C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding m.c. V. Driving vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by C6York
Someone above has mentioned that Harleys cannot get up over 45...well I have to say that is not a correct statement...Maybe not as fast as some but its a life style and I enjoy it...Have swung my leg over just about every kind of cycle since 1960 and I can say that nothing in my life now can top my Harley or my Vette...yes I am old...57...but what the hell...I earned the right to have quality..

I also live in the town which Makes Harleys...York PA...and proud they are here..

Here is a pic of what I did for 20 years for a Hobby...Drag Racing Motorcycles...at 8.15 @ 165...i know a little bit about quickness
I dig the Kawi. A guy at my track still races a few of the Z bikes. Gotta love them! He was giving me some tips with my cruiser at the track. niec guy.

Most HD's around here dont ride that fast and thats ok, they are out for the "experience" as they tell me. And if they are happy I have a smile on my face for them. Just dont ride side by side with a huge group and hold up the road like they do.

Originally Posted by dklowrider
Ever wonder why the dumbazz Corvette crowd still buys a car with a 1950's ohv v8? Same deal.
Eric Buell takes a Sportster motor and put it in a crotch rocket frame. The crotch rocket crowd doesn't want it because it has a Harley motor. The Harley guys don't want it because it's a crotch rocket.
Harley didn't develope the V-rod so the Harley guys could ride the newest and best technology, they wanted to attract new customers. Where are they? They don't want it because it's a Harley. It does one thing well, like my old GS1100E, goes like hell in a straight line.
The Buell was hardly a sport bike. Maybe a little bit like one but hardly like a *** or Italian sport bike.

And sorry but you are wrong about the V-Rod engine. It was designed over 20 years ago and not to attract new buyers. Anyone remember the bike, the VR1000? It was a race bike, the engine was a race engine....then was adapted for the street and thrown in to a cruiser.

Originally Posted by boraxman
I ride a Vespa GTS250 I almost always ride m-thurs to work. California Rideshare gives me $3 a day for alternate form of transpo plus 70mpg and the fun factor is hard to beat
Very cool.

I have a hoot on my Victory. I ride with a lot of HD guys and yeah, they are loud and look nice but I liked the simplicity of my Victory. I did cross shop the V-Rod with my Hammer and to be honest it was faster after about 60 mph but till then I have it pinned. Top speed also the V-Rod I was on was done at 130, my Hammer can cruise right on past that with little effort.....well, other than me hanging on. haha

All bikes are cool. I have had a few enduro's and still have a Yamaha DT175, have now had a cruiser and a group a sport bikes. Doesnt matter what you ride just that you ride.

To the OP. It depends on my mood what I decide to take. My dad has a 2006 VTX1800 that he bought brand new. It almsot has 1,200 miles on it. lol
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
My dad has a 2006 VTX1800 that he bought brand new. It almsot has 1,200 miles on it. lol
Oh the VTX, that is one sweet machine! I had a "Blurple" (the blue/purple color shifting paint) VTX 1800 Retro...that thing was a ROCKET for a cruiser...so much power on tap, sideburner pipe...it was a blast!

I'll tell ya, the bike I miss most is my 1997 Suzuki TL1000S...that thing was amazing...it was a wheelie machine, so torquey/tractable and a WIDE/usable powerband...from idle ALL the way up. My Duc is very narrow, from 4K-8K, that's really it. The Duc is a BLAST though. Different style.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Buell was hardly a sport bike. Maybe a little bit like one but hardly like a *** or Italian sport bike.

And sorry but you are wrong about the V-Rod engine. It was designed over 20 years ago and not to attract new buyers. Anyone remember the bike, the VR1000? It was a race bike, the engine was a race engine....then was adapted for the street and thrown in to a cruiser.
Not to split hairs, but I can't call a Buell anything but a sport bike. Sure they later offered some variations of the original, but it is a sport bike to me. The foot controls, handlebar setup, fairing/bodywork (or lack of), basic riding position, all scream sportbike.
And I am very familiar with the VR1000. What I was saying was the V-Rod motorcycle, not the engine technology, was intended to lure new buyers because that bike in all it's variations was targeted to the go fast/hot rod- bike crowd that were mostly riding other brands. All in all, I believe that bike has a very narrow market.
Although I did see one that had the Road Glide frame mounted fairing and bags fitted to it. Very interesting machine.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 AM
FunToRide
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Goldwing too. Deciding which one to ride can be difficult. if weather permits the Goldwing wins!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
"Motorcylces: A poor man's way of going fast"

