C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible purchase of an 06 with 147k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 AM
tdb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Too much money IMO. Got $9k more? Buy my 29k mile car
This makes allot more sence. 9k for 110k less miles is a bargin.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

At $15K it is not a good deal. I would not be interested in a high milage Vette unless I knew the owner and what type of upkeep the vehicle had. Personally, I would be afraid to offer the seller $12k for fear he would jump at it.

No dealer would sell it on their lot, it would be sent to auction. Just by your survey here on the forum you can see that the percentage of people that would buy it is very, very low. Keep saving your $$ and buy a buy one like Never-Enough's.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 AM
fastter
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Audacious Nick
What are you talking about? Go back and read the thread.
I first stated that I hoped he was only asking $17,000. I have plenty of 120,000+ mile vettes being offered at $24,000+. Ridiculous. So I stated that I hoped he was asking that much.
The OP said he OFFERED $17,000, not that the seller was asking that. Obviously he was asking more, though the amount is unknown.
I then responded that I would only offer $15,000.

As you were.

You guys crack me up!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Kbonsig
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
At $15K it is not a good deal. I would not be interested in a high milage Vette unless I knew the owner and what type of upkeep the vehicle had. Personally, I would be afraid to offer the seller $12k for fear he would jump at it.

No dealer would sell it on their lot, it would be sent to auction. Just by your survey here on the forum you can see that the percentage of people that would buy it is very, very low. Keep saving your $$ and buy a buy one like Never-Enough's.

Where do you think cars go from the auction???? DEALER LOTS!

Everyone here seems to be scared about highway miles. Look at my example - I was able to find my cars history and it checked out fine. At 104k im still rolling the first clutch and will be ok dropping $2k on a new one when it happens. It only tells me the car was not beat up if it lasted this long. Get a crated engine new for 6K down the road or one used for even less. If you can own the car outright I doubt you would have to put $600 plus a month into it like a new car payment would be.

Dont be afraid of the high miles if you know the history - although $15k seems to be the fair price IMO. Any mechanic will tell you the car that sits has way more problems then the ones that are driven.

If this is to be used as a 2nd car what do you have to loose?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads
Just two questions: is this car going to sit mostly in your garage and be driven 2K miles (or thereabouts) per year? And, how much money do you have on hand (and are willing to spend) if something major (say $2K or more) goes kaplooey in the first year you own it, again in the second year, more than one major thing in the first year?

If you're all smiles and dollars ready, buy it. If not, and you can afford the price of entry but not if things happen.....well, yhou probably know where I'm going with these questions.

Excellent post!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The cheap purchase price might not be enough to offset the probable repair expenses of a car with 150,000 miles on it. I could see buying it, gutting and modding it for a dedicated track car but for a daily driver I'd pass.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Too bad they don't also keep track of the hours on an engine, like an airplane. Think about a car that is a DD that does a commute in logjam traffic every day, like in metro Los Angeles and silmilar around the country. The hours would be disproportionally large compared to the miles.
Good idea, but I think the car already has something even better- the Oil Life Indicator. It doesn't track time but does track crankshaft revoltuions, temperatures, etc. The same factors that "wear out" the oil, are the ones that wear out the engine. Not an exact correlation, but probably better than anything else we could install.

I write down the Oil Life Remaining at each oil change.
If the car was only driven on long highway trips, the OLI will allow about 15k miles and I'm guessing (engine life is always a guess) that the engine could last for 300k miles total. So each 20% of Oil Life used, could equal about 1% of the total engine life.

