C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto or manual????

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've already owned a stickshift, you are best equipped to decide whether auto vs. manual suits your needs best.

For someone who has never owned a stickshift - and I was in the same boat a few months ago - I would say, go with the manual, it's fun enough that you have to try it. If you end up not liking it or find it too onerous for daily driving, then accept the los$ and trade it in for an automatic. Life is too short to have never owned a stickshift sports car. (I know that sounds elitist, but then again, I'm posting on a corvette forum.)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably because at the time the C6 was developed, GM was behind the curve on the development of automatic transmissions. Recall that the first C6 autos were 4 speeds. Why the 6L90E transmission found its way into the Cadillac CTS-V and ZL1 Camaro and not the ZR1/Z06 could be due to the fact that the transmission is a couple of inches longer than the the 6L80E. But make no mistake, assuming GM gets or has its act together, the C7 will be the Corvette generation in which the paddle shifting automatic transmission surpasses the manual from a performance stand point.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you own 2 cars and the none vette is auto, manual in my vette
Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paracord
Why do the big time racing vettes (Z06 / ZR1) only come in a manual then?
Has always been tradition, but things will change in time.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerVette
Has always been tradition, but things will change in time.
So they put them in because of tradition? Not because of any performance benefit?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
For me, it was the absolute correct choice to make in choosing a tranny.
I think you're on the wrong forum, we're discussing manual vs. automatic transmissions here, not.... kinky extracurricular behaviors.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

So they put them in because of tradition? Not because of any performance benefit?
Sports car have always been manuals. You don't agree with that...?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
paracord
Racer

Sports car have always been manuals. You don't agree with that...?
Yes. But because manuals give the operator better control over the car.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Yes. But because manuals give the operator better control over the car.
Yes they did. But with tech improvements not as much as before. And exotics are moving away from traditional manuals since they don't react as quickly and DCT trans.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM
paracord
Racer

Yes they did. But with tech improvements not as much as before. And exotics are moving away from traditional manuals since they don't react as quickly and DCT trans.
Euro and Japanese exotics are moving that way. And even with those cars, it just depends on the type of racing you are doing as to whether or not they will provide better performance. There are still many applications where direct human input in the form of a traditional manual is better.

There will always be manual transmissions. There is always a place for them, they will probably always be preferred by purists, and they are much, much different from the auto transmission in the current Corvette.

To get back to the point of the thread.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
Thanx for the post! I had thought there was a major software change for the '12/13, but couldn't find any detail on it. Although far from broken in, I find the paddle shifts to be virtually instantaneous, contrary to what I've read on the pre-'12 A-6 writeups. For me, it was the absolute correct choice to make in choosing a tranny.
I doubt my 09 A6 shifts like a 12/13 with the updates but it is far from having any lag between shifts.
When new, I did notice it seemed slow to shift and not quite instant.
But, after about 5,000 miles things started to change and now with 15,000 miles, it shifts great and nothing like it did when it was new.
Just cruising slow around town with the Paddles there is some delay between shifts but nothing like a long delay.
And, the amount of Throttle applied is directly related to how quick the shifts will be.
The more Throttle the quicker the shifts and anything near 1/2 throttle or more, the shifts are instant
I don't bother with the Paddles when doing WOT.
Just leave it in Sport without Paddles active, put peddle down and hang on.
It'll rev to Red Line and shift through the gears without hitting the limiter

Last edited by Dif; 04-29-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Autos boooring.....nuf said
Well when your doors are blown off you can make up some new excuses to tell your friend like i missed a gear or he had the jump bla bla bla shifting is fun but auto cars can run hard at the track if that your thing
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
In the real world, over 70+% get an auto on their Vette....just saying.
I wonder how much of this is due to demographics ? After all the older customer would not want to shift gears as much possibly due to health issues. Also to consider is that the art of shifting a manual transmission seems to be a forgotten skill. The young people today are more likely to have grown up with automatics and hence that is all they know.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

This debate will go on as long as drivers have a choice with each camp defending their choice

Would it be fair to say a stick takes more skill to drive fast because you actually have to select the right gear?

The auto is much easier becuse you can put it in drive and push the gas down?

I am not trying to put down one camp or the other they are both great cars and I have had one now the other I have the stick now and I am only 60 so when I get a little older I might get another auto
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by slolane
This debate will go on as long as drivers have a choice with each camp defending their choice

Would it be fair to say a stick takes more skill to drive fast because you actually have to select the right gear?

The auto is much easier becuse you can put it in drive and push the gas down?

I am not trying to put down one camp or the other they are both great cars and I have had one now the other I have the stick now and I am only 60 so when I get a little older I might get another auto
No doubt it takes more skill, especially to drive one good..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,490 Likes on 801 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
There are days I enjoy shifting and then I have days I miss the convenience of the automatic. I'm really split on the subject. In a perfect world, a guy would have one of each.
I do. They each have their own merits. FWIW, I rarely use the paddles. I find the shift points I have programmed in S mode work quite well.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by londonk
Well when your doors are blown off you can make up some new excuses to tell your friend like i missed a gear or he had the jump bla bla bla shifting is fun but auto cars can run hard at the track if that your thing
No disrespect but I don't need or use excuses. If I get beat it's by a faster car....plain and simple. If you think because you have a auto you can't lose you're lining up for an embarassment. If it makes you feel like a tough guy good for you!

Get notified of new replies

To auto or manual????

Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was buying I drove them both and they were both terrific so it's really about your preference. I bought the M6 just because I like the manual.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM
goober51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1st new car was a '69 Nova SS M4..I did a lot of racing back then,and I must say I never lost to an auto, unless it was a faster car,or I missed a gear..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Duro
Racer

I bought a auto this time around.Not because I can't or don't like driving a stick. But because I wanted my wife to be able to drive and enjoy the car too. She doesn't know how to drive a stick shift. And I really don't want to be the one to try to teach her. And she has made it pretty clear she has no interest in learning.

Quick Reply: auto or manual????