C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..

in the last week i took 5 different trips in my '12 coupe varying from 5-20 miles in length on routes i know like the back of my hand and have been traveling all my life. but every time i also took my garmin nuvi with me and used it also. every F*& n time the oem nav took me on routes i never knew even existed and was basically useless. the garmin was dead on accurate every trip and used the exact same roads i did. how can anybody defend this piece of crap oem nav unit! i could see once or twice, but every time? I used to be somewhat of a fan because i got to use the HUD with it but after this week i proved my point because its getting to be very annoying. it seems like it goes out of its way to take you out of your way!

Last edited by red2012; 10-27-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by red2012
in the last week i took 5 different trips in my '12 coupe varying from 5-20 miles in length on routes i know like the back of my hand and have been traveling all my life. but every time i also took my garmin nuvi with me and used it also. every F*& n time the oem nav took me on routes i never knew even existed and was basically useless. the garmin was dead on accurate every trip and used the exact same roads i did. how can anybody defend this piece of crap oem nav unit! i could see once or twice, but every time? I used to be somewhat of a fan because i got to use the HUD with it but after this week i proved my point because its getting to be very annoying.

Give me a little bit more time and we will have the new Kenwood harness release so we can put in a Kenwood NAV unit. Kenwood uses Garmin Nav
The best part is I am told we will be able to retain the HUD portion too
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I use the Garmin over the factory NAV in my Z06, but the Garmin is not correct all the time. On a recent trip, I followed it's directions to exit the Interstate, so far so good. Then it said go 2.2 miles to the motel. I went about a 1/4 mile and passed my motel on the left. Later I wanted to go to Walmart. I followed the Garmin. After leaving the motel, it said Walmart was on the right, so I got in the right lane. The Garmin said turn right. I did. No Walmart there. Walmart was across the street.

But, over all I like the Garmin better.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Give me a little bit more time and we will have the new Kenwood harness release so we can put in a Kenwood NAV unit. Kenwood uses Garmin Nav
The best part is I am told we will be able to retain the HUD portion too
FINALLY, THANK GOD! DENNIS we have spoken before on the forum and i was waiting for you to post this info. in my last car i had the DNX 5140 and it was the best nav i have seen to date. a moron (me) could use it and it was lightning fast(on the nav part). all n all kenwood makes a great dnx series of nav and audio units and in my mind blows away the oem nav units.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:06 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

FINALLY, THANK GOD! DENNIS we have spoken before on the forum and i was waiting for you to post this info. in my last car i had the DNX 5140 and it was the best nav i have seen to date. a moron (me) could use it and it was lightning fast(on the nav part). all n all kenwood makes a great dnx series of nav and audio units and in my mind blows away the oem nav units.
Soon the company who is making the harness for Kenwood(Idatalink) will be flying down from Montreal to my place and we will be writing the software using my new 2012 GS Vert for the test car.
In my conversations with them I have told them we want to retain all stock features in HUD directionals, BT, USB, SW controls and Sat Radio.
They tell me this will not be a problem.
So we shall soon see
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Have you checked the settings of your factory nav system? From what you describe, it sounds as though your selected route options may be messing things up for you. It's worth a look.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the last week i took 5 different trips in my '12 coupe varying from 5-20 miles in length on routes i know like the back of my hand and have been traveling all my life. but every time i also took my garmin nuvi with me and used it also. every F*& n time the oem nav took me on routes i never knew even existed and was basically useless. the garmin was dead on accurate every trip and used the exact same roads i did. how can anybody defend this piece of crap oem nav unit! i could see once or twice, but every time? I used to be somewhat of a fan because i got to use the HUD with it but after this week i proved my point because its getting to be very annoying. it seems like it goes out of its way to take you out of your way!
This review of the factory NAV unit is consistent with those posted on this Forum for years. What good is a HUD unit that displays inaccurate information? Kind of like an extra-cost Bose sound system that has no highs and no lows, or Vette models/options whose tires wear out in no time at all and which are dangerous in wet or cool conditions. Buyers, spend a little time investigating before purchasing; the information on this Forum is absolutely priceless.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use my factory nav often and used it on numerous long trips with the longest being a two week 5k trip out west. It was almost always close if not right on.
Granted, at times it will tell you the target is on the left when it is on the right but my Lincoln MKX and Cadillac SRX do that occasionally too.