Since I would average about 10k miles before the OLI gets down to 0, that predicts a life of 200k miles for my engine. Ask me in a few years...
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kbonsig
Where do you think cars go from the auction???? DEALER LOTS!
IMHO You must be talking about the "Buy here, Pay here" DEALERS. I can 100% guarantee you that no New Car ie; New Chevrolet dealer is going to retail a Vette with 147K. Which means that on any trade they are going to give you less than "wholesale" at best. They may sell it to a used car lot, repair shop, auction, etc. but they are not going to sell it to the public off their lot.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM
jackll
Advanced

I wonder how many of you guys actually work on your cars. As I stated before I have a 96 LT4 with over 158,000 miles. When I bought this car I knew the owner and it had been used to commute to work it had 124,000 miles. At 142,000 miles I pulled the motor and tore it down. The cylinders and crank were not even on the upper end of factory tolerence. I honed the cylinders polished the crank put standard rings and bearings back in it. I put in a new clutch cam valve job and springs. The cam valve job and springs were not nessary just wanted more power. The car runs great has no problems and has made several 1/4 mile passes. I think ya'll may be under estimating the quality and durabilty of these cars.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

147k miles is fine on a LS car.

I'd offer $15k and walk away happy.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

The only things that scare me is if it is an automatic and the magnetic ride.

GM automatic trannys are known to go at any time...not so much the A6 but not many people I am thinking hav 150k+ miles on them that can chime in. I do think its better than the A4 and if it is well taken care of it may be 100% fine.

The other thing is the magnetic ride shocks are expensive.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

17 is high for that kind of mileage, like others are saying, 15k sounds more fair when you look at what's out there. we're already seeing 30k mile 2006 cars with an ask of 24

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3428192697.html

that said miles are not all created equal. if this guy ran it up and down the freeway there is very little wear that occurs in an engine at operating temp driven at low rpms. the drivetrain of a 150k mile car that received those miles being driven 4hrs at a time will be in better condition than a 50k mile car that was driven 10 minutes at a time. you're more likely to have sensor failure or something along those lines than a major mechanical problem in an LS engine. you could replace the injectors or at least have them cleaned just to be on the safe side. plugged fuel filters and or injectors are one of the few ways you can do internal damage via a lean condition.

you can test the engine with a cylinder leakdown test along with manifold vacuum. i have seen hondas people use in a similar manner have near perfect leakdown numbers even at 100k miles.

there will be some things that do wear just from rolling though. the wheel bearings are one of them. shocks are another and if it's mag ride you either disable it and replace with $250 z51 shocks or spend the $$$ to keep it oem. it would be amazing if they aren't leaking at 150k

if this car is an auto, and it sounds like it is, fluid changes are the #1 cause of failure or long life. typically i change any auto that i own every 30-40k miles. i know that some vehicles are now calling for 100k service lives but that's just excessive imo. an auto trans is always going to live longer being changed every 30-40k. the other wildcard of course is how it was driven. if it was ran hard the chance of failure was high. if it was driven down the freeway....well i have seen express cargo vans with 300k on the oe engine and tranny that were driven like this.

Last edited by racebum; 12-31-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
jackll
Advanced

Originally Posted by racebum
17 is high for that kind of mileage, like others are saying, 15k sounds more fair when you look at what's out there. we're already seeing 30k mile 2006 cars with an ask of 24

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3428192697.html

that said miles are not all created equal. if this guy ran it up and down the freeway there is very little wear that occurs in an engine at operating temp driven at low rpms. the drivetrain of a 150k mile car that received those miles being driven 4hrs at a time will be in better condition than a 50k mile car that was driven 10 minutes at a time. you're more likely to have sensor failure or something along those lines than a major mechanical problem in an LS engine. you could replace the injectors or at least have them cleaned just to be on the safe side. plugged fuel filters and or injectors are one of the few ways you can do internal damage via a lean condition.

you can test the engine with a cylinder leakdown test along with manifold vacuum. i have seen hondas people use in a similar manner have near perfect leakdown numbers even at 100k miles.

