outside and did what you said and it still gave me the exact same 9 turn route to work when there are only 2 turns. believe me when i tell you in the last week i have tried everything and nothing works. all crappy routes. when i am fully done testing the oem nav against the garmin for the use of accurate routes i will post. mind you i am not doing this to say one brand is better than the other. i am just using the garmin as a second opinion for the same routes i program using the oem nav as the garmin is the only second source of portable gps i have.

Last edited by red2012; 10-28-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..