I agree with mpuzach; to check your settings.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't think of anything more useless than the OEM Navi. I've had zero success using it so far. I've only had my Vette for 1 1/2 months so I thought it was a learning curve at 1st. But I came to realize it is total junk. I'd love to find a good mount for my Tom Tom which makes it usable but puts it out of the way. But wasn't that the idea behind the built in navi?
Now to the cd player.I have a lot of CD's burned using the FLAC codec. They play in my 96 Dodge Ram, my 06 Avalon, my 5-6 yr old $100 boom box. But They DON'T play in my 07 Corvette!!Yes, I know it plays MP3. But I'm also an audiophile who doesn't listen to MP3's. Fortunately, I have XM radio which generally keeps me satisfied. (Yes, they use MP3's)
I know its a sports car and I should be listening to the engine. And when I run the Snake or the Dragon, I do. But its fun to listen to the music on the way there.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Have you checked the settings of your factory nav system? From what you describe, it sounds as though your selected route options may be messing things up for you. It's worth a look.
or you talking about when it says QUICK, NORMAL OR SHORT or something like that. I'VE tried them all on the same route and they all give me these wild routes. the best is when i go to work and use it just for the fun. my job is all highway, 17mi from my house and basically a direct route. it tells me the same 17mi but the route is vastly different than the route i always use. it doesn't even use the hiway, its that different and absurd.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

or you talking about when it says QUICK, NORMAL OR SHORT or something like that. I'VE tried them all on the same route and they all give me these wild routes. the best is when i go to work and use it just for the fun. my job is all highway, 17mi from my house and basically a direct route. it tells me the same 17mi but the route is vastly different than the route i always use. it doesn't even use the hiway, its that different and absurd.
Go into the Navigation set up or user preferences (can't remember how it is labeled; it a couple of screens after you select menu) and check the route preferences. If not checked properly they can have an effect on the route selected.

Worth checking.

You might also want to check this out as it answers a lot of questions about the nav:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rough-5-a.html

Last edited by Slider-01; 10-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea i agree oem fac nav total piece of crap i don't even use it anymore use my nav on my droid....
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM
KFehling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Factory Nav

I participated in the museum caravan a few years ago and the factory nav got me to each hotel along the way (started in CA) but then failed to find the museum. You would think of all places, it would be able to find this place.

Dennis, I have been meaning to call you about replacing it so I am excited to hear about this upcoming Kenwood unit. I will call soon to discuss further.

Kurt
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,374 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We have almost 100k miles of driving a C6 all over the U.S., with factory nav. We also have two Garmins and two cellphone navs and two other cars with different non-GM navs. Plus, about 20k miles of driving in convoy with other cars using Garmins, TomToms, etc.

The list below is based on our experiences:

C6 NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMPARISONS v 2.0 08-16-2012