there will be some things that do wear just from rolling though. the wheel bearings are one of them. shocks are another and if it's mag ride you either disable it and replace with $250 z51 shocks or spend the $$$ to keep it oem. it would be amazing if they aren't leaking at 150k

if this car is an auto, and it sounds like it is, fluid changes are the #1 cause of failure or long life. typically i change any auto that i own every 30-40k miles. i know that some vehicles are now calling for 100k service lives but that's just excessive imo. an auto trans is always going to live longer being changed every 30-40k. the other wildcard of course is how it was driven. if it was ran hard the chance of failure was high. if it was driven down the freeway....well i have seen express cargo vans with 300k on the oe engine and tranny that were driven like this.
Very good input I had not thought about changing the mag shocks to standard. I checked they are not leaking. For the 7 to 9 thousnd dollars more for a lower mile car I could rebuild the engine in this car with quite a bit more HP and maybe even freshen up the trans. I plan on using this as a toy and at some point adding HP. I hope to end up with a low 11 high 10 second car that is street friendly.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jackll
Very good input I had not thought about changing the mag shocks to standard. I checked they are not leaking. For the 7 to 9 thousnd dollars more for a lower mile car I could rebuild the engine in this car with quite a bit more HP and maybe even freshen up the trans. I plan on using this as a toy and at some point adding HP. I hope to end up with a low 11 high 10 second car that is street friendly.
My '08 F55 car with 104K has no issues with shocks or transmission, even though I'm well over 300 1/4 mile passes and running the times you want.

If I ever do have a shock failure, I'd have no problem replacing it with a used one, since they work like new until the day they die.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 PM
jackll
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
My '08 F55 car with 104K has no issues with shocks or transmission, even though I'm well over 300 1/4 mile passes and running the times you want.

If I ever do have a shock failure, I'd have no problem replacing it with a used one, since they work like new until the day they die.
Just got off the phone with my dyno guy and he had pretty much the same idea. The 08 has a better trans, rear end and engine. I guess I'll save up some more money and be looking for an 08. What times are you running? What mods? What 60 foot?
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Jackb0524
Advanced

$17k is to high, you can find an 06 with less than 100k miles for $3-6k more. I would pay in the $20k range for a car with less than 100k miles, if you can afford it. Around the 150k miles your could possibly be putting in $3-$6k in tranny and other things.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Just got off the phone with my dyno guy and he had pretty much the same idea. The 08 has a better trans, rear end and engine. I guess I'll save up some more money and be looking for an 08. What times are you running? What mods? What 60 foot?
Thanks for your input.
GM improved the steering tolerances as well in '08.
As you stated in your previous post about underestimating the durability of today's cars, I agree with you. I'm currently driving a '98 Jeep Cherokee with 200,300 on the odometer and it runs GREAT! I just had to install a new cat in order to pass smog but other than that it runs awesome. When you know how to fix things the world is a much less scary place.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible purchase of an 06 with 147k miles

Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks for your input.
08+ is just like 01+ in c5's there is a marked price jump in 08. if you're doing a build it's not all that big of a deal. it's beyond simple to get an ls2 into the 11s and you can do it with an ls3 with a couple bolt ons.

we're all fairly sure the c6 will drop over the course of 2013. we just aren't sure how much. as i posted above we're already seeing nice 30k mile 2006 cars with asks of 24k.

i know one of the guys here on the forum picked up a 62k mile 2005 car for 18k. i would imagine a lot of the 40-75k mile cars will be good buys as people upgrade

if you can get this high miler around 15k it may be worth it. it's just not imo for any more money. not when half the mileage is maybe 3-4k more
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks for your input.
I don't think the A6 or rear is any better than an '06, but the engine and steering is much improved.

I run 11.0x - 11.1x in 1500' DA with 1.5x 60' times. In CA my PB is 10.82, but that's harder to do at the 1480' el in Phoenix. It's a bolt-on and mods are in my profile.
My racing buddy has an '07 cam only car running 10's here, so it can be done with the LS2.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for your input.
More of this crap again?

Quick Reply: Possible purchase of an 06 with 147k miles