J/K

The - inverse - More bang for the buck.
Gamechanger - Hayabusa's at Texas Mile
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM
incabird
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been riding since I was a kid. I have had various kinds of bikes. Back a few years ago my wife started to take the riders safety course and had a mishap. She was doing less than 5 MPH and tipped over off the training bike. She ended up breaking her wrist and knee. It took her over four months to heal. She was afraid to ride with me after that. We used to ride together all the time and since she did not want to get back on a bike I decided to sell all of our bikes. Less than two years later the bug to ride again took over and I bought another bike, a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Sport Touring bike. My wife finally started to ride with me again and we enjoy taking it out from time to time. We even bought a Toy Hauler camper to take the bike with us on camping trips.

About a year and a half ago after one of our camping trips we thought about getting the wife a Can Am Spyder. She thought she might enjoy riding one since it would be easier than two wheels. After seeing the prices on on the touring model she made the suggestion to look at the Vettes since at the time, August 2011, the prices were coming down. We ended up buying a 2011 1LT coupe 6 spd manual. The car is so much fun the bike gets little use. I still enjoy getting out on the bike. As one of my riding buddies said after I got back into bikes, it is just something that kind of gets into your blood. I am fortunate to be able to have the choice. As I have gotten older with more aches and pains, the Vette seems to be the choice. You still can't beat the feeling of riding though. Both have their place.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Oh the VTX, that is one sweet machine! I had a "Blurple" (the blue/purple color shifting paint) VTX 1800 Retro...that thing was a ROCKET for a cruiser...so much power on tap, sideburner pipe...it was a blast!

I'll tell ya, the bike I miss most is my 1997 Suzuki TL1000S...that thing was amazing...it was a wheelie machine, so torquey/tractable and a WIDE/usable powerband...from idle ALL the way up. My Duc is very narrow, from 4K-8K, that's really it. The Duc is a BLAST though. Different style.
Take a look at my user name. I had a 1997 TL1000S. I will post some pics later.

The VTX is a nice riding bike. This is a spec II or some crap. lol

My Victory destroys the VTX though in performance. Cruiser and performance dont go that well together.

Originally Posted by dklowrider
Not to split hairs, but I can't call a Buell anything but a sport bike. Sure they later offered some variations of the original, but it is a sport bike to me. The foot controls, handlebar setup, fairing/bodywork (or lack of), basic riding position, all scream sportbike.
And I am very familiar with the VR1000. What I was saying was the V-Rod motorcycle, not the engine technology, was intended to lure new buyers because that bike in all it's variations was targeted to the go fast/hot rod- bike crowd that were mostly riding other brands. All in all, I believe that bike has a very narrow market.
Although I did see one that had the Road Glide frame mounted fairing and bags fitted to it. Very interesting machine.
Its not a cruiser but far from a sport bike. More of an aggressive standard but yes, I can see how you make that conclusion.

The V-Rod is a great bike, I want one. lol
Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Originally Posted by rob62
Another one.---It's the sad truth?
Sad for Harley. And your wallet.
Happy for Harley mechanics

Last edited by Ferocious C6; 03-21-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by incabird
I have been riding since I was a kid. I have had various kinds of bikes. Back a few years ago my wife started to take the riders safety course and had a mishap. She was doing less than 5 MPH and tipped over off the training bike. She ended up breaking her wrist and knee. It took her over four months to heal. She was afraid to ride with me after that. We used to ride together all the time and since she did not want to get back on a bike I decided to sell all of our bikes. Less than two years later the bug to ride again took over and I bought another bike, a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Sport Touring bike. My wife finally started to ride with me again and we enjoy taking it out from time to time. We even bought a Toy Hauler camper to take the bike with us on camping trips.