If you have a C6 Corvette, there are many different navigation systems you can use to help find your way around the country. After using most of them for a while, here are my observations. All will work, none are perfect. Pick the system that meets your needs:
C6 Factory Nav: Easy to buy, no installation problems, covered by 3/36 and GMPP warranties, projects turn/distance data onto HUD, mutes music for voice directions, many features, continues calculating position for a few minutes if you lose GPS signal, highly theft resistant.
But- expensive to buy/update, repairs not convenient, unless a cutout switch is installed can only enter first page of Previous Destinations + 6 presets while moving, non-intuitive to use, requires mod to install backup camera, early units had no Bluetooth/Ipod, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Aftermarket In-Dash Nav: Cheaper to buy/update, usually easy to use, allows entries while moving, most will accept backup camera, may produce better music, may have other nice feature like traffic/redlight/speed cameras.
But- Requires separate purchase, installation not simple, improper installation can cause other problems, dealers sometimes want to blame any electrical issues on aftermarket unit, shorter warranty, repairs not convenient, no information on HUD, may not mute music, older units may not have Bluetooth/Ipod/voice commands, features/reliability/friendliness vary with brand/model, sometimes more easily stolen, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Garmin, etc: Cheap to buy/update, easy to use, allows entries while moving, portable, easily replaced.
But- Smaller screen, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, needs power wire, shorter warranty, no information on HUD, does not mute music, invites theft/broken windows if left visible, not easily wired to backup camera, can look “cheap”, many do not accept voice commands, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Cellphone Nav: Easy to buy, up to date maps, may be easy to use, allows entries while moving, may have many features.
But- Small screen and keys, no information on HUD, must be removed/replaced from your belt each time you drive/exit, shorter battery life or needs power cord, aftermarket apps may be unreliable/expensive, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, voice directions can be hard to understand and don’t mute music, most won’t work if you don’t have cellphone coverage, after an accident/crime you may not be able to find your phone, invites theft/broken windows if left in car, cellphone use while driving may be illegal, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Paper Map: Cheap, portable, good for trip planning, gives you the “Big Picture”.
But- Usually dangerous to use solo while driving, requires you to determine your current location, scale is usually too big or too small, no POI information, may need to order in advance for long trips.

For us, the C6 factory nav works just as well as any of the others. Last 1,000+ mile trip we took, the other car had far more bad routes and instructions with their Garmin, than we had with the C6 nav.

My Grandpa said:
"A poor workman always blames the tools."

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slider-01
Go into the Navigation set up or user preferences (can't remember how it is labeled; it a couple of screens after you select menu) and check the route preferences. If not checked properly they can have an effect on the route selected.

Worth checking.

You might also want to check this out as it answers a lot of questions about the nag:
well of course i had to run outside and check the settings and all is correct. i even checked the route to work and there is 9 turns on the route, yes 9 when in reality its all highway and two turns. when the maestro harness comes out with all the oem functions kenwood will be the way to go with the 7in screen, dvd player (which is a must for me which i miss in the oem unit ) and of course garmin navigation. like i said in my earlier post the kenwoods play flawlessly, very easy to use and look every bit oem and i have had one in my last car.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

well of course i had to run outside and check the settings and all is correct. i even checked the route to work and there is 9 turns on the route, yes 9 when in reality its all highway and two turns. when the maestro harness comes out with all the oem functions kenwood will be the way to go with the 7in screen, dvd player (which is a must for me which i miss in the oem unit ) and of course garmin navigation. like i said in my earlier post the kenwoods play flawlessly, very easy to use and look every bit oem and i have had one in my last car.
Here is a little info on the Ford SYNC version that was the first release
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

C7 will have a all new NAV system. Guess GM got the message. I know that doesn't help much now. I will say that Garmin functions very well and yearly upgrades if you want them are easy to down load. I upgrade maps every three years or so and last up grade cost around $50. Some units come with free map upgrades for life. Isn't hind sight great.

Get notified of new replies

To Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..

Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 PM
mike1952
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'11-'12-'13

I have had an 05 coupe, an 06 Z, an 07 Ron Fellows, and a 2012 GS with navs and have had no issues other than roads that were added. Obviously the C7 will have 9 year more advanced technology but it also will be locked in until the C8. You need to accept the fact that the technology gets locked in for the series.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

At the risk of agreeing to disagree, I use mine quite often and have had no issues with it. I also have a portable Magellan (the latest most advanced with 7" screen) and a 2012 Mercedes with a factory NAV system in it and neither one holds an advantage over the NAV in my Corvette. Not the most user-friendly unit, but I took the time to read the manual and all the tutorials on this forum and I found that if I input it correctly, it will work just fine. Your choice, but I think I'd give it a few more tries, maybe you'll warm up to it, better than spending another $700-1,000 to replace it.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Slider-01

Worth checking.

You might also want to check this out as it answers a lot of questions about the nav:
It's labeled "Route Options". It's quite possible that freeways are not enabled; in such case, the system is going to come up with some pretty strange routes.

Quick Reply: Did a little test with the factory nav and what bs..