C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I doing my car a disservice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:35 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Sure, if you go 3,500 you blow out some but full red line more. The question is if the soot stasis at the 2k rpm level is harmful. I doubt it is.

Engines are so enormously much better today than before as are the fuels. The wisdom of our ancestors may have been valid in C2 days but today is likely all superseded and obsolete.

Like over in bike-land where I mostly exist, there is still raging about proper break in procedures. Very likely, as with autos, there is none needed because the new assembly procedures are vastly superior to the crude methods used 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.

If mfgs still recommend this, it's to make the purchase seem more valuable than it would otherwise and in bikes, so the newbie doesn't kill himself right out of the box. After all, in bikes it's a common and inexpensive bike which can break 3.0 secs on 0-60 and almost all of them break 12 secs on the quarter with some breaking 10 seconds.

Performance like this in the hands of a new owner needs at least the 600 miles to get used to.
Yea...I agree with your break in reasoning. But I still somewhat used the old school method of break in on my 2009 Dyna. Being air cooled and with so much weight being slung around I figured it couldn't hurt. And while Harleys are definitely better built these days...I still think the overall motor design still has its short comings.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yea...I agree with your break in reasoning. But I still somewhat used the old school method of break in on my 2009 Dyna. Being air cooled and with so much weight being slung around I figured it couldn't hurt. And while Harleys are definitely better built these days...I still think the overall motor design still has its short comings.
The Big Twins, the 911 series and the BMW boxer bikes all have issues with poor engine designs which need to persist due to the installed base. The amount of improvements in all these engines is a tribute to how well the engineers have been able to improve them while still satisfying the base (most of the base with the 911).

Gee, look at the HD. One cylinder blocks the airflow to the other and the rods are still knife and fork - yet it's as reliable as a Goldwing. That's astounding, really.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:33 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,374 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

The Big Twins, the 911 series and the BMW boxer bikes all have issues...
You being a biker guy, what is your impression of the Ducati Diavel?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:35 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
You being a biker guy, what is your impression of the Ducati Diavel?
That class of bike isn't my cup of tea but of that class, that one is the only one I'd consider. It is so clearly the leader that I'm surprised any dealer can keep any in stock. You buying one?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:36 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,374 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

That class of bike isn't my cup of tea but of that class, that one is the only one I'd consider. It is so clearly the leader that I'm surprised any dealer can keep any in stock. You buying one?
Naw, I'm an old, fat, Mom, apple pie, and Harley guy. Talked to a Ducati guy and he said they handle well, plenty of power going and stopping, and are a great bang for the buck. He said stop in to a local dealer and they will let you ride one. Haven't found many folks even heard of them, let alone ridden one.
But a 160hp 1200cc bike? Cool!

Last edited by ruxvette; 09-22-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I doing my car a disservice?