C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Planning

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hurdle #4 - Navigation

I had some doubts about this one as the Corvette is sitting in the garage under a Mustang on a steel lift. I couldn't imagine the antenna working. To my surprise, it worked perfectly, knew exactly where I was, and listed off all the local restaurants. Good deal!
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2015, 03:31 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about things on the whole. When I was splicing up the harnesses, I noticed that there was a radio input that ties to the parking brake switch. Assuming that this was meant to prevent me from watching movies while driving down the highway, I opted to connect the wire to GND instead; constant GND as opposed to the switched GND that comes through the e-brake switch. I put the car in gear, released the brake, and popped in a DVD.

Alan approves of this install!
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2015, 03:43 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Well...

I knew it couldn't last. I tried the steering wheel controls and NOTHING! The car wasn't originally equipped with SWC, but I was hopeful that it might have the requisite wiring nonetheless. The clockspring has 7 wires, which should mean more than enough conductors...and I bought a 2011 steering wheel with SWC...but sadly, nothing.

I wonder it that's what would have plugged into the mystery connector on the back of my stereo...
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2015, 05:14 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

So, just about everything is functional with the exception of the SWC which I wasn't banking on anyway...that would have been a happy bonus. Now I'm stuck trying to jam 10lbs of crap into what looks like a 5lb bag without mistakenly disconnecting anything. I put down the top and hung a spotlight to maximize my chances.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2015, 08:03 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Well...I guess that's it...about 5 weeks from start to finish...maybe 40 hours of garage time...10 of which were spent watching TV and drinking Coronas...10 looking for tools...2 hours of taking pictures and posting to the internet...another 10 just standing around and thinking about the mysteries of the mechanical universe...and maybe 8 of actual labor. The painter took 3 weeks to get my parts back to me after his ill-timed heart attack, but I'll cut him some slack. I hope you were somewhat entertained...maybe you even picked up something useful for your own project. Thanks for reading...on to the next project.
Attached Images    
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Very good, and I'm glad to see that it was a total success (except for the SWCs).

You appear to have a similar radio to my aftermarket (Kenwood), and my SWCs work fine. I had it installed by Double D, when they had a shop in Alabama, so I have no idea how they did it. I seem to recall that a special harness was required. Mine's a 2009 so has somewhat limited SWC (just volume up and down, and change tracks or stations, up and down).

Question: Did you install new speakers when you did all this? If so, what kind and which ones? Add a sub? And do they sound significantly better?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

No...I stuck with the stock speakers and no amplifier for the time being. Honestly, I think they sound terrific, but I'm not really one for loud music. I thought the stock stereo sounded great...even while cruising along with the top down...and that was only crappy FM or CD. The new stereo sounds way better than that...especially the satelite, the iPod input, or Pandora...but the DVD sounds the best. I sat in there and watched half a movie the other day because I was mesmerized by the sound. I can't imagine wanting for more volume at this point. I prefer the sound of the engine most of the time. I think I'd go for cut outs before I go for an amp and new speakers.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:20 AM
rbcsci
Instructor

Default Update

Well, its been about a year since I started this thread so I thought I'd post an update.

1. The satellite radio hasn't worked out at all. I'm not sure if it was the placement of the antenna below the vent on the dash or maybe the antenna is just junk, but I can never get a satellite signal - even with the top down. Fortunately, I have SiriusXM on my iPhone and the Bluetooth works just fine so I can still listen. I really don't want to tear the dash apart again just to address this so I'll probably wait for some future project before I fix it.

2. I had a HUD-specific windshield installed this summer. Surprisingly, the HUD display doesn't look any different at all to me. It was fine with the original non-HUD windshield, but I was hoping that it would be even better with the new glass. Bit of disappointment.

3. The stock speakers are a bit on the weak side. I hadn't noticed it before, probably because I was mesmerized by the Borlas, but now that I have the new stereo, the quality of the sound leaves a bit to be desired.

4. Speaking of the Borlas, I've noticed that when they are cold, there is a metallic rattling noise that comes from them as I accelerate. Once they are hot, everything sounds right, but it seems like there is something loose inside the mufflers. I've checked it on the lift and its definitely coming from within the mufflers. It sounds terrible for the first 10 minutes that you're driving. I wish I had noticed it sooner - I might have had a warranty claim.

5. I also keep getting "Service Active Handling System" alerts on the dash. Its usually right after I hit a bump. I should probably research that a bit.

So there's my update...not that anyone was asking. Its about time to start something new. Maybe I should direct some time and money beneath the hood this time.

I'm still contemplating my next project
The following users liked this post:
Landru (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:47 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I can't tell you why the satellite signal isn't working, but i can tell you i installed my satellite radio antenna on top of the duct also and it works good there, of course sometimes you will get no signal, but that's with all satellite radios. just letting you know the problem is most likely somewhere else. Good Luck.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:50 AM
rbcsci
Instructor

Good to know. Maybe this is why the guy sold me the radio after he had it installed in his car for a while.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

I just read this entire thread. Informative and entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to document the process.
Have a good Christmas.

Quick Reply: Poor Planning