C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Planning

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:50 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I tore it apart, I wrote down every step, every connector, and every fastener that I removed. ONce I started reassembly, I've been highlighting each step in reverse order as I go. I'm right about at 3/4 now, but I sent the radio bezel and the gauge surround out for a coat of paint so it looks like I'll be stalled for a little bit while I wait. In the meantime, I can focus on the installation of the Kenwood DNX890HD that I picked up from a fellow forum member. I shot an email to Dennis at Double D Mods for some help with the installation parts and he was very helpful. I hope to score a back-up camera and some other odds and ends.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

So far, this thread han't been all that educational so I thought today I might share a minor triumph that might help someone else.

As part of my interior refresh, I'm changing out my shifter ****, shifter boot, and e-brake boot. Here's a little trick for removing the e-brake button prior to removing the e-brake boot.

The button has a little hole in it and the lever has a plastic tang that fits into the hole to prevent the button from coming off. Some buttons seem to pop off just by pulling on them, but I had one that was not so cooperative. Here's what the button looks like after it has been removed.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2015, 03:17 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

So I grabbed an old miniature flat head screwdriver and bent over the tip at a right angle. Then I was able to slide it down inside the e-brake handle to actuate the tang on the lever. After that, I was able to pull the buttom off with no resistance.
Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

My new ebony console arrived yesterday so I swapped that in this morning. Looks like I'll be making the change from cashmere to ebony one piece at a time as they pop up on auction sites and then selling off my cashmere parts in the same manner.
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2015, 07:57 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Finally picked up my painted parts yesterday from the painter. There was a slight delay as he had a heart attack a couple days after I dropped the parts off at his house. Not wanting to be insensitive to his condition, I refrained from calling or texting to check on progress. I figured that he had much larger concerns than Corvette parts. In the back of my mind, however, I was worried that the worst might happen and then I'd never see my parts again. That would be an awkward conversation with the widow at the funeral. Yikes!

So you can imagine my relief when he texted me yesterday to say the parts were ready. I zipped right over and picked up my gauge surround, my radio bezel, and the steering wheel pods. Total cost was $75 for the paint and $75 for labor.

Now its time to start putting things back together.
Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 PM
chrisk85085
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield

Originally Posted by rbcsci
I'm sure there's something different, but everything I have read indicates that the HUD will show up just fine on a non-HUD windshields...even in daylight. I've even seen pictures that looked pretty good.

In the end, however, I need a new windshield anyways so I figure I'll try the HUD and, if it doesn't look good, I'll pay the extra $$$ to have a HUD windshield installed.
I currently have a C6 worth HUD but years ago I had a 1995 Grand Prix with HUD. It was a $1000 windshield that had a special plastic film where the HUD was for clarity. I would think this one did too. Guess not
Old 02-07-2015, 03:20 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Putting the center console back together using some plastic welding rod and a tiny torch. The bezels for the shift boot and the cup holder are plastic welded/melted into place at the factory. It took a bit of patient trimming to remove them and now I'm adding material back in to secure them...trying to be extra careful not to bubble the new paint from the backside.
Attached Images   

Last edited by rbcsci; 02-07-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:38 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Almost back together with my Alcantara shift boot, e-brake boot, and shift ****. JUst need to sort out the stereo harness first.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 03:45 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Next step...intalling the back-up camera and routing the wires to the dash
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

I think I found a reasonable spot to mount the camera that will only require 1 new hole and doesn't stick out too much.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2015, 07:39 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Now to route the camera output wire to the stereo in the dash and hopefully find some available power nearby.

First step was to yank the tail lights on the driver side and find a good spot to get the video cable into the trunk area. The camera came with a handy little hole saw so I found what I felt was a good spot. I pulled the carpet away from the back wall a little bit to make sure that the drill didn't puncture through it.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2015, 07:45 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Not wanting the cable to fray over time, I installed a rubber grommet in the through-hole. I connected the extension cable and taped it up for good measure.
Attached Images    
Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 AM
rbcsci
Instructor

Dennis at Double D suggested that I run the +VDC power to the camera from the console up front, but since the power cable is so short, I opted to wire into the driver's side reverse lamp. The wires are right behind the tail lamps so I trimmed off some insultaion, soldered on the power leades, and taped it all up. I'm banking on the reverse lamp colors to be +VDC green and -VDC black.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:00 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Yikes! Ths might be the most daunting part of this entire project! I wonder what the odds are of everything working.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2015, 12:14 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Man, you must have the patience of Job. I admire you for taking on such a project ... it's just not something I'd ever attempt to do. In fact, I'd like to have new speakers to go along with my aftermarket radio, but I'm afraid to pull the door panels off ... figure I'd never get them back on right.

It's a very interesting project, and almost done looks like. And with the big storm heading to Mass you should have plenty of time to work on it for the next few days.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Thanks man! Patience is definitely key. I'm just hanging out in the garage; alternating between working the install and watching the Blues Brothers. At this moment, I'm perplexed by a missing plug for the stereo. I'm really hoping that it didn't get lost behind the dash. It's like a scavenger hunt.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Houston...we have lift off! I've spent the past hour or so trying to find a connector that I'm not really sure ever existed. I put out a post looking for help, but that's been moving slow so I decided to just plug everything else in and see what happens...

Get notified of new replies

To Poor Planning

Old 02-08-2015, 02:27 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Hurdle #1 - The HUD works!!!!!

I flipped through the various options, tried all the buttons, and revved the motor to see the tach sweep - HOORAY!
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2015, 03:10 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Hurdle #2 - Power to the Radio

It looks like I've got juice and the speakers work.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2015, 03:15 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Hurdle 3 - Back-Up Camera

Had to start the engine for this one. Then I threw it in reverse and voila! - the camera works! Turns out there was an old Honda behind me.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Poor Planning