C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever notice this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Having been a moldmaker all my life, I can tell you that it is a date core. As others have mentioned, it identifies the year and month it was produced.

If you look at the non-cosmetic side of some plastic or die-cast parts they may have date cores, but most probably don't. I worked at Rochester Products in an earlier life and all the carb bodies had them.

The > < is the recycle symbol, with the type of plastic between the arrows, and the number below it is most likely the part number.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

My grandson in law works for GM at the tech center in Warren, MI and he said if he told me he would have to kill me. Sorry but discuss it any more and you will discuss it more.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 PM
kliph
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Having been a moldmaker all my life, I can tell you that it is a date core. As others have mentioned, it identifies the year and month it was produced.

If you look at the non-cosmetic side of some plastic or die-cast parts they may have date cores, but most probably don't. I worked at Rochester Products in an earlier life and all the carb bodies had them.

The > < is the recycle symbol, with the type of plastic between the arrows, and the number below it is most likely the part number.
All this time I thought it was an ancient Chinese enigma.
Once you found it, for good luck, you send each responder $100.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:13 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
It's an ancient form of pentagram.

You take the month and year in which your car was made, cross reference the stamping number on your transmission case, then divide by the numerical value of the grid dot which references your trim package.

you forgot that you need to multiply the numerical value by the number of gears in your corvette before you divide.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:38 AM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

There you have it,obviously were all just being silly.32degrees f. out over here.getting bored already
Old 11-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GL10DR
you forgot that you need to multiply the numerical value by the number of gears in your corvette before you divide.
Good catch Mike, I always forget that.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Just the date the mold was made. The places that make parts like this have hundreds if not thousands of molds and they have a limited use. It is easier to mark the mold than to put some kind of serial number on them and then try to maintain paper or computer records. You can just look at the mold before putting it into the machine. And if parts start coming out bad you can easily identify the mold it came from so it can be repaired or thrown away.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:45 AM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Possibly the winning powerball numbers.... Put that thing back on right away and drive down to your nearest 7-11.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

The missing half of the Aztec calendar that proves the world will go on past 2012?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:20 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Termites.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Just the date the mold was made. The places that make parts like this have hundreds if not thousands of molds and they have a limited use. It is easier to mark the mold than to put some kind of serial number on them and then try to maintain paper or computer records. You can just look at the mold before putting it into the machine. And if parts start coming out bad you can easily identify the mold it came from so it can be repaired or thrown away.
FWIW: All the molds I've built/seen/worked on in the past 46 years had a tool number stamped on them somewhere but never in the molding area -- as the OP shows here -- it would be on the outside of the frame, visible to anyone while the mold was shut and stored on a rack. From that tool number they could look up whatever they needed to know about the tool.

The customers for whom the parts are being made don't want somebody else's numbers/codes, etc. molded onto their parts.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

I will defer to your experience. My experience comes from the side working on a "truck" that was used to move molds in a plant that made injection molded parts for Chrysler. I got a brief education on how the machines worked but my goal was to know how to design the controls of the truck for loading/unload/moving/storing molds. Yes, these were BIG molds and the "truck" was more like a hydraulic table with a driver's cab that could be attached to the machine or storage shelf and carry up to 10 tons. I never saw any "little" parts like the OP's.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill Gates is tracking shift ***** and giving away trips to Disney World. This is not a joke or a hoax. It can be verified by Miss Arthur Love, spiritual adviser, and United Nations Fraud Recovery team leader by sending your email address, name and bank account information with cell phone numbers.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever notice this?