C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,351 Likes on 1,679 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
ok ran outside and did what you said and it still gave me the exact same 9 turn route to work when there are only 2 turns. believe me when i tell you in the last week i have tried everything and nothing works. all crappy routes. when i am fully done testing the oem nav against the garmin for the use of accurate routes i will post. mind you i am not doing this to say one brand is better than the other. i am just using the garmin as a second opinion for the same routes i program using the oem nav.
You gave it the old college try, I'll give you that

Hopefully you can get something that will work for you

GL
Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
it willl

If you or anyone who wants to be added to our contact list to email when these packages will be ready to order just send info to
Devan@doubledmods.com
Devan has a file started with a list of over 100 people waiting patiently for us to tell them its time to install a new Kenwood
What model Kenwood so I can research specs?
How good is the FM receiver?
How long does it take to boot?
IS the wiring harness setup to work on non nav cars?

I ask because I bought what was supposed to be Kenwoods best for my 82 Vette & I hated it from day one, but could not return it.
That was $330 wasted.

I will send an email anyway as the thought of not having to use my iphone & Tom Tom (no place to put phone to see properly & my Tom Tom, which I've not seen mentioned, has never steered me wrong) intrigues me.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by butchn

I ask because I bought what was supposed to be Kenwoods best for my 82 Vette & I hated it from day one, but could not return it.
That was $330 wasted.

I will send an email anyway as the thought of not having to use my iphone & Tom Tom (no place to put phone to see properly & my Tom Tom, which I've not seen mentioned, has never steered me wrong) intrigues me.
any one of the kenwood dnx series ending in 90 will do for retaining the factory functions in a c6 when the new maestro harness comes out. but for your '82 any dnx series will work fine.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:21 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by butchn

That was $330 wasted.

All DNX NAV units
DNX 5190
DNX 6190HD
DNX 6990HD
DNX 7190HD
DNX 9990HD

The 6990 and 9990 are the two I would select from as these are eXcelon units that have 2 year warranty versus 1 on the other models.

We are 100% fully online authorized Kenwood dealers as well
Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Ozarkwoods
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me a little bit more time and we will have the new Kenwood harness release so we can put in a Kenwood NAV unit. Kenwood uses Garmin Nav
The best part is I am told we will be able to retain the HUD portion too

Will that harness work for the all C6 models?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Ozarkwoods
Will that harness work for the all C6 models?
yes it will once we are done
Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
You gave it the old college try, I'll give you that

Hopefully you can get something that will work for you

GL
THANKS; but im not done yet;eventually i will have all info regarding the oem nav posted. I will at least have fact based studies done instead of just my opinion and saying yea the oem nav sucks. all posts will be findings from one gps compared to the oem nav and we'll see how the routes compare. Just a little fun and some informative info. hopefully i can get my results posted in a week.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
C3bdj1
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

My Grandpa said:
"A poor workman always blames the tools."
Perhaps this is true...but, in my opinion the OEM Nav is worthless and GM is asking me to drive a nail with a wrench. Who is to blame in that situation? LOL

Originally Posted by JKbride
The OEM NAV sucks plain and simple. Set up is not intutitive, the graphics look like they came from a 28 Bit Atari system.

Can it be made to work with the various settings…I guess so, if you like reading stereo instructions. The best and most successful electronics and software systems are easy to figure out and use…this one is not.

IMO it is the biggest disappointment I have with the C6 (of course I did not buy the car for the NAV), but in a $60K plus car, GM has to do better than this….hopefully the C7 will have a much needed NAV improvement.

Till then, I’ll use my $100 Garmin and wait till DD Mods gest the new harness and Kenwood sorted (or maybe the new iPod Mini) and dump the OEM head unit.

What a piece of crap!

Bobby
Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Dennis do you have a rough time frame when this harness will be available?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Dennis do you have a rough time frame when this harness will be available?
I will find out more this week. I have a meeting with Kenwood on Wed at SEMA and we will go from there.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,381 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C3bdj1
Perhaps this is true...but, in my opinion the OEM Nav is worthless and GM is asking me to drive a nail with a wrench. Who is to blame in that situation? LOL
If you find it difficult to learn (non-intuitive), then I agree. It takes some study and experience to get good results.

If you find it worthless, you're doing something wrong.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You can expect strange things to happen when you rely solely on a GPS system for navigation to strange places.

I've traveled to almost every State in the US, but I took my Garmin, an Atlas, a laptop to access Googlemaps or Mapquest, individual State maps, picked up local special maps along the way, and I have still had to ask local people for directions that are also sometimes wrong.

You can't have too much navigational information.

Nothing is foolproof, including the driver.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Jim maybe you could give me some pointers on my on going experiment. it seems i have the settings on all the proper settings for easy travel. i dont need poi's or anything of that nature i just want to go from A-B. i just want to go on 5-10 mile routes that i have used my entire life and compare those findings to my garmin gps and see the difference. i don't think i am doing any thing wrong on the oem nav and the findings so far have been vastly different from the garmin, FOR THE WORST. Any help to conclude my studies (if you can think of any) would be appreciated. RON
Old 10-28-2012, 04:57 PM
C3bdj1
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

If you find it difficult to learn (non-intuitive), then I agree. It takes some study and experience to get good results.