I had a 2009 Concours 14A...
Absolutely not my favorite bike. I had buyers remorse as soon as I drove it out of the showroom and into the parking lot.
Drinks gas quickly, gobbles up tires like there is no tomorrow and God forbid you drop it, Mama Kaw will kill you on replacement plastic parts.
It is a poor mans BMW...
I should have kept the BMW I traded for the C14.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by incabird
About a year and a half ago after one of our camping trips we thought about getting the wife a Can Am Spyder. She thought she might enjoy riding one since it would be easier than two wheels. After seeing the prices on on the touring model she made the suggestion to look at the Vettes since at the time, August 2011, the prices were coming down. We ended up buying a 2011 1LT coupe 6 spd manual.
My wife has a soft spot for the Can Am...she was really pushing me to get one...she even thought about getting one for herself...I swung a leg over one but really couldn't wrap my mind around it...especially when you look at the numbers (heavy, low power for the weight, 3 wheels, oh, and the price!, etc.)...and then there's this...it looks like a snowmobile and a fridge had some midnight drunken loving and this was their offspring...LOL...I saw that every time I see one...the looks my wife gives me...LOL...hey, I look at it this way, whether you are a metric/HD/sport bike/wing rider we can all *probably* agree that the can am is an abomination......ok, maybe not but I still like poking fun at it. But to the folks that ride 'em...hey, at least you are riding!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Very cool! I do like the looks off the Victory.

Take a look at my user name. I had a 1997 TL1000S. I will post some pics later.

The VTX is a nice riding bike. This is a spec II or some crap. lol

My Victory destroys the VTX though in performance. Cruiser and performance dont go that well together.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

You're not riding. A bicycle is closer to riding than you are on a can am.
You're just as bad as the idiots on their trikes.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Awwww come awwwwn...I've always wanted to join "the brothers of the third wheel" and go have some fun.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
It doesn't matter how experienced the rider it's the one on 4 wheels that take you out!
Started riding Harley's at 16 when Knuckle Heads, Pan heads and a few Shovel heads where around.
Lived the Biker life for about 20 years until it turned into a matter of Survival with too many cars on the road and Idiot drivers.

I gave it up because IMO, It's not a matter of IF you'll have an accident, it's a matter of WHEN
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Been riding for a lot longer than driving. I'm not even sure I could remember all the bikes I've had over the years. But as far as riding vs driving - I'm just happy to have the choice. And on a nice day, it isn't always an easy one! Often in nice weather, I choose my bike over car to save gas money and miles on the 'vette. And it sometimes comes down to how fast do I really feel like going vs. just cruising. Here's my current scoot - 2003 40th Anniversary Edition Suzuki Hayabusa.

Last edited by SeeFiveOhFun; 03-21-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

I would like to post a picture of my bikes but the only way I can do that is to use a URL. What am I missing here?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
I would like to post a picture of my bikes but the only way I can do that is to use a URL. What am I missing here?
Best bet is get a free account at photobucket.com, upload your photos, when viewing them in the thumbnail aspect within each library you will see a small icon in the upper right corner of each thumbnail when you roll your cursor over it, select "Get Links", then simply left click in the box containing the IMG code (message will say "Copied"). Come back to this message board and paste the link - presto, you're done

Get notified of new replies

To Riding m.c. V. Driving vette

Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Ya if you want to have an account here, and account there etc. Why can't the pictures just be uploaded like every other forum does. In fact this forum used to allow for uploading. I really am not into having my personal information spread thoughout the internet (world).
Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

70mpg? If sacrifice the 20mpg and ride my 1100, and get 50mpg, while being much quicker.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Funny thing, i drove a friend of mine back to the repair shop to pick up his Goldwing when it was ready, Yea that's right the repair shop, they break down too, anyway while in the dealership all the Honda guys can do is hang around and bash Harley's no one knew i was a Roadking guy and it struck me odd how the Wingnuts are so ready to hangout and bash Harley's and when i'm around Harley people they could care less what your choice of ride is, as long as you enjoy riding, huge difference in attitude, Harley didn't get to the top of the food chain by accident.

Quick Reply: Riding m.c. V. Driving vette