C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad factory quality control? Dealer schenanigans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You're crackin' me up man. I needed a good laugh this morning at work.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 PM
NCorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00vettefan
"A) Bad quality control at the factory. Gert and his $35/hr + full benies and pension installing brake calipers needs a review. Somehow it got the black calipers from the brake option but maybe someone caught it last second and didn't bother to correct."

Apparently your first decision in determining "root cause" of the situation is to make known your own personal issues of the Bowling Green employees wages, benefits, and pension. Sell your corvette and buy a Kia or Hyundai!

Guess everything you buy at WallyWorld from China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Mexico, Pakistan, Columbia, and all the other imports is always 100% perfect. I guess it is ok to exploit those countries' employees who do not even make a livable wage!!!!
American and its lazy, selfish workers, hell yeah!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Apparently your first decision in determining "root cause" of the situation is to make known your own personal issues of the Bowling Green employees wages, benefits, and pension. Sell your corvette and buy a Kia or Hyundai!
How is that a personal issue with Bowling Green? I dont blame him and that is where I would go with it as well. Most likely a factory defect.

Why does him placing blame on the factory (which 99% sure it will be their fault) mean he should buy a Kia or a Hyndai?

Pro union guy, huh?

Guess everything you buy at WallyWorld from China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Mexico, Pakistan, Columbia, and all the other imports is always 100% perfect. I guess it is ok to exploit those countries' employees who do not even make a livable wage!!!!
How is it much different than giving the American worker about twice what he is really worth? That inflates the cost of the car. Sorry, buying a 50k+ car that cant even have the correct color brake calipers on it is terrible.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Could be! Regardless the dealer/Chevy should fix this one without a question. Just let them replace the miscolored caliper with the correct one, not repaint it.
Chevy wants you to be completely satisfied. They'll fix it under warranty.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
NCorvette
Advanced

What are you saying?! A factory job should pay at least $30 dollars an hour, it's so education-intense and isn't a blue collar job at all. In fact, we should unionize McDonald's, too, so we can pay $15 dollars for a burger and have workers being paid $23 dollars an hour. they deserve it, around all that grease. We will also talk about a third world country's terrible pay, despite not knowing a thing about their country's economy and economic standards.
Everyone knows that if you can't get the exact job that meets all your standards, you collect unemployment until you get your dream job! Forget ever working for less than you "deserve".
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by z51vett
I've never seen black on vett someone either painted 3 or someone stole the silver ones and they took the black of a trade in. If GM doesn't make black someone is lying about what happened. Years ago I was walking the lot on a Chev dealer and notice a corvette sitting on the back row went to look and discover all the lug nuts missing. The thieves were going to come back and steal the wheels later.
z51vett

Actually, on Chevys website they list these caliper color options.

No selection $0
Black $0
Dark Gray Metallic $595
Red $595
Silver $595
Yellow $595

All of the color selections require either the cross drilled rotor option or Magnetic Selective Ride Control. (The Gray is for the 60th Anniversary.)

How they got mismatched on his Corvette is a mystery but I'd bet they left the factory that way.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

OP, updates?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by NCorvette
What are you saying?! A factory job should pay at least $30 dollars an hour, it's so education-intense and isn't a blue collar job at all. In fact, we should unionize McDonald's, too, so we can pay $15 dollars for a burger and have workers being paid $23 dollars an hour. they deserve it, around all that grease. We will also talk about a third world country's terrible pay, despite not knowing a thing about their country's economy and economic standards.
Everyone knows that if you can't get the exact job that meets all your standards, you collect unemployment until you get your dream job! Forget ever working for less than you "deserve".
I'm not lazy or 30 year old with a degree that thinks he should be president of a large corp cause he spent mommy and daddys money for his education. Why should anyone work three jobs to live.
z51vett
Old 02-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Outlaw2013
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Called dealer today and they are stepping up. Ordered a black caliper and its on the way.

Kind of pain but I look at it as I got the black calipers without having to buy the brake option

Id rather they be black on this car than raw, so it works out.

FWIW, I still would have, and am going to, buy more GM products the rest of my life regardless of outcome.

Chevy runs deeper than fixable color snafus.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw2013
Called dealer today and they are stepping up. Ordered a black caliper and its on the way.

Kind of pain but I look at it as I got the black calipers without having to buy the brake option

Id rather they be black on this car than raw, so it works out.

FWIW, I still would have, and am going to, buy more GM products the rest of my life regardless of outcome.

Chevy runs deeper than fixable color snafus.

Thanks.
jmho...The Vette should have never left the dealership with a mismatched caliper..what esle did they miss..The dealer is the last QC step...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 AM
NCorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by z51vett
I'm not lazy or 30 year old with a degree that thinks he should be president of a large corp cause he spent mommy and daddys money for his education. Why should anyone work three jobs to live.
z51vett
You don't have to have three jobs, just live within your means. People don't get that and want to live the "American Dream" with expensive cars and houses. And once they get a taste of the "wealth", that's all they think they should have.
Rent an apartment or house, get a cheap car, live on a good budget.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 426 Likes on 301 Posts

Don't change a thing or in 20 or 30 years you will not be able to get your Bloomington Gold certification. You'll loose points since the car won't be like it came from the factory.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM
NCorvette
Advanced

Haha, the fiberglass will probably be deteriorated by then.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw2013
Hello all. Just purchased a new 2013 1LT Base. Arctic White w/ ebony interior, M6. No options. Love it. Picked it up with 7 miles on the odo. Early build. Dealer got it around 05/xx/2012, I bought it last Saturday.

Anyway, right to the chase:

I never noticed it while at the dealer, but after washing it I saw it. I have (2) black rear brake calipers, (1) black front brake caliper and wouldn't you know, a standard silver/raw brake front caliper on the drivers side.

Now I know that when you order the $500.00 cross drilled larger brake rotor option, it defaults your brake calipers to black. But I don't have that option. They should ALL be silver/raw, no?

I pulled the GMVIS report. No damage. CARFAX, no damage. Dealer swears nothing has happened to the car. Crawling around in/under it I find no signs of damage or repair. Looks like factory "chalk" marks on the under side of both wheel wells...etc. The thing is, shady dealers have been known to slip stuff passed people before. Maybe some of you heard of the Jalopnik incident recently where a dealer was caught trying to sell a front end smashed, and repaired, ZL1 Camaro as brand new and was only caught by a sleuthing forum-er. Obviously they have the resources and ability to fix a vehicle with out insurance or GMVIS reporting.

This really doesn't seem like that type of dealer. Besides, lets say it was front end wrecked and repaired. Wouldn't I be more likely to find (1) BLACK caliper on the front and the rest silver/raw rather than all black and (1) silver/raw?

So I'm left wondering:

A) Bad quality control at the factory. Gert and his $35/hr + full benies and pension installing brake calipers needs a review. Somehow it got the black calipers from the brake option but maybe someone caught it last second and didn't bother to correct.

B) They ran out of stock of silver/raw standard painted brake calipers and had to use what they had. I've heard stories of GM A bodies in the 71 strike ending up with different panels. I.E. Chevelle with Oldsmobile interior door panels and such.

C) Someone/manager took this car out and front ended it into something and then did a flawless repair job on it, save for not installing a black caliper to match, even though I'm sure they thought it was the right part per the VIN ordering or whatever.

What say you?

Thanks!
Disparaging the line workers at Bowling Green doesn't cut it in my book. Dealers have been known to borrow parts off a car in an emergency.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
NCorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Disparaging the line workers at Bowling Green doesn't cut it in my book. Dealers have been known to borrow parts off a car in an emergency.
Oh no, you have insulted the amazing vette workers and upset Mikey. Too bad you did not cut it in his book. Now your purpose in this world is lost.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Sounds like the new kid has a vendetta against GM as well as established forum members! Not a good start to make friends.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm glad your problem will be resolved. The vitriol spewed here just because someone belongs to a union and happens to earn a decent living because of it never ceases to amaze me.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad factory quality control? Dealer schenanigans?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is unlikely that would happen in the factory. In the old days if they ran out of a certain part they would substitute parts as the cars went down the line. Nowadays the parts are allocated to the car before it gets to the production line. The car doesn't get staged for production unless all the parts are on hand.

Bill
Ive seen this at the Plant. All the parts for the car converging in one spot at the same time. Amazing.

Clif
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by NCorvette
Oh no, you have insulted the amazing vette workers and upset Mikey. Too bad you did not cut it in his book. Now your purpose in this world is lost.
Odds are the dealer made a switch and the car the o/p bought became a donor car. If you worked at Bowling Green and read the o/p statement you'd be offended.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I'll stand by Mikey.

I used to build cars for GM (a long time ago). We never intentionally put the wrong parts on any car: 1) it usually wouldn't fit and 2) it would likely take longer than the allocated time for assembly.

Quick Reply: Bad factory quality control? Dealer schenanigans?