C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Corvette seats are Crap

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's the media's fault
Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Ford John
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Love my 2012 GS Seats Would Like Seat Blower with A/C Climate control

Love my 2012 GS Seats
The only feature is to add a forced ventilation filtered air Seat Blower with A/C Climate control like my wife's new Lincoln.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
I had an epiphany as to why GM has given us under bolstered, pitifully bad track seats for years. A large friend of mine decided to buy a new Porsche, when he discovered he sat on top of the well bolstered seat instead of in it, he purchased a new Corvette. The Corvette better fit his double wide derriere.

Are that many new C6 customers so big, that the rest of us must put up with lousy seats?

I hope GM gets wise and puts adjustable bolsters in the C7 so the rest of us can enjoy a proper seat.
This is characteristic of American cars in general. Americans are by far more obese on average than other countries, and as such our cars are designed around them. Nothing turns of potential buyers faster than simply not being able to fit in a seat comfortably (and let's be honest - a lot of the older guys who can afford new Corvettes are a bit on the heftier side).

Check out the seats in an Evo. I'm 6'1 and 195 pounds and those made me feel fat. You're not going ANYWHERE in those seats. But at the same time, they're not comfortable as a daily driver seat either.

I think Chrysler's SRT seats strike the best balance so far.

Here's a tip for those who want the best of both worlds. Leather is smooth and slick, that's why we like it. But that means it has less grip on us when we're experiencing lateral Gs. If you have Alcantara or suede inserts, those sections will grip you in more, reducing your sliding while not requiring as aggressively bolstered of seats.

Personally, I think the 2012 seats with suede centers are about the best mix. If you got suede shoulders too it'd be even better (Mercedes does this on their AMG cars).
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM
jperaino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 C6 GS and a 2009 CTS-V with the Recaro seats. I must say that trere is no comparison. The Recaro's are far superior and cooled too. Maybe the C7 will offer a Recaro option.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

I find nothing wrong with my seats either. However, I have the 1LT equipment group, and if I remember correctly, those seats are narrower than the higher groups. So my little over 5'9" and 150 lbs frame fits fine.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 PM
grayline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
From what I have been hearing for a long time on this forum, is that people that drive their cars hard or track them don't like the seats. Not enough lateral support to keep their butt from sliding. Those that just drive them as 'regular' cars are (for the most part) just fine with the seats.
Jeez I'm 6'3 230 our GS with 20,123 mil seats are perfect I'm glad Chevrolet Figured out that the Bolsters dont have to be so Defined..... as to make it where you rub off the Leather when you slide into them.....

Reallly Great design!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
From what I have been hearing for a long time on this forum, is that people that drive their cars hard or track them don't like the seats. Not enough lateral support to keep their butt from sliding. Those that just drive them as 'regular' cars are (for the most part) just fine with the seats.
Pretty much the same conclusion that i came to. Easier just to upgrade the seats rather than complain. The people that aren't satisfied with the cars power or braking just upgrade the performance, so upgrade the seats.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grayline
Jeez I'm 6'3 230 our GS with 20,123 mil seats are perfect I'm glad Chevrolet Figured out that the Bolsters dont have to be so Defined..... as to make it where you rub off the Leather when you slide into them.....

Reallly Great design!!!!!!!!!!
With its big brakes and dry-sump, your GS is an excellent track car. If you were to spend a day on the track in your GS (which it was designed for) your opinion of its seats would change.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Freehand
Intermediate

I guess everything is relative. I'm 6'8" tall and weigh 275. I can assure you that my 2013 GS Vert is a hundred times more comfortable than my Harley.

But there's a simple solution. When I'm on the bike I stop every 100 miles, get off and walk around and strech for a few minutes. It doesn't make the trip that much longer.

If I'm taking a long trip in the Vette, I'll do the same thing but not quite as often.

I just wish it was that easy when I have to fly commercially.

Just gotta learn to adapt.

Freehand
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by bgspot
Pretty much the same conclusion that i came to. Easier just to upgrade the seats rather than complain. The people that aren't satisfied with the cars power or braking just upgrade the performance, so upgrade the seats.
New seats are not cheap and this was never a problem in my 350Z that cost 1/2 as much as my Z06........so yes, I am little pissed off.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
ellisjre
Intermediate

Default corvette seats

I enjoy my corvette more than any other sports car--I have had many--the seats in my 2009 are very poorly constructed--bad design--in 11,000 miles they are worn so bad I am replacing at my own expense. But I must say mine are comfortable.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think the seats are fine.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

6'1" and close to 220 lbs. They are "ok" but I wish they would wrap around more so. However, like the OP thinks (I had this SAME conversation with someone else), these seats are made for some chubby sides. And if they wrapped around too far they would hit the fanny packs.

I cant imagine doing track days with them. Plan to find out in the spring though.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Maybe you should buy another Nissan. My previous car was a BMW M3. Magazines raved about the seats. I thought they were too stiff.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

seats got better in the 12/13's...imo, both looks/design and materials...
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by FiremanC6
Maybe you should buy another Nissan. My previous car was a BMW M3. Magazines raved about the seats. I thought they were too stiff.
........or put 350Z seats in the Z06. The Nissan had no *****.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by dvilin
Throw me in the minority pool I too am fine with the seats.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Corvette seats are Crap

Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear people with Porsches and Mercedes whining that there seats are tooo firm.
Only real answer is seat options depending on your size!!!! Not one size fits all...
I like Cerviago (spelled wrong). I am in a wheelchair and every chair is specifically built.
Give them you measurement and have a custom suit. Not off the rack...
Never going to end..... ;-(
Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
I hear people with Porsches and Mercedes whining that there seats are tooo firm.
Only real answer is seat options depending on your size!!!! Not one size fits all...
I like Cerviago (spelled wrong). I am in a wheelchair and every chair is specifically built.
Give them you measurement and have a custom suit. Not off the rack...
Never going to end..... ;-(
Caravaggio
Old 10-28-2012, 11:16 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,830 Posts

FWIW, Recaro sells the Sportster CS aftermarket, which is the same seat you'll find in a lot of import cars with great sport seats, and are likely the seats seen in the spy shots of the C7, or at least very close.

Quick Reply: Why Corvette seats are Crap