I agree with you Jim. I have not put a lot of effort into learning about the system because it is difficult to learn (non-intuitive). So I shouldn't use the word "worthless".

I use a Magellen for work, and I travel approximately 1500 miles a week. Learning to use it was very easy. Learning to use the GM unit is not.

Bobby
Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Jim maybe you could give me some pointers on my on going experiment. it seems i have the settings on all the proper settings for easy travel. i dont need poi's or anything of that nature i just want to go from A-B. i just want to go on 5-10 mile routes that i have used my entire life and compare those findings to my garmin gps and see the difference. i don't think i am doing any thing wrong on the oem nav and the findings so far have been vastly different from the garmin, FOR THE WORST. Any help to conclude my studies (if you can think of any) would be appreciated. RON
As others have mentioned, there are settings you can customize for how the unit will make the route. Go to Navigation Settings> User Settings; after that go to Navigation Settings> Route Preferences.
Note that nearly everything in the nav system can/must be customized for both fob #1 and fob #2.

After you enter the destination and it presents the suggested route, I always push "3 Routes" to see what the other choices are. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes just different.

You can modify the route your C6 nav has chosen, but normally I don't bother- if I don't like what it chose, I just drive "visually" until the system re-routes in a more logical way. The GPS gives suggestions, not orders.

All nav units sometimes provide goofy routings. Our C6 nav takes me significantly out of my way to drive the 10 miles to my former office, and nothing will make it provide a better route. But it does a nice job of routing to where our daughter used to work, while our Garmins took us on a tour of the countryside when set for her place.

CF member talon90 is the real expert on C6 nav, he also has written a very good tutorial which is on his website. If you download that into your laptop and spend a few hours in your parked car going through it (don't kill the battery!), you'll be amazed at all the things this unit can do. But there is no denying that it takes time and work to understand.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C3bdj1
I agree with you Jim. I have not put a lot of effort into learning about the system because it is difficult to learn (non-intuitive). So I shouldn't use the word "worthless".

I use a Magellen for work, and I travel approximately 1500 miles a week. Learning to use it was very easy. Learning to use the GM unit is not.

Bobby
If the Magellen is working right for you, that's the unit to use!

No nav system is perfect (see post #14), I've tried them all and have gotten both good and bad results from each. For my situation, the factory nav works pretty well and is what I prefer. But your situation is bound to be different from mine.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
red9r
Instructor

Will the harness give us non-HUD/non-Bose car owners the option to add a HUD?

Get notified of new replies

To Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..

Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
At the risk of agreeing to disagree, I use mine quite often and have had no issues with it. I also have a portable Magellan (the latest most advanced with 7" screen) and a 2012 Mercedes with a factory NAV system in it and neither one holds an advantage over the NAV in my Corvette. Not the most user-friendly unit, but I took the time to read the manual and all the tutorials on this forum and I found that if I input it correctly, it will work just fine. Your choice, but I think I'd give it a few more , maybe you'll warm up to it, better than spending another $700-1,000 to replace it.
I agree completly. I have close to 8K miles on my car todate exploring my new state of AZ. When ever I have used the nav it has worked fine.
I do not think it is as easy to use as the Garmin but it does the job.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:02 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

in the last week i took 5 different trips in my '12 coupe varying from 5-20 miles in length on routes i know like the back of my hand and have been traveling all my life. but every time i also took my garmin nuvi with me and used it also. every F*& n time the oem nav took me on routes i never knew even existed and was basically useless. the garmin was dead on accurate every trip and used the exact same roads i did. how can anybody defend this piece of crap oem nav unit! i could see once or twice, but every time? I used to be somewhat of a fan because i got to use the HUD with it but after this week i proved my point because its getting to be very annoying. it seems like it goes out of its way to take you out of your way!
C7 will have the next Gen Nav. Hang in there.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe you have a point that I am doing something wrong. But lets consider this. Many of us have been using computers for many years. I have had a computer for 20 yrs and a Tom Tom for 5-6 yrs. When PC's 1st came out, there were various programs & OS's which competed in the market place. The ones which were the most intuitive came to the forefront and the clunky ones which lacked intuition with a larger learning curve went by the wayside. Today,there is a similarity in the operation of most devices whether they be phones, computers, tablets, or navigation devices. This similarity makes for familiarity which allows for somewhat easy transition between devices.

This does not seem to be the case with the OEM Navi in the Corvette. IMO, this is unacceptable in a world where intuitive computing is the norm rather than the exception in most cases.

Fortunately, I did not buy my Vette new and did not pay the $1500-2000k for the option. But if I had, I'd be extremely unhappy

You may be correct in that I need to read the manual to get the best from the OEM navi. And I will take your advice and do so. But, I don't think I should have to do so except to fine tune some minor issues which I might not understand.

All that said, I should probably thank you and others here for giving me hope that the Navi is useful and usable with some amount of instruction, trial and error.

Quick Reply: